My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Item: Heading into this season, just about everybody favors the San Antonio Spurs to win the Western Conference now that Shaquille O'Neal has been moved by the Los Angeles Lakers to Miami. But there are those who believe the Spurs are overrated, and their collapse against the Lakers in the playoffs last spring was an indication how vulnerable they still are.

What it really means: The Lakers are no longer a factor, which automatically means the Spurs, Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings become the teams to beat in the West. Neither of the latter two have beaten the Spurs in a playoff series. In fact, since the Spurs lost to the Utah Jazz in the 1998 conference semifinals, the Lakers are the only team in the Western Conference to beat them in a playoff series. In other words, to not favor the Spurs would be naïve at best.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7797100/2

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't know what happened to the Spurs, coach and team, in the current 4-game losing streak. It has to be an aberration. To say it is an "indication" of Spurs vulnerability is just stupid, but what do you expect from (most) sports "journalists".

If Tim, as Best Player and Mr Franchise, isn't going to be the leader imposing his will and kicking butts and putting fires in bellies, who will it be?

I think signing TP would give him a higher stature and leadership role to make the Spurs his team.

Brent's skills, self-confidence, age, experience, basketball savvy, maturity, and vocality are a good basis for leadership, but he's too new. It would be great if stepped into that role (having him alone speak at the scrimmage was great), even as 6th man with lotsa minutes.

I think Spurs have all the skills and coaching they need, but who's to be the leader that was so absent vs LAL?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think signing TP would give him a higher stature and leadership role to make the Spurs his team.
    I think so too. I think if Tony's contract were taken care of, then he would have more confidence in himself and carry a little more respect. Someone needs to step into that leadership role and I think it should be Tony. I don't think the contract is going to get done right now, but I'm still hoping so.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, since the Spurs lost to the Utah Jazz in the 1998 conference semifinals, the Lakers are the only team in the Western Conference to beat them in a playoff series.
    No dumbass, no. Phoenix Suns...1st round...2000..ring a bell?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't ask journalists to actually check their facts, Duff.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Item: Heading into this season, just about everybody favors the San Antonio Spurs to win the Western Conference now that Shaquille O'Neal has been moved by the Los Angeles Lakers to Miami. But there are those who believe the Spurs are overrated, and their collapse against the Lakers in the playoffs last spring was an indication how vulnerable they still are.

What it really means: The Lakers are no longer a factor, which automatically means the Spurs, Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings become the teams to beat in the West. Neither of the latter two have beaten the Spurs in a playoff series. In fact, since the Spurs lost to the Utah Jazz in the 1998 conference semifinals, the Lakers are the only team in the Western Conference to beat them in a playoff series. In other words, to not favor the Spurs would be naïve at best.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7797100/2
    Yes Nobody have beat theS purs other than the Mighty Lakers but that will change this season I think the Wolves and Rockets have a very high possibility of beating the Spurs in the playoffs.

Are the Spurs overrated?

I would say YES!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a lot of people are forgetting about the Pistons, and I think the Pacers will be even tougher this year, but in the West? Minnesota isn't going to be able to hang with us. Minnesota = Old.

I don't really see Houston being any better, they traded out one ball hog for another...then again, Juwan Howard has a habit of injuring players, so anything can happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota isn't going to be able to hang with us. Minnesota = Old.
    I wouldn't count them out. Cassell and Sprewell are damn clutch in the playoffs. Garnett is getting better every year. Hoiberg, Wally and Hudson can shoot it.

They will be, along with the Spurs, the team to beat in the West.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since when do we give a rat's ass about anything that the media says negatively about the Spurs. It's their status quo anyways. Overrated, under-rated, medicated...it's doesn't matter. When it gets down to it, it's up to those people wearing the jersey's and the ones who scribble on the white board to get the job done. ALL OF THOSE SAME MEDIA people didn't give Detroit a snowball's chance and then, the AVALANCHE CAME IN AND LEFT LAKER BODY PARTS ALL OVER THE COURT.
    Fred predicted sweep for LA, little did he realize...he didn't understand the true meaning of over-rated.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh. The good ole days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh. The good ole days.
    Yeah, 15 years before you got here, and before this place was overrun by trolls and alts.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, 15 years before you got here, and before this place was overrun by trolls and alts.
    I was a Spurs fan back then, got.

Thread Information