Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Placido Palanco just went down on an inning-ending play....hard.

This....is not good at all....

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    who da

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Seperated shoulder...more to come.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Shut the up, fat man.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Seperated shoulder...more to come.
    Great catch, too bad about the shoulder. Rodriguez said in a post-game interview that he'd be out for the season (Ivan's not a Dr.)

Tigers called up Ramon Santiago and they have Infante who Rod Allen was just pimpin' yesterday. We'll be okay and hopefully he'll be back this season.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yeah, hoping to hear something conclusive about his timetable for return.

Fantastic catch though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pal is a nice, very servicable 2B that hits around 300 but has never scored more than 80 or batted in more than 60. He's a nice everyday player and a solid fielder, and I've never understood why he gets paid so much. That comes from a Card who wanted to get him back this off season, he's just not worth the cash IMO.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Pal is a nice, very servicable 2B that hits around 300 but has never scored more than 80 or batted in more than 60. He's a nice everyday player and a solid fielder, and I've never understood why he gets paid so much. That comes from a Card who wanted to get him back this off season, he's just not worth the cash IMO.
    Uhhhhhhh......he makes $4.6 million, a career .991 fielding%, a career .300 hitter, last year would have won the batting le if he wasnt traded between leagues, solidifies the top of the order on any club, and signed a 4 (or 5) year deal at 4.6 per?

If the fans didnt vote, this guy would be an All Star. Just becauyse he doesnt hit for power, yet ranks 2nd in the AL in RISP%. Oh yeah, this guy makes waaaaay too much money at a mere 4.6.

Oh yeah, I see exactly how he isnt worth that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hits the ball a bunch. He doesn't score a bunch or knock in a bunch of runs. Eckstein (yes a SS not 2B) scores far more runs on a NL team, has a comperable career ave (290) makes much less money (2,333,333 to 4,600,000) and IS an All Star, yet he is not someone the Cards couldn't do without if they had to. Again, I'm not knocking Pal, I wish we had him, I just don't think he's worth all that.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It was a ty injury for sure, but a uva catch. I think the Tigers will miss him a little, but they should be able to fight the good fight with him on the shelf. It was quite wierd last night seeing Pudge out there playing second for two innings. It was almost surreal.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    He hits the ball a bunch. He doesn't score a bunch or knock in a bunch of runs. Eckstein (yes a SS not 2B) scores far more runs on a NL team, has a comperable career ave (290) makes much less money (2,333,333 to 4,600,000) and IS an All Star, yet he is not someone the Cards couldn't do without if they had to. Again, I'm not knocking Pal, I wish we had him, I just don't think he's worth all that.
    Well, your buddy makes $4.5 million next year, his 8th in the Bigs (same as PP this year), the last year of his free agent contract he signed in 04 (3 year deal).

Your cheap SS, I have a feeling is going to get significantly more expensive in 08. So PP's contract is going to look real good, real fast.

Im not trying to come off rude, I am reading my post, and it sounds that way. I just meant that PP is a uva deal, and completely disagree that he is paid too much in comparison to other players of his ilk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compare him to someone else. He's not an All Star, he's a nice everyday hitter/fielder, never be a game breaker.

Compare him to someone like that.
    Grudzielanek, career .287, 36 y/o, $1,000,000 (Former All Star)
    Belliard, .279, 31, $2,500,000 (Former All Star)
    Biggio, .284, 40, $3,000,000 (7-time All Star)
    Giles, .287, 28, $2,350,000 (2-time All Star)
    Kennedy, .279, 30, $3,000,000 (Former All Star)
    Roberts, .281, 28, $390,000 (Former All Star)
    Utley, .292, 27, $345,000 (Former All Star)
    Loretta, .301, 35, $2,750,000 (2-time All Star)

Pal makes $4,600,000 and has never been an All Star. That is next to only:
    Kent $7,350,000 (5-time All Star; MVP)
    Vidro $7,000,000 (3-time All Star)
    Castillo $5,166,667 (3-time All Star)

He is overpaid. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to be confused with the original Oh thread.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Compare him to someone else. He's not an All Star, he's a nice everyday hitter/fielder, never be a game breaker.

Compare him to someone like that.
    Grudzielanek, career .287, 36 y/o, $1,000,000 (Former All Star)
    Belliard, .279, 31, $2,500,000 (Former All Star)
    Biggio, .284, 40, $3,000,000 (7-time All Star)
    Giles, .287, 28, $2,350,000 (2-time All Star)
    Kennedy, .279, 30, $3,000,000 (Former All Star)
    Roberts, .281, 28, $390,000 (Former All Star)
    Utley, .292, 27, $345,000 (Former All Star)
    Loretta, .301, 35, $2,750,000 (2-time All Star)

Pal makes $4,600,000 and has never been an All Star. That is next to only:
    Kent $7,350,000 (5-time All Star; MVP)
    Vidro $7,000,000 (3-time All Star)
    Castillo $5,166,667 (3-time All Star)

He is overpaid. Period.
    you might want to look at his numbers with runners in scoring position before you say that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you might want to look at his numbers with runners in scoring position before you say that.
    Man, you guys will find a stat that will let you spin out of any arguement. Facts are facts. If a guy is batting 100% with runners in scoring position and only averages 40 RBI a year for his career, it means that the suck 7,8,9 hitters are only in scoring position when he comes up 40 times a year. 40 RBIs is still 40 RBIs whether you hitting .999 or .111 with runners in scoring position.

Look at MLB.com's page on Pal. On every player's page, it gives you a fantasy comparison, showing the top 4 and then them.
    Fantasy Comparison:
    Alfonso Soriano 1926
    Chase Utley 1512
    Dan Uggla 1142
    Brian Roberts 1136
    Placido Polanco 627
    Look at yahoo rankings. He is the 16th rated 2B man. My league of 10 has 12 players that can play 2B taken. Pal isn't one of them.

Overpaid. Stats don't lie. Prove me wrong.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    sorry i can't argue with amazing logic like basing a player's salary on fantasy stats

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    He isnt asked to produce RBIs. He bats 2nd!!

Luis Castillo - $5.4 - 44 RBI
    Ray Durham - $7 - 70 RBI

He just isnt overpaid. Looking over 2nd basemen in the league, yeah, I can see where you get that. There are only a couple that really standout, and his numbers do not.

But you fail to realize what he brings and what he brought to Detroit. Not only did he obviously lock up our infield, he added a bat to our lineup that hits consistently.

With Inge, Guillen and PP the infield is set defensively (Inge needs to grow as a hitter, PP and Guillen are fine) and they are all relatively young and cheap.

Detroit isnt a small market club. When this town gets behind a team, said team can spend as much as the league allows and the fans just keep coming.

Its obvious the Tigers had to overpay to keep PP. We sucked last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting... you wont argue based on fantasy, but you will argue based on production, All Star appearances, and like players even when you have nothing to support your claims.

He's some more stats.
    He is 8th among 2B in average.
    18th in runs scored.
    17th in RBIs.
    20th in OBP.
    24th in slugging.
    24th OPS.

For the best team in baseball right now.
    On his own team he is 6th in runs, 9th in RBIs and yet 5th in average and 2nd in hits. Seems to me he is less clutch than the rest of the team.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Interesting... you wont argue based on fantasy, but you will argue based on production, All Star appearances, and like players even when you have nothing to support your claims.

He's some more stats.
    18th in runs scored.
    17th in RBIs.
    20th in OBP.
    24th in slugging.
    24th OPS.

On his own team he is 6th in runs, 9th in RBIs and yet 5th in average and 2nd in hits. Seems to me he is less clutch than the rest of the team.

why does this even matter to you?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

He's some more stats.
    18th in runs scored.
    17th in RBIs.
    20th in OBP.
    24th in slugging.
    24th OPS.

He has struck out only 25 times in over 400 at bats, 38 fewer than the next lowest starter (Ivan with 63).

He's 2nd on the team in hits, 3 hits behind Ordonez who has played in 10 more games (Polanco is only the 9th highest paid player on the roster).

He has 7 fewer RBI's and has scored 3 more runs that Ivan who is making $10,000,000 this year.

He's paid well but not overpaid IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys have some serious hero worship issues. I am making one point, backed up by numbers. He is paid as the #4 2B above many All Stars and he does not have #4 2B numbers and has never been an All Star.

Comparing his salary to Pudge shows your lack of knowledge. Pudge has been to the Series and come up big. Pudge is a perinneal All Star. Pudge is a rare combo of good hitter and great defenseman you don't get in a catcher these days. You can't take your run-of-the-mill catcher and compare him to Pudge's numbers, therefore his salary is somewhat justified. As I have already shown, there are a myriad of 2Bmen you could swap Pal out with and have same numbers, more accaades, and less money.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Would Ortiz be as good as he has been without Manny Ramirez batting behind him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **shakes head**

I don't know, would crocs eat humans if there weren't anyone around them?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I guess the answer to both questions is NO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And neither has anything to do with Pal being overpaid. Thanks for playing, tho.

Thread Information