Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    I thought he went to Judson, when the Rockets were so good?

(I never followed HS ball so I could easily be wrong.)

I thought he went to Judson, when the Rockets were so good?
    I think you're thinking of Jerod Douglas. I'm absolutely certain that Priest played at Marshall, since we were teammates there. And he did play at Marshall when the Rams were so good -- 1989-91, culminating in a State Finals appearance against Permian at Texas Stadium; the first state football final for any Northside school.

Post Count
    No, he went to Marshall, where he went by his middle name, Anthony.

FWD...did you know someone on that team by the name of Dusty Baker?

FWD...did you know someone on that team by the name of Dusty Baker?
    I know a guy named Dusty Baker from Marshall around that time, but I don't recall him playing football beyond his freshman or maybe sop re year.

Post Count
    did you graduate with Priest in '91?

Actually, Priest graduated in 1992.

I graduated a couple of years before that in 1990. In the fall of 1989, when Priest played his first varsity season as a sop re, I was a senior.

Post Count
    my bad.

cool....I know Dusty and he said he played varsity football at Marshall and he graduated in 1991. He also said he played QB....I have always followed HS football, especially NISD being a graduate, and I never heard his name mentioned. I figured he was pulling my chain.

cool....I know Dusty and he said he played varsity football at Marshall and he graduated in 1991. He also said he played QB
    Treading cautiously, because I don't want to rat anyone out, but here's what I know about that guy: He played QB as a freshman, but I'm pretty certain that he never played a down of varsity football, much less any downs at quarterback in that era. Earliest he could have played varsity would have been the fall of 1988, but I was the Center on that team and I can assure you that Dusty didn't play QB that year. Tim Yarbrough and Richard Mundine platooned at QB in 1989, but Dusty wasn't either of those guys. In 1990, the last year he could have played, Marshall platooned with guys named Marc Saldana and David Sammon, both of whom were juniors and split time the next season, too, when Marshall went to the state final. Unless Dusty played some mop up time behind those guys in 1990 (and I'm almost absolutely certain that he didn't -- Marshall coaches didn't keep 3 quarterbacks back then; they had 2 and an emergency QB who primarily played another position) he couldn't have played QB at Marshall.

Post Count
    That's what I thought too. No problem bro. It's all good.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    cool....I know Dusty and he said he played varsity football at Marshall and he graduated in 1991. He also said he played QB....I have always followed HS football, especially NISD being a graduate, and I never heard his name mentioned. I figured he was pulling my chain.
    Somehow I'm not surprised.

Post Count

If the man rushes for 1200 yards at the age of 35 for the Arizona Cardinals...it's pretty much going to put to rest that his was all his O line. As Jimmy Johnson said...Emmitt's best talent was seeing the holes before they were there...he made his O line better and his best skill was utilizing his O line.

Also Emmitt has been hit more than any other player in history...he's one of the toughest players ever, if not the toughest.
    truer words were never spoken

Post Count
    Zona's line ain't bad.

Leonard Davis
    LJ Shelton
    Wells
    Bridges

Zona has always had a strong emphasis on the OLine.

I graduated from Holmes in '91 and vivdly remember watching the Huskies get killed versus Marshall that year (or was it '90?). As I recall, Marshall played a power offense featuring a full-house backfied with Holmes and a few other good backs. I think they threw like 8 passes the entire game choosing instead to cram it down the D's throat. If memory serves, Marshall's defense was pretty bad-ass that year too. Were you the Center on that team FWD? Wow, that was a great team.

Using the express-news archives, I found out that Marshall beat Holmes in 1989 (42-26), 1990 (28-17), and 1991 (14-7).

I played tackle in 1989. Priest and our other tailback both went for 200+ in that game (and oddly, while Priest did nothing in the first half, the other went crazy; then when the guy who went crazy was out, Priest went nuts).

We were certainly blessed with 2 really nice tailbacks -- Priest, for obvious reasons, and V.J. Villarreal, who was bigger, faster, and more elusive than Priest. Unfortunately, V.J. blew out a knee as a junior (against Holmes), was rushed back without proper treatment, and was never the same. He had been running low 4.5's and high 4.4's as a sop re in high school, but never got close to those times again. He would have been great.

We pretty much ran a 3-back, 2 tight end offense and ran the ball between the tackles all night long. My senior year, in the 12 games we played, I think we completed something like 12 passes and ac ulated less than 200 yards passing for the season (the only reason we even exceeded 100 was that we had a 60 yard play in one game). We were decidedly a running team that controlled the clock and played some pretty tough defense. If we ever fell behind by much, we were sunk.

There were some really bad-ass defenses back then, too. They took most of the athletes and threw them on the defensive side. Guys like N.D. Kalu, for example. Between '89 and '92, that defense sent players to UT, Nebraska, Rice, SMU, and Tech. There were (I think) 3 or 4 other guys who went to Southwest and a few other undersized guys who ended up playing at smaller colleges.

It was the heyday for Marshall, but we never could really escape Judson's shadow, and things have pretty steadily gone downhill since then.
    Last edited by FromWayDowntown; 10-27-2004 at 06:30 PM.

if Priest Holmes was running behind the offensive line Emmitt had in Dallas's le years, he would be putting up video game numbers.
    I totally disagree. If that were true, any backup would've put up Smith numbers behind that line as it occurs with the current Broncos. But when Smith went down, so did the great run blocking offensive line.

Holmes is yet another example of talent not developing at Texas.
    Holmes was always good, but he never got the chance to play. For some stupid reason Mackovic wanted to play Shon Mitc (I think that's who it was) over Holmes. What a stupid decision in my opinion.

I'll never forget when he graduated, I was hoping the cowboys would pick him up to back up Emmitt. I thought he would've been a great backup and very productive. But never and I mean never did I think he would be as good as he is today.

Post Count
    I totally disagree. If that were true, any backup would've put up Smith numbers behind that line as it occurs with the current Broncos. But when Smith went down, so did the great run blocking offensive line.
    Man I know that is the truth!

Sincerly,
    Derrick Lassic.

Thread Information