(not written by me)

Funniest moment from the Eagles – Giants game. After the Eagles kickoff, Philadelphia kicker David Akers was blocked by Giants running back Brandon Jacobs who pushed him pretty hard toward the sideline. Akers went flying towards the Giants sideline and took a good two full steps before inexplicably leaping and launching himself into a group of New York players and staff. He hit Giants director of player development Charles Way. This prompted tackle Luke Pe gout to jump into the fray along with Jacobs and Akers. It’s one thing to start a ruckus by yourself on the other team’s sideline. It’s something else when it’s your kicker. God bless those guys.

In a move that was not widely publicized, the entire Raiders team was deactivated for Sunday’s game.

Have you heard the ads for Focus Factor that run on ESPN Radio? As best I can tell, this product is supposed to make you smarter and more attentive. So I'm pretty excited as this could be something I'd need. The ads claim "many people say it's the best brain supplement they've ever tried." I started wondering just how many "brain supplements" there are on the market. And what about the people who said this stuff wasn't the best they've ever tried. And then I started thinking about Clinton Portis and Kid Bro Sweets and forgot all about it.... http://www.footballguys.com/dailyupd...dbrosweets.htm

New Orleans is suiting up 27 new players this year. Plus a new coaching staff. That’s turnover. But it seems to be working.

When I looked at the schedule back in July, I never dreamed the Red Sox – Yankees series this past weekend would be as quiet as it was.

Tampa Bay’s Chris Simms threw 53 passes Sunday without scoring a TD. If he’d matched Rex Grossman’s pass:TD ratio, Simms would have thrown eight TDs Sunday.

Speaking of Grossman, he posted a QB rating of 148.0 for Sunday’s game. Yeah, I saw that coming….

I’m starting to think Daunte Culpepper misses Randy Moss more than he does a healthy knee.

Is there a surer bet in all of sports than Terrell Owens “two to four week” injury timeframe becoming “be ready for Philadelphia”. This guy is playing October 8 against the Eagles. Don’t even consider the idea he won’t. He’s spent all summer in the weight room lifting in sets of 10 reps followed by 8 reps (10-8 as in October the 8th) And I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t go off in Philadelphia. If you can get an Eagle fan to be honest, they’re thinking the same thing….

If two games are any indication, it’s time we started accepting the fact that the Falcons are not a “normal” team and standard statistical benchmarks just don’t apply. Their leading wide receiver caught passes for 22 yards Sunday. While their kicker missed back to back to back to back field goal attempts. And they won the game going away. That’s what happens when you run the ball 44 times for 306 yards. That’s almost 7 yards per carry for you guys keeping score at home.

Running backs have always taken care of their offensive lineman. Gold watches and steak dinners used to be the ticket. San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson says times have changed though. "These days, taking them out to eat isn't enough for them. They're high maintenance.”

In case you were wondering, the Raiders just gave up another sack.

What do Edgerrin James, Corey Dillon, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Reggie Bush, Willis McGahee, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, Willie Parker, Thomas Jones, Kevan Barlow, DeShaun Foster and Lamont Jordan all have in common? They’ve all been playing full time. And they all trail Chargers backup running back Michael Turner in fantasy points after two weeks. Everyone knows that Turner is the guy to grab for dynasty leagues. For the first two weeks of the season, he’s been the guy to have in your starting lineup….

If you need another sign as to how much trouble Tampa Bay had in stopping the run, Jermaine Phillips led the club with thirteen combined tackles. Phillips is a safety….

Did you catch Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall as a wide receiver? He caught one pass but fumbled the ball. It was recovered by Atlanta for no gain. But doesn’t that beg the question – with Alge Crumpler, Ashley Lelie, Roddy White and Michael Jenkins there, do you really need another WR when Mike Vick is throwing fifteen times for 92 yards?

This is probably the time to deal Julius Jones if you’ve been leaning that way. His value is sky high and coach Bill Parcells is talking about using him less in the future. More worrisome is this series from Sunday night featuring Marion Barber III:

1st and 5 from WAS 5: Barber up the middle to WAS 1 for 4 yards

2nd and 1 from WAS 1: Barber up the middle to WAS 1 for no gain

3rd and 1from WAS 1: Barber right guard to WAS 1 for no gain

4th and 1 from WAS 1: Barber right guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

New addition to the BlackEyedJoe.com All Name Team: Dallas fullback Lousaka Polite. What is it about fullbacks? I could build an entire team from that position. B.J. Askew, John Paul Foschi, Ovie Mug i, Mack Strong, Naufahu Tahi and the list goes on.

Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer saw twelve passes thrown his way Sunday and caught all twelve. Including two touchdowns while he totaled 137 yards. That’s a pretty good day.

There were a lot of reasons the Eagles lost last week. The lack of a game closing running game was as important as any. In the all important fourth quarter, Brian Westbrook failed to do much as he managed just 18 yards on eight carries, including a costly fumble that set up a Giants touchdown drive. Six of the eight carries were for two yards or fewer, and Westbrook failed to collect any first downs on the ground late in the game when they were needed the most.

Compare that to New England’s Corey “The Clock Killin’” Dillon who put the game away for the Patriots with a long drive in the final quarter.

If I’m Chad Pennington, I’m sending a nice fruit basket or something to my shoulder surgeon. He eclipsed 300 yards again this week. One guy that’s benefiting in a big way from Pennington’s arm is WR Laveranues Coles. After failing to post a single 100 yard receiving day last season, he’s 2 for 2 in 2006.

Sick stat of the day: Tom Brady is 56-1 when taking a lead into the fourth quarter.

Another big day for BlackEyedJoe.com All Name Team Captain Jerricho Cotchery who’s becoming a household name. He bounced around for a highlight reel 71 yard TD reception where he broke through a Chad Brown tackle and fell over onto Eugene Wilson while never touching a knee. He got back to his feet and rumbled in 47 yards for the score. Nice. Don’t forget who was pimping you Jerricho back when you were unknown….

College Football note of the day. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and Air Force was in town to play a couple of weeks ago. My twelve year old son and I were talking about the game when out of the blue he asked me, “Dad, do they fly themselves down for the game?”. I don’t know the answer there. God bless kids.

College Football note of the day II. To Oklahoma fans: Stop whining. You got screwed. But stop whining. To Oregon fans: Act like you’ve won something before. Especially since you didn’t really win this one. To the NCAA: With a gazillion dollars coming in and no salaries going out (except for USC guys apparently) why have a Mickey Mouse Radio Shack instant replay equipment setup with a guy making $400 a game (seriously) working the replay booth? That’s a disgrace to be that greedy. Do this right and spend a little money.

And while I’m on a roll offending college fans, this has to be said for Notre Dame people: At some point, it would really help justify the hype if you could beat a team that didn’t suck. That’s all I ask.

Bounce back kicker of the week: Mike Nugent of the New York Jets. After a tough week 1, Nugent nailed a 42 yarder right down the middle plus a couple of extra points. Sadly, that’s news.

As expected, journeyman Kansas City QB Damon Huard had a rough outing Sunday starting in place of Trent Green. At one point he threw a pass right into the hands of a rushing lineman. The ball bounced up and Huard caught his own pass. Then he fumbled. It looked like he was pretty determined to turn the ball over one way or another….

Coach Herman Edwards was brutally honest describing what it’s like to have Huard fill in for Green: "It's kind of like when you get a flat. And you get that little tire they give you now - they don't give you a real tire anymore. And your driving your car with that. And you're thinking 'If can get another day before I get this other one fixed, right? (laughs) And then that one blows out on you and you go 'Oh boy, I'm in trouble'. You can't go very long. And your car kind of sits sideways a little bit. You don't want to ride around in a car like that." I’m just a website owner, but that doesn’t seem like the smartest thing to be saying about your quarterback.

How bad was Tennessee Sunday? They posted 15 total yards of offense in the first half. They went three and out on their first five possessions and only “gained” a first down when San Diego was penalized.

Speaking of Tennessee, I like coach Jeff Fisher but I’m interested in how he seems to be catching absolutely none of the blame for the teams incredible collapse over the last couple of years. Tennessee used to be a consistently good team that was nearly impossible to beat at home. How did they go from dominant to comical that quickly? And why does everyone seem champing at the bit to grab Fisher up if he’s let go by the ans?

Marty Schottenheimer turned his young QB loose a little bit Sunday. In Week 1, Philip Rivers was 8 for 11. In Sunday’s game, he was 8 for 11 at one point in the first quarter.

Hunter Smith punted one time for the Colts Sunday. Peyton Manning makes the big bucks on that team but for dollars earned to energy expended in Week 2, I think Smith probably comes out on top.

Roy Williams guaranteed a victory over Chicago last week and as we told you, said it was “stupid” how close the Lions came to hanging 40 points on Seattle in Week 1. The Lions lost 34 to 7 last week to the Bears. At this pace, they should total 40 points sometime in November….

Maybe it’s the water in Detroit or maybe it’s the Williams thing but Mike Williams isn’t much better. He said, "So I respect that that's what I've been labeled: the poster boy for the new regime and what's wrong in Detroit. It's chicken-(bleep), but you keep working. Keep working because I'm a ballplayer. That's what I do. I play ball."

Actually Mike, you’ve been inactive for both games this year. That stuff you’ve been doing during the week is what we call “practice”. You haven’t played any yet. That happens on Sunday. And sometimes Monday. And for your team, on Thanksgiving too. So buck up.

Seattle’s Mike Holmgren was frustrated in practice last week. But pretty funny. He scolded his QBs and running backs: “The fact that we cannot run 36 F is killing me. This is what I had my little Pee Wee guys running in Pop Warner when I first started coaching and they could do it better than you guys. And I paid them with Popsicles not millions of dollars.”

Who says Terrell Owens hasn’t learned anything? Last week, reporters peppered Owens with questions about a quarterback controversy between Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo. Owens gave them nothing but laughter and eye rolls. "Quarterback controversy? We're not even going to talk about that unless I move to the defensive side of the ball, become a defensive end or something like that. Any quarterback questions, don't ask me. I am not going there. Quarterback questions are off-limits."

Nice start for Houston’s David Carr. Sack on the first play. Fumble on the second….

Someone tell Tom Coughlin he doesn’t have to do the Rain Man thing and button the top button on his coaching shirt.

Seattle DB Ken Hamlin had a deflected pass bounce right up to his hands and he muffed it. Another Seahawk dropped a sure interception in the play before that. Further proof that if defensive backs could catch, they'd be wide receivers.

Miami cornerback Will Allen had a tough stretch Sunday. Allen was flagged for a pass interference call that effectively was a 50 yard penalty giving the Bills the ball on the Miami 4. Bills QB J.P. Losman found Josh Reed in the end zone on the next play. Beating Will Allen....

Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theismann had a fun exchange Monday night talking about how Jacksonville QB Byron Leftwich grew up a Redskin fan but booed Joe Theismann. Theismann didn’t blink when he said, “He wasn’t alone.”

Minnesota kicker Ryan Longwell joined the legendary George Blanda as the only kicker to throw for the tying touchdown and then kick the winning field goal in a game. That’s pretty good company.

Ice Cube was recently on the Best Damn Sports Show. You can see a picture here http://www.footballguys.com/dailyupdatephotos/bdssp.htm Ice Cube’s a pretty famous and recognizable guy. Does he really need to sport the shirt with his name on the chest? I’m just asking.

Chad Johnson had all winter, spring and summer to think about it and the best he can come up with for a touchdown celebration is the “chicken dance”. That’s terrible.

Speaking of Johnson, did you notice how he didn’t make the “Jacked Up” feature on ESPN? He took a hit that was clearly the hardest of the day, yet Alvis Whitted received the “honor” for a hit that wasn’t nearly as violent. Evidently, the “Jacked Up” feature is only for non super star players.

You knew it wouldn’t take long. Kellen Winslow II found a microphone and someone willing to listen to him Monday. "Some of the coaches might just be holding us back a little. ... We've got nothing to lose... We're losing and I'm not on the field. I just don't get it."

This is a guy who’s made a career out of holding himself back. I’d agree he doesn’t get it. But I have a feeling Romeo Crennel is going to help him understand.

Newest member of the BlackEyedJoe.com All Name Team: Cleveland nose tackle Babatunde (Baba) Oshinowo was just activated from the practice squad. Welcome.

I don’t know if we’ll ever see him on the field again but in the NFL Networks studio, Marshall Faulk is outstanding. I mean really good.

Hard Luck Awards for Week 2

IND RB Addai 1 yard TD rush challenged and reversed

IND QB Manning 15 yard TD pass to WR Wayne nullified by penalty (Vinatieri FG)

IND QB Manning 37 yard pass to WR Wayne to the 4 (Rhodes TD)

IND QB Manning 27 yard pass to WR Wayne to the 3 (Carthon TD)

HOU QB Carr 8 yard rush to the 1 (Carr to Bruener TD)

BUF QB Losman 15 yard TD pass to WR Parrish nullified by penalty (Lindell FG)

NO QB Brees 33 yard pass to TE Campbell to the 3 (McAllister TD)

GB QB Favre 2 yard pass to WR Jennings to the 4 (Favre to Ferguson TD)

STL RB Jackson 11 yard rush to the 2

STL RB Jackson minus 1 yard rush to the 3 (Bulger to Holt TD)

CLE QB Frye 75 yard pass to WR Edwards to the 1 (Droughns TD)

CLE QB Frye 7 yard pass to WR Edwards to the 4 (Frye TD)

SEA RB Alexander 9 yard rush to the 3 (Strong TD)

MIN RB Moore 11 yard rush to the 4 (Longwell FG)

MIN RB Taylor 33 yard rush to the 4

MIN RB Taylor rush for no gain from the 2

MIN RB Richardson 1 yard rush to the 1 (Longwell FG)

CHI RB Jones rush for no gain from the 3 (Grossman to Gilmore TD)

DET QB Kitna 23 yard pass to TE Campbell to the 1

DET RB Jones rush for no gain from the 1 (Kitna TD)

DET LB Bailey 28 yard interception for TD nullified by penalty

SD QB Rivers 2 yard rush to the 4 (Tomlinson TD)

BAL RB Smith 1 yard TD rush nullified by penalty (Stover FG)

BAL QB McNair 9 yard pass to WR Mason to the 1 (McNair TD)

NE RB Maroney 14 yard rush to the 4

NE RB Maroney 3 yard rush to the 1

NE RB Evans rush for no gain from the 1 (Dillon TD)

ATL RB Dunn 9 yard rush to the 1 (Vick TD)

ATL QB Vick 3 yard rush to the 4 (Vick to McCrary TD)

TB LB Brooks 63 yard interception for TD nullified by penalty

ATL DB Mathis 49 yard interception for TD nullified by penalty

DAL QB Bledsoe 34 yard pass to WR Glenn to the 4 (Bledsoe to Crayton TD)

JAX DB Mathis 21 yard interception return to the 2

JAX QB Leftwich kneel down from the 2 for no gain

JAX QB Leftwich kneel down from the 2 for minus 2 yards

JAX QB Leftwich kneel down from the 4 for minus 1 yard