Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anyway you slice it, it was a ed up first pick. You don't build teams around Defensive ing Ends.
    Well, to be fair, that's basically what the Bills did, starting in about 1985 when they drafted Bruce Smith #1 overall. At that point, they didn't have most of the gang that would go to 4 straight Super Bowls -- the only guy defensive guy who was there already was Darryl Talley -- so Smith was the defensive guy they built around.

I suspect that if someone told the Texans during last year's draft that if they built a defense around Mario Williams, they'd be going to Super Bowls within 5 years and would make 4 appearances before Williams retired, they'd take it. I'm not saying that Williams is Bruce Smith and I'm not saying that the Texans are going to a Super Bowl anytime soon, but it's not an unprecedented line of thinking to build a defense first and then concern themselves with offense. The Bills 1985 draft isn't a perfect analogy, largely because the game-breaking offensive player that year, Jerry Rice, didn't go until #14. The first nine players selected in that draft were either DL or OL.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    The problem is, what did Mario Williams do in college? He had one good game all year long that made everyone think he was a player. And the Texans bought into the fool's gold.

It's not unprecedented to think defense, but you need a franchise runningback to be successful in this league, and all the Texans had when they drafted was a gimpy ass Domanick Davis.

Dumb pick.

That's like the guy in one of my fantasy leagues that picked the Pittsburgh defense in the third round, because defense wins Thanks for your donation to the league pot, have a nice season.

The problem is, what did Mario Williams do in college? He had one good game all year long that made everyone think he was a player. And the Texans bought into the fool's gold.

It's not unprecedented to think defense, but you need a franchise runningback to be successful in this league, and all the Texans had when they drafted was a gimpy ass Domanick Davis.

Dumb pick.

That's like the guy in one of my fantasy leagues that picked the Pittsburgh defense in the third round, because defense wins Thanks for your donation to the league pot, have a nice season.
    Oh, in this case, I certainly agree. The Bills precedent is strong -- the Bills teams of the mid-80's looked a whole lot like the Texans look these days, but they jumped at the chance to take a once-in-a-generation sort of defender.
    It's preposterous to me to say that Mario Williams could even hold Bruce Smith's jock.

AHF, I want to play in your fantasy league next year if that guy stays in.

A good running back can shut down the other team's offense by controling the clock. The Colts WRs can't score if they are standing on the sideline.
    That running back needs an O Line to block. The Texans dont have an O Line. I like Bush's game as a specialty back who can be lined up in the slot, but he wouldn't be helping the Texans right now. If he was the featured back for the Texans he'd be getting killed behind that weak O Line. The Texans passing on him was the best thing that ever happened to Reggie Bush.

That running back needs an O Line to block. The Texans dont have an O Line. I like Bush's game as a specialty back who can be lined up in the slot, but he wouldn't be helping the Texans right now. If he was the featured back for the Texans he'd be getting killed behind that weak O Line. The Texans passing on him was the best thing that ever happened to Reggie Bush.
    1. i agree that it was the best thing that could have happened to Bush; said as much earlier

2. but, he would be helping the texans right now...there is no doubt about that

Post Count
    Hey dumb , the Texans passed on him because they said Williams would help them stop Peyton and the Colts.

How well did that work out?

They lost by 3 TDs, which Reggie could have done more towards taking care of than Williams can ever hope to do with a couple of marginal tackles.
    bush did nothing against green bay
    bush looked good in game one
    against the great d packers he looked like an ass

Post Count
    He isn't Reggie White. And it remains to be seen if he's Courtney Brown.

The Texans deserve to be cursed passing on Bush.

because bush sure killed those packers sunday right

1. i agree that it was the best thing that could have happened to Bush; said as much earlier

2. but, he would be helping the texans right now...there is no doubt about that
    I disagree that he would be helping the Texans as a featured running back. He would help on special teams returning kicks, but as a featured back on that team he would be in that "15 rush for 34 yards" category. That said they should have drafted him because if they ever do get an O Line together he and Carr would probably be very productive.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    bush did nothing against green bay
    bush looked good in game one
    against the great d packers he looked like an ass
    Green Bay geared their whole defense around Reggie Bush, which allowed Donte and Drew to hurt them and win the game for NO.

Yeah, Reggie didn't help at all

Between LeBron and Reggie, I'm seeing a trend with you ducks.

Post Count
    bush and lebron both took $ and gifts when in school and lebron got away with it
    bush will to
    watch

because bush sure killed those packers sunday right
    1. 8 catches 68 yards. what the do you want from the guy; thats pretty good #'s. and i am pretty sure even the best backs in the NFL don't have over 100 yards every game. (see Alexander week 1)

2. shut up

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    When are they moving Mario Williams to WR?*

*Couldn't resist...

When are they moving Mario Williams to WR?*

*Couldn't resist...
    LOVE IT! btw, it's more like...when are they moving Mario to FB?

Post Count
    Actually, it's: when are they moving Mario Williams to LT?

Actually, it's: when are they moving Mario Williams to LT?
    or, when are they moving williams to the bench?

Post Count
    Que gatchos!!

Domanick Davis was getting 1300 combined yards his first 3 years behind a horrible O line, so if were healthy, I really dont think everyone would be ing as much about Reggie not being taken.Mario is having to move up and down the line, playing positions that are new, and playing next to guys who dont get any sacks themselves. I mean were you guys really expecting him to be Julius Peppers in his first 2 games? And did anyone actually watch the Colts Texans game? Mario might have only had 2 tackles, but I aslo saw him make Peyton Manning throw 2 or 3 bad/hurried passes. If only the Texans had anyone else who was a threat things might be easier on him. Anthony Weaver is ok, but he isnt going to draw any double teams. Reggie just has more oppurtunities to be on the field and be seen than Williams, he will still end up with 6 or more sacks

Domanick Davis was getting 1300 combined yards his first 3 years behind a horrible O line, so if were healthy, I really dont think everyone would be ing as much about Reggie not being taken.Mario is having to move up and down the line, playing positions that are new, and playing next to guys who dont get any sacks themselves. I mean were you guys really expecting him to be Julius Peppers in his first 2 games? And did anyone actually watch the Colts Texans game? Mario might have only had 2 tackles, but I aslo saw him make Peyton Manning throw 2 or 3 bad/hurried passes. If only the Texans had anyone else who was a threat things might be easier on him. Anthony Weaver is ok, but he isnt going to draw any double teams. Reggie just has more oppurtunities to be on the field and be seen than Williams, he will still end up with 6 or more sacks
    I am willing to bet a large number of those were receiving yards he earned without having to run behind that o line.

Post Count
    Houston sucks and will continue to suck for a long time.

Post Count
    Umm, isn't that why he was drafted #1 overall, to be like a Peppers? I know it's early, but he doesn't look like a dominant DL to me.

Umm, isn't that why he was drafted #1 overall, to be like a Peppers? I know it's early, but he doesn't look like a dominant DL to me.
    when are they moving him to FB?

Yeah but Peppers already had other good d line players around him as well, like Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner. And Domanick Davis would have put up his 3rd straight 1000 yard season last year if he hadnt been held to 11 games. 03- 1031 rushing yards, 8 td, 351 recieving, 04-1188 rushing yards, 13 td, 588 recieving, 1 recieving td, 05- 976 rushing, only 2 td, 337 recieving 4 td

Thread Information