ducks
    Mashburn remains biggest question mark
    Saturday, May 29, 2004
    By John Reid and Jimmy Smith
    Staff writers
    Byron Scott, who was introduced Friday as the Hornets' new head coach, already knows what's needed to make them winners next season.
    He plans to build his team around Baron Davis, whom he considers one of the best young point guards in the league.
    But Scott said they also will need to surround Davis with players who can get up and down the court.
    The question is whether forward Jamal Mashburn will be one of those players. Mashburn has the talent, Scott said, but it is uncertain whether he will be ready before training camp starts in October.
    Mashburn said last week that he's following doctors' advice and resting the knee for the next two months because it continues to swell, caused by bone rubbing against bone because of cartilage damage. Mashburn played in 19 games last season because of knee problems that led to arthroscopic surgery in November.
    Injury problems could force the Hornets to trade Mashburn, who was banished by the team during the playoffs for comments he made about the team mishandling some of his past injuries.
    For now, Scott has Mashburn in his plans. Scott said he will use some variations of his Princeton offense to take advantage of Davis' and Mashburn's one-on-one capabilities.
    "He can score. He can get you points in the post, points in the perimeter and he can handle the ball," Scott said of Mashburn.
    The Hornets haven't made a decision yet on Mashburn.
    "He wasn't right last year injury-wise, and I think Coach Scott can speak for his experience with injured players," assistant general manager Allan Bristow said.
    "I think our main concern with Mashburn is getting healthy. I think it's a very good chance he'll be back if he's healthy."
    Scott employs the Princeton offense, which relies on constant movement to allow players to score in transition.
    That offensive style is what Scott used to help guide the New Jersey Nets to two consecutive berths to the NBA Finals in 2002 and '03.
    "The style of play that I want to put on the basketball court is an up and down," Scott said.
    "I'm looking at Baron and the way he likes to play. If he gets the open floor, I don't think there's anybody in the league who can stay in front of him. But you've got to have others guys on the wing to run with him."

Scott already has one big supporter of his plans and offensive style -- Davis.

"We need to get some excitement in this place and get some people in here who are going to make it exciting," said Davis, who attended Friday's news conference at New Orleans Arena.

"I think this is definitely a step up. I think we have the players to compete in the West. I like the offense because it's going to allow us to play the style of basketball that we played this year but really be more effective."

To get the Hornets at the level he wants, Scott said he thinks they have to get younger and more athletic players.

It's likely the Hornets will make some trades and explore free agency to get those players.
    "We'll all go sit down and make those decisions together," Scott said. "It's not about one person coming in here trying to make all the final decisions.
    "They have some players, very good players, in place. Obviously, I've looked at the roster. So I know the players we have here. But, again, we'll all sit down and try to figure out what the best plan is to make this team even better."
    Scott said he's going to be sending letters to his players soon, so they can get familiar with him and his plans. He's also going to give them a reminder.
    "I'm basically going to tell them don't come to training camp as a way of getting into shape," Scott said. "My training camps are no joke. If you come to camp out of shape, you're going to be a week or two behind. I'm not big on losing."
    John Reid can be reached at jreid@time ayune.com or at (504) 826-3405.

netsfan549
    I hope you come back next year Mashburn.

Thread Information