ducks
    Nets exercise option on Frank contract

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
    June 18, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Lawrence Frank will be back to coach the New Jersey Nets next season, and possibly longer if an agreement on a long-term contract can be reached.

Earlier this week, the Nets guaranteed that the 33-year-old Frank would be back without an interim tag when they picked up his contract option for next season.

``We plan on negotiating with him to see if we can do a long-term contract,'' Nets president Rod Thorn said Friday.

Andy Miller, Frank's agent, said the two sides have not held negotiations on a new deal.

Frank guided the Nets to a 25-15 record after taking over in late January when Byron Scott was fired. He set a record for major sports in North America by winning his first 13 games as the coach.

``I think he did a remarkable job under the cir stances,'' Thorn said. ``Just a remarkable job.''

The Nets' bid for a third straight Eastern Conference le ended when they were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs by the Detroit Pistons in seven games.

New Jersey had a 3-2 lead in the series before the eventual NBA champions rallied.

Miller had no timetable for a new talks with the Nets. He wasn't worried that Frank might head into next season as a lame duck.

``He is a good coach,'' Miller said. ``The more time he can develop his body of work, the more people will appreciate him.''

The Nets had until the end of the month to exercise the option of Frank's contract.

Miller said Frank was handed a letter Wednesday informing him of the move.

``I think he (Frank) was so focused on preparing for next season, I don't think he even thought about it,'' Miller said.

Frank did not return a telephone call left at his office Friday.

After the Nets were eliminated, he didn't help his bargaining position, saying he would accept whatever the Nets offered.

``I love to coach and I love our guys,'' Frank said. ``This is what you want to do for the rest of your life.''

BballWriter
    Does anyone agree with me that the Nets are now a spent force in the East?

Thread Information