Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    I thought Garden State was horribly overrated. When that movie ended I felt like I had just sat through an extended infomercial for the ing Shins. And as much as I love Natalie Portman, she couldn't save the movie from coming off as cliche. It was just another angsty teen movie to me.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is pretty underrated - and I agree that Punch Drunk Love was very good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    just curious, how would you rank the wes anderson movies? i'd probably go like this:

tenenbaums
    rushmore
    bottle rocket
    life aquatic

very close between rushmore and bottle rocket.
    I don't know if I would put bottle rocket above Life Aquatic, but I wasn't that big of a fan of either of those two. I think that Tenenbaums is his masterpiece, I doubt that he'll ever be able to match it. I liked Rushmore a lot, but it isn't even close to Tenenbaums, but it is way better than the other two.

Have you seen The Squid and the Whale? He produced it, it's pretty good, I'd put it right below Rushmore on the list.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Another underrated movie is Trainspotting.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but not as much as VANILLA SKY -- possibly one of the top 25 most overrated movies of all time
    I didn't know anyone liked Vanilla Sky. I can't really call it overrated because pretty much everyone agrees that it sucked.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That J Lo and Ben Affleck movie Gigli was highly underrated

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Overrated, Star Wars Episodes I-III. What a disappointment.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    What about Mulholland Drive? I didn't care for it too much. Like American Beauty it had some good performances (and some quality lesbian action) but overall it made no damn sense. I later read something that said that the director intentionally put stuff in there that didn't make sense just to confuse the audience and make them wonder even more. For me that's just a bunch of artistic masturbation.

Ironically, a highly underrated movie is Mulholland Falls.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i will have to respectfully disagree with you there. i thought it was a turd up there with the crow 2.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    underrated: blood simple.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Underrated: Ghost World

I can't think of anything else right now.

I love that movie.

Overrated: American Beauty. Didn't that win like every Oscar imaginable?

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I didn't know anyone liked Vanilla Sky. I can't really call it overrated because pretty much everyone agrees that it sucked.

That movie was horrible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Columbia Lions
    never mind.
    Last edited by FromWayDowntown; 06-27-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    What about Mulholland Drive? I didn't care for it too much. Like American Beauty it had some good performances (and some quality lesbian action) but overall it made no damn sense. I later read something that said that the director intentionally put stuff in there that didn't make sense just to confuse the audience and make them wonder even more. For me that's just a bunch of artistic masturbation.

Mulholland Drive kicked ass, that movie is great. I can see how people don't like it, because David Lynch is an acquired taste. If you thought that Mullholand Drive was bad then you would hate Twin Peaks. About the only work of his that isn't a total mind is The Straight Story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    More Underrated films: Once Upon a Time in America, Miller's Crossing, and A Simple Plan

Highly reccomend all of those.

1.21 JIGGAWATTS! Lebowski Brickowski's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Thin Red Line is Underrated

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Thin Red Line is Underrated
    that's because no one can sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    More Underrated films: Once Upon a Time in America, Miller's Crossing, and A Simple Plan

Highly reccomend all of those.
    how about barton fink, the movie they wrote when they had writer's block during miller's crossing. it's probably my favorite movie of theirs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    that's because no one can sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.
    No , I thought that movie sucked ass. I even tried to watch it a second time, it's like somebody drugged me, again. I nodded off both times I watched it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Overrated = Forrest Gump

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    how about barton fink, the movie they wrote when they had writer's block during miller's crossing. it's probably my favorite movie of theirs.
    I haven't seen that one yet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Overrated = Forrest Gump
    Blasphemy.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Mulholland Drive kicked ass, that movie is great. I can see how people don't like it, because David Lynch is an acquired taste. If you thought that Mullholand Drive was bad then you would hate Twin Peaks. About the only work of his that isn't a total mind is The Straight Story.
    The thing about Lynch is that half the time he's making up the story as he's shooting. It makes for interesting viewing if you keep that in mind.

Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Overrated: X-Men United

Thoroughly disappointed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Underrated:

Gattaca - I really believe that movie hit to close to home on the idea of visitors from other planets and has been panned.

The Machinist - Chris wilkins (?) deserved the academy awards for his troubled role, but surprisingly, the movie came and went with little fanfare.

The Day After - kids can't watch this movie enough times

Overrated:

The Davinchi Code - A lot of hype for a mediocre movie.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    David Lynch, in general, is artistic masturbation. I personally love his films, but seldom spend time arguing with people who don't because they are so intentionally weird that I can understand when people aren't willing to make the leap.

Speaking of Lynch, I'd put Lost Highway on my underrated list.

As for some of the other films I've seen on this forum... I think I must have a different view than many as to how a movie has been received. I've seen lots of films pop up on the underrated side that were critical darlings, but didn't make a huge splash in the box office.

For example, I'd put The Sixth Sense on my list of overrated films because it was so loved by critics and did well in the box office. However, while his subsequent films have been crap, I wouldn't count them as overrated because they've been pretty universally panned in reviews.

Could be I'm overthinking the whole thing.

Thread Information