Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't a poll. I just starting watching it more recently because boxing has become so god awful lately. I'm wondering which one is generally considered better? Which champs in each division are better too? Is Emelianenko the best Heavyweight? I know Lidell is the best right?
    Last edited by Quadzilla99; 07-05-2006 at 12:26 AM.

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pay per view for UFC this Saturday is gonna be a good one.

Its the rubber match for heavyweights Tim Sylvia and Andre Orlowski (spelled wrong) is gonna be interesting and of course o Ortiz is gonna beat the crap out of Ken Shamrock again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Thanks for nothing!

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This isn't a poll. I just starting watching it more recently because boxing has become so god awful lately. I'm wondering which one is generally considered better? Which champs in each division are better too? Is Emelianenko the best Heavyweight? I know Lidell is the best right?
    The consensus is that Pride is better overal...

HW - Pride dominates the UFC. There are 4-5 Pride HW's that would kill AA / Silvia, which is all the UFC has at HW right now (Vera is on the rise). Fedor would finish them both in less than a minute...

LHW - Wanderlei Silva would beat Chuck Liddell IMO. He's fighting in the open weight tourny in Pride right now...he's the only non-HW. Shogun, Arona, little Nog...there are others that could challenge Chuck.

MW - Franklin is right there with Dan Henderson. Anderson Silva coming to the UFC helps the UFC's cause. MW is fairly even.

WW - UFC is pretty well represented at 170 lbs. Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, BJ Penn, Karo Parisyan, Sean Sherk (now a LW), Diego Sanchez, Jon Fitch, etc.

LW - Gomi is light years ahead of everyone else and right up there in the lb for lb argument. The UFC is getting stronger after bringing back the LW's though. Jens Pulver is back and Sherk dropped down...still way behind Pride.

Pride's weight classes are a little different, so it's hard to make some of the comparisons fairly. But overall, most MMA fans agree that Pride is stronger overall...

You can DL the Pride PPV from last weekend in my thread below...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

HW - Pride dominates the UFC. There are 4-5 Pride HW's that would kill AA / Silvia, which is all the UFC has at HW right now (Vera is on the rise). Fedor would finish them both in less than a minute...

LHW - Wanderlei Silva would beat Chuck Liddell IMO. He's fighting in the open weight tourny in Pride right now...he's the only non-HW. Shogun, Arona, little Nog...there are others that could challenge Chuck.

MW - Franklin is right there with Dan Henderson. Anderson Silva coming to the UFC helps the UFC's cause. MW is fairly even.

WW - UFC is pretty well represented at 170 lbs. Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, BJ Penn, Karo Parisyan, Sean Sherk (now a LW), Diego Sanchez, Jon Fitch, etc.

LW - Gomi is light years ahead of everyone else and right up there in the lb for lb argument. The UFC is getting stronger after bringing back the LW's though. Jens Pulver is back and Sherk dropped down...still way behind Pride.

Pride's weight classes are a little different, so it's hard to make some of the comparisons fairly. But overall, most MMA fans agree that Pride is stronger overall...

You can DL the Pride PPV from last weekend in my thread below...
    You rock. Thanks a ton.

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Thanks for nothing!
    thats about as far as I know. I was just being nice and posting on your thread that no one else had, so much for that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pound for Pound Hughs is probably the best. Plus, Franklin and Liddell can compete with anyone.

I lean towards the UFC, but I'm not an expert on the subject. Good question for Kris.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pound for Pound Hughs is probably the best. Plus, Franklin and Liddell can compete with anyone.

I lean towards the UFC, but I'm not an expert on the subject. Good question for Kris.
    Hughes is up there lb for lb...

Franklin and Liddell can compete...no doubt. Pride has a ton more depth at LHW for sure though. Liddell is better now than he was 3 yrs ago when Dana sent him to Pride and Rampage kicked his ass all over the ring. I still don't think he's good enough to beat Wanderlei Silva though...

Another thing to consider is the rules diffences. Pride, no elbows, but kicks/stomps to a man on the ground are allowed. UFC, vice versa. Also ring vs cage...some UFC fighters would suffer without a cage to pin guys against. Not saying either is better, just different...

Fedor is the baddest dude in the world at any weight though. Checkout this HL video of him...done to Tool...it's wicked...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0MDQUKRO

Last edited by LEONARD; 07-05-2006 at 08:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw the UFC in Los Angeles last month and actually loved it. I already posted a thread about it. I also loved brushing up against Paris Hilton, not in a pervy way, mind you. I did love her perfume, though. :p

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't get that link to work Leonard but I've seen him fight before against Crocup. Crocup messed up his ribs a little bit with his left kick but Fedor beat him pretty soundly, don't know if that was the only time they fought. Thanks.
    Last edited by Quadzilla99; 07-08-2006 at 06:26 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I couldn't get that link to work Leonard but I've seen him fight before against Crocup. Crocup messed up his ribs a little bit with his left kick but Fedor beat him pretty soundly, don't know if that was the only time they fought. Thanks.
    Yea, they've only fought once.

The link is still good. Click on it, then enter the code at the top right. If it doesn't seem like it's working hit refresh and see if the code box appears...

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like UFC better.

There is a huge difference in what these guys do in a fight.

Pride is more of a slugfest & from the dozen or so matches I've seen the action can tend to slow too much. Sure the ref says to fight but in UFC the ref will break-up the fighters & stand them up if it gets boring/slow.

UFC has much more skill on the ground. Not enough action on the ground in Pride. Rules are probably the reason, I dont know?
    Like I said, in UFC the ref will stand them up if neither fighter trys to advance their position.

I like both but I will take a UFC fight over Pride when the fighters in UFC/Pride are of belt quality.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pride is more of a slugfest & from the dozen or so matches I've seen the action can tend to slow too much. Sure the ref says to fight but in UFC the ref will break-up the fighters & stand them up if it gets boring/slow.

UFC has much more skill on the ground. Not enough action on the ground in Pride. Rules are probably the reason, I dont know?
    Like I said, in UFC the ref will stand them up if neither fighter trys to advance their position
    I don't see how anybody can say that Pride is more of a "slugfest" (well, maybe somebody that's only seen a dozen or so fights!). Pride definitely has more fighters with ground skills, and better ground skills.

Are you saying they don't stand the fighters up in Pride? If anything, they stand them up FASTER in Pride than they do in the UFC, AND they issue yellow cards for stalling which takes 10% of the fighter's purse!! They don't do that in the UFC...

As far as rules go, I prefer Pride's no elbows rule since they can cause cuts that stop fights early (not good for the fans!), but they DO allow kicks to a downed opponent, stomps, etc which aren't allowed in the UFC (too violent for US fans).

Soccer kicks to the head > elbows IMO

I like both but I will take a UFC fight over Pride when the fighters in UFC/Pride are of belt quality.
    You need to watch more Pride, holmes...a dozen fights obviously wasn't enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a dozen fights.
    A dozen or so, events or whatever. The 90min thingy that they put on for PPV or that they later broadcast.

So, take a dozen (or so) & multiply it by 90min (or so) & that is about how much I've seen. Don't break out the calculator, that is OVER a 1000min right there.

I like the elbows because it is used in fighting so why not allow it?
    A knee/fist/elbow can all cause cuts.

UFC still better IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can download a ton of highlights from Pride/UFC/whatever from Limewire & UFC's always looks better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is forbidden.
    Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

So, where EXACTLY does the forearm stop & the elbow begin?
    IDK, but the point is forbidden in downward strikes & THAT can indeed cause major cuts around the head/face.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not a dozen fights. A dozen or so, events or whatever. The 90min thingy that they put on for PPV or that they later broadcast.

So, take a dozen (or so) & multiply it by 90min (or so) & that is about how much I've seen. Don't break out the calculator, that is OVER a 1000min right there.

I like the elbows because it is used in fighting so why not allow it?
    A knee/fist/elbow can all cause cuts.

UFC still better IMO.
    a dozen or so "matches" is what you said...a match = a fight doesn't it?

What is 90 min's? PPV's are 3 hrs. The Pride summary shows on FSN are 1 hr. Not sure what you're watching that's 90 min's...maybe it's some PPV's that I'm missing?? I think you've seen a few downloads and that's it based on what you've said and the statements you're making.

Of course anything can cause a cut, but it doesn't take watching too many fights to see that elbows cause more of the types of cuts that end fights immediately due to the severity of the cut.

You can stomp and kick on the ground in a real fight too...why doesn't the UFC allow that?? (just using your own argument against you)

You can download a ton of highlights from Pride/UFC/whatever from Limewire & UFC's always looks better.
    WTF? This makes ZERO sense dude...

How can you make a generic statement like that???

And thanks for the hot tip on where to DL highlights...I DL all of the PPV events within an hr of each fight, and it's not on POS Limewire

You can say the UFC is better all you want...that's your opinion. But your reasons make absolutely ZERO sense...

UFC fans BOO when the fights go to the ground and the punishment for stalling is being stood back up.

Pride has the best ground fighters in the sport, and if there is stalling the fighters are docked 10% of their pay.

This is forbidden.
    Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

So, where EXACTLY does the forearm stop & the elbow begin?
    IDK, but the point is forbidden in downward strikes & THAT can indeed cause major cuts around the head/face.
    That was random... Did you go to the UFC site to lookup the rules on elbows? Why would such a knowledgable MMA fan need to do that?

It's pretty clear. You can't strike STRAIGHT down (ie, 12:00 to 6:00) using the point of the elbow.
    Last edited by LEONARD; 07-08-2006 at 04:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a dozen or so "matches" is what you said...a match = a fight doesn't it?
    I clarified to an event. Hmmm, couldn't tackle that one could you??

Of course anything can cause a cut, (Really? Wow, sounded like a Pride master like you thought only the elbows could. ) but it doesn't take watching too many fights to see that elbows cause more of the types of cuts that end fights immediately due to the severity of the cut.

You can stomp and kick on the ground in a real fight too...why doesn't the UFC allow that?? (just using your own argument against you)
    Good point BUT, I would like to see it myself as well.

WTF? This makes ZERO sense dude
    Is it as much a ZERO as this "The consensus is that Pride is better overal..."
    Says who? Oh, I guess you forgot to post the completely scientific survey that you took.

How can you make a generic statement like that???
    How can YOU make a generic stmnt like that??? Just using your own argument against you.

And thanks for the hot tip on where to DL highlights...I DL all of the PPV events within an hr of each fight, and it's not on POS Limewire

You can say the UFC is better all you want...that's your opinion. But your reasons make absolutely ZERO sense...
    Just like yours I assume. Sorry to embarass you on the board 'mano.

UFC fans BOO when the fights go to the ground and the punishment for stalling is being stood back up.
    Yeah, all the fans do I guess. Since you've seen every UFC fight you know this right?

Pride has the best ground fighters in the sport....
    Just your opinion once again.

Why would such a knowledgable MMA fan need to do that?
    Well, I don't claim to know all the rules of every sport. I am in no way the expert on MMA like yourself since you've polled every person in the world on which is better and you were able to find out what no one ever had before.
    Damn, I had to shart on that one!
    The concensus according to whom?!?!?!?

It's pretty clear. You can't strike STRAIGHT down (ie, 12:00 to 6:00) using the point of the elbow.
    Wow, glad u came to your senses on that one with you being so concerned over cuts and all. Didn't know if I'd have to throw a link on the board to help u process that info.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    How have you embarrassed me??

You haven't defended any of your statements with anything. Half of your responses don't even make sense...especially based on what you're responding to...

If you want a "consensus"...try checking some MMA world rankings or take a poll on some MMA forums...

WW is the only weight class that most would agree the UFC is better as far as top 10 fighters goes. There are about 5 Pride HW's better than Sylvia and Arlovski. There are at least 3 or 4 LHW's that would give Chuck major problems, whereas right now there aren't too many worthy contenders for him in the UFC (although I think Babalu will beat him). MW is fairly even. LW is getting better in the UFC, but Pride is still way ahead...

I won't bother posting the link to an MMA forum where everyone is laughing at the ridiculousness of your statements...THAT would be embarrassing...

Enjoy the fights...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that the concensus?

Tonight's event will be awesome!
    You enjoy the evening as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wanderlei Silva now moves up to top comp & joins the UFC.

Silva v Chuck in Nov.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Is that the concensus?

Tonight's event will be awesome!
    You enjoy the evening as well.
    LMAO!! Awesome??

Sylvia / AA are both JOKES with no ground skills...

Edwards / Stevenson was a great fight until an elbow ended it prematurely...

Seems like somebody here mentioned these things before this event??

The Pride flood gates are open and a bunch of UFC fans are in for a rude awakening when their hero's start getting smashed...

Wanderlei Silva now moves up to top comp & joins the UFC.

Silva v Chuck in Nov.
    Top comp?? LMAO!!!!

Chuck will get SMASHED...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edwards / Stevenson was a great fight until an elbow ended it prematurely...
    Oh yeah, I forgot that all fights are supposed to go the distance & be left up to the refs.
    Such knowledge! I'm impressed!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chuck will get SMASHED...
    Is that the concensus? Again?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, I forgot that all fights are supposed to go the distance & be left up to the refs.
    Such knowledge! I'm impressed!
    Where did I say that exactly??? I've never seen a person on ANY message board that responds with more ridiculous BS than yourself...congrats!!

The reason Pride doesn't allow elbows is because of early stoppages due to cuts when the fighter really isn't hurt. Stevenson / Edwards is the PERFECT example. Edwards was fine and wanted to fight, but the cut wouldn't let him...

Is that the concensus? Again?
    Actually, it's my opinion...

but it's consensus around the MMA world by people that KNOW something about the sport. I'm not talking about people that watch the "90 min thingy" shows like yourself...

Can you justify your "top comp" statement? Or how about anything you say? I'm still confused how the UFC has better ground fighting than Pride...

Thread Information