Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    KSAT reporter, wife facing DWI charges
    Web Posted: 10/29/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mary Moreno
    Express-News Staff Writer

KSAT-TV weekend reporter Erik Barajas, 31, and his 26-year-old wife, Courtney Lynn Barajas, have been charged with driving while intoxicated after a Wednesday fender-bender on the city's far North Side.

Each posted a $2,500 bond and was released Thursday morning.

According to a Bexar County sheriff's deputy report, Barajas' sport utility vehicle rear-ended a Suburban driven by John Benavides, 42, near East Borgfeld Drive and U.S. 281 at about 11:30 p.m.

The report said Benavides got out of his car after the collision to talk to Barajas and wanted to know if Barajas was OK.

Benavides said Barajas then tried to blame him for the accident. That's when Benavides said he told Barajas he was calling the police.

Benavides told deputies he then saw Barajas' wife take Erik's place behind the wheel and that she drove the SUV away. Benavides told the deputy that as Courtney Barajas drove off, the SUV's mirror struck him on the shoulder.

She stopped at a nearby gas station.

The arresting deputy reported finding two partly consumed bottles of beer in the couple's vehicle.

The Barajases were given field sobriety tests and each failed, according to the report. Both were taken into custody, but both refused to take breath-analyzing tests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I meant to post this last night.

What is it with those party-loving, hard drinking, child-"loving" KSATers?

SW: Hot As Hell
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I thought you brought your wife along to drive you home, not get drunk too?

Blood Where?
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    dude she is 26 not 46!! I would suspect she is a hot.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I bet when your drunk alot more women are HOT!

Blood Where?
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    most solid point of the year sir!!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

So, I guess when you get close to 40, you're no longer hot?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, I guess when you get close to 40, you're no longer hot?

Yeah! What's up with that?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I take issue with your blatant racisim when it comes to the age of women.

Sincerely,

Sela Ward

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Most of the moms I know that are in their mid to late 30s or in their 40s look pretty damn good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Indiana Pacers
    would you rather have a DUI or what Gerry Grant went to jail for? exactly...
    nice of them to touch up Sela Ward's photo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Age ain't nothing but a number. If she's hot (and over 18), she's hot!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sela Ward un-touched up looks way hotter than Britney ever will.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^^^true....not as hot as S y....but true.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I meant to post this last night.

What is it with those party-loving, hard drinking, child-"loving" KSATers?

Holy crap....you're comparing what Grant and Barajas did with one another?

They don't compare at all.....and why do you say "child loving" KSATers?? It was only one guy. What did Barajas do that he gets called a child l oving KSATer?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Holy crap....you're comparing what Grant and Barajas did with one another?

They don't compare at all.....and why do you say "child loving" KSATers?? It was only one guy. What did Barajas do that he gets called a child l oving KSATer?
    Sarcasm is lost on you, isn't it?

Should I have been more specific in seperating Barajas from anybody that might have thought he liked tossing burgers at his significant others head, too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I take issue with your blatant racisim when it comes to the age of women.

Sincerely,

Sela Ward

I thought that was SPURSWOMAN!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, ok. That suction sound I heard was the many lips being removed from SW and S y's behinds!

Blood Where?
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Most of the moms I know that are in their mid to late 30s or in their 40s look pretty damn good.

Whoa whoa whoa, stand by ladies.
    What I meant was, she's young and probably hot, but the fact that she's young 26, she probably would take more chances.ie moving into the drivers seat and driving away not to get in trouble. As for the hot issue. I'm in my 30's and there are so many women I see at the quarry or the HEB at 281&hwy46 that are older that I wannna treat like farm animals, and snap thier hip bones..........UH, I mean get to know that are my age or older. So let's tap on the brakes on this issue

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He was on the news tonight reporting about that train accident.

Why did Greg Matsen leave? Did they let him go or was it his choice?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    Why did Greg Matsen leave?
    He left?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    actually it was in the paper that KSAT did not renew his contract.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Web Posted: 11/09/2004 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

In this day of distressing and abrupt TV/radio disappearing acts — think Mix 96.1's Woody and KENS' Cindy Casiano, who were gone with no warning, no goodbye — it was refreshing to see an ousted sports anchor get the chance to say an on-air farewell.

Greg Matson, No. 2 guy of KSAT's sports team for more than seven years, actually appeared twice. A couple of Thursdays ago, he waved goodbye to his noon and 6 p.m. weekday TV gig, and on Oct. 31 he shook Greg Simmons' hand on his last appearance on Sunday's late-night half-hour "Instant Replay."

It was a tribute both to KSAT's respect for Matson and his respect for the station that, though it was their decision to let him go, he was trusted enough to get the chance to give his "adios" to viewers.

Of course, because of the rarity of such an occasion, many fans still were left confused. Figuring a guy wouldn't be given a warm exit unless he had a flashy new job somewhere, viewers contacted me to ask, "what's up?"

Matson, a 40-year-old realist when it comes to the volatile business of television, wasn't hesitant to say his contract wasn't renewed. KSAT simply "decided to go in a different direction," he said.

That different direction is Larry Ramirez, a Southern Californian who comes to San Antonio from another Post-Newsweek-owned station — WJXT in Jacksonville, Fla., where he did weekday sports anchoring.

He's also the first daily Hispanic sportscaster in years here, since weekday man Pete Delgado left WOAI — then KMOL — in 2000.

But back to Matson's story ... He said he gave no cause to KSAT for not letting him appear after notice of his ouster. "I guess there are situations where people might worry," he said. "Anything could be said."

That's not the case with Matson. He had a great time at the station, harbored no ill feelings, he said, and will miss the people: Simmons, weekend sportscaster David Sears and co-anchors Leslie Mouton and Steve Spriester.

He appreciated the moments he was allowed to smile and shake hands with his colleagues on the air.

For now, he has no news to report on a new job. "I'm weighing my options," he said. Considering the ratings continued to be strong for both his gigs — newscasts at noon and 6 p.m. — he shouldn't have much of a problem landing a new post.

However, there's always the problem of having to uproot his family; he's married with three kids in elementary school.

Though Matson is enjoying the extra time at home, he displayed his sense of humor when he wondered aloud if I were considering taking up a collection for him in my column.

Judging from the outpouring of responses to his departure, he might actually collect a pretty penny. One thing I've collected is lots of good thoughts from viewers. For instance, Daniel wrote: "He was one of my faves, always honest and very funny."

And just Monday, Jo Moore wrote that "the new guy is good, but I miss Greg."

In short, the reaction was a lot more positive and less stressed than the fans' reaction to the sudden and unsatisfying instant vanishing of other broadcasting personalities, such as Casiano and Woody.

Ramirez rolls on

Did you catch Ramirez on Sunday's "Instant Replay" or on Monday debut shows at noon or 6 p.m.?

He's certainly a handsome and well-spoken chap. (And single, in case anyone wants to know.) He began his sportscasting career on WBKP in Michigan. Originally, his dream was to be a fighter pilot, but he says he's now living his second dream of sports reporting/ anchoring.

He also displayed a nice, comfortable wit, wasn't afraid to slam the Spurs' poor Sunday performance and really let loose on the Dallas Cowboys. Ramirez also made a joke about his name and how it will be pronounced as it was intended — with rolled "R's" and everything — here, while in California it was always a flat, Anglicized "Ramirez."
    Last edited by Shelly; 11-10-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    FIRE DON Harris!!!

Thread Information