Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was defending the stereotype (even if it was wrong, and I will admit it). There's other dogs that attack as well. Manny had never seen any numbers.
    He didn't ask if other dogs attack. He asked if they really were involved in so many incidents. You answered his question by presenting evidence that over 50% of all dog attacks in N. America are from Pit Bulls alone. Congrats on trying to defend them. You made them seem worse than even I thought.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    i never said it dont happen.... also i want to point something out of your own article....
    The keyword being fatal. According to the numbers Ashbeeigh posted attacks by Pitbulls are far more common than any other dog. I personaly don't think a person should be able to own them in the city. As PM5K said, I think our city council should ban them from being kept within the city limits. Pit Bulls are not normal dogs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Manny and Mel:

I myself wouldn't own a pit bull, they do scare the out of me. But no animal, in my opinion, as I stated before, should be denied the right to live just because of their "history." I feel for people that have lost loved ones to the animals. I'm not saying they aren't capable. I'm well aware of their ability. I'm fighting the urge to bring pu like "The Dog Whisperer" just because y'all will think it's a load of crap, so I'm just going to stop now and watch the Weather Channel.
    "The Dog Whisperer" IS a load of crap. I don't think Pits should be exterminated, but people need to be aware that they are unpredictable. Thinking that it's all just in the way you raise them is too simplistic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Nature and Nurture kids. Nature and Nurture. And oh my god! Holy ! Ashbeeigh was wrong!

I was raised with a Rotweiler. She was the best family dog ever, all because of the way we raised her.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    "The Dog Whisperer" IS a load of crap. I don't think Pits should be exterminated, but people need to be aware that they are unpredictable. Thinking that it's all just in the way you raise them is too simplistic.
    Yes. As can, all dogs.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    College
    Miami Hurricanes
    The keyword being fatal. According to the numbers Ashbeeigh posted attacks by Pitbulls are far more common than any other dog. I personaly don't think a person should be able to own them in the city. As PM5K said, I think our city council should ban them from being kept within the city limits. Pit Bulls are not normal dogs.

quick question... do you own a pitbull?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nature and Nurture kids. Nature and Nurture. And oh my god! Holy ! Ashbeeigh was wrong!

I was raised with a Rotweiler. She was the best family dog ever, all because of the way we raised her.
    Are you ever right? Maybe if you write your pit bull a note, they won't attack you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

Its funny that you're telling me not to generalize and not to hold stereotypes but to rather form an opinion based on the research and numbers. If thats the case, then your experience with a specific breed is irrelevant and you shouldn't bring it up in this situation, correct?

Secondly, the breed you bring up is not the breed in question, so that makes it even more irrelevant.

I'm not trying to pile on here because my intent was to really get information on Pit Bulls which you provided, but maybe you should think over what you're posting before you post it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    quick question... do you own a pitbull?
    No, but thats an irrelvent issue. Experiences with one dog do not establish or deny the existance of a trend or predisposition within a breed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers

Rotties are high-strung, but in my opinion they're not as bad as Pits. Rotweilers were bred to be attack dogs, which obviously means they're capable of doing great harm. However, they were often used for military purposes and were used to discipline. Pits were bread to be fighting dogs. All they were made for was to fight to the death. They have some "crazy mother er" genes in them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I lived with a pit bull in Jersey and though he was fine inside, he couldnt be let outside because he would attack any and all dogs that came near the yard, jumping over fences and even trying to break the fence down. I suffered a few injuries due to this and the whole incident was part of what expedited my return home, because the owner I was living with refused to get rid of him, even though I was the one taking care of him, since I work from home.

Of course, this is just anecdotal, but if you add it to the stats, it kind of all adds up, now doesn't it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Secondly, the breed you bring up is not the breed in question, so that makes it even more irrelevant.
    It was brought into question:

Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be
    handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special
    requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other
    animals, if they are to be kept at all

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It was brought into question:
    You stupid , it just happened to be in that same paragraph. Don't blame my quote for your dumb ass not being able to stay on topic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Pits are some of the brightest and sweetest dogs around. It IS how you raise them. And to those who think they are "naturally" aggressive towards humans, you are far from the truth. Pits are naturally aggressive towards other dogs, not humans. This can be traced back to their beginnings. Pits were bred to fight other dogs. If a Pit bit its owner, or anyone else involved in the fight, it was immediately killed. Pits aren't naturally aggressive towards humans, sorry. My old pit was a certified therapy dog I used to bring to work with me. She dealt with Autistic and developmentally disabled kids on a daily basis. They beat the out of her, yet she never did anything but show them love. Pits are a product of their owner. Teach them well when they are young, and you'll have no problems. Teach them to be an asshole, you'll have problems. You'd be surprised to learn how many dogs these days make a house uninsurable, the list is long.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    College
    Miami Hurricanes
    No, but thats an irrelvent issue. Experiences with one dog do not establish or deny the existance of a trend or predisposition within a breed.

pits are predatory but if it wasnt for stupid s training them to kill other dogs those numbers wouldnt be as inflated as they are.... they would be high but nowhere near what they are in those stats.... look at the rottweiler and not to many ppl fight rotts..... how many times you hear of rott attacks in the news or in the paper?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I dont' get the fascination with this breed of dog. Why is it that every attack I hear about involves pit bulls? Are the media just hyping them up or are the dogs really just involved in that many incidents? Man, if you owned a pit bull that killed my child, it woudlnt' be pretty.
    So, we answered the question. Most of the media's attention of dog attacks are not skewed to just show pit pulls. In fact, pit bulls do attack more then most dogs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    My two attack dogs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Pits are some of the brightest and sweetest dogs around. It IS how you raise them. And to those who think they are "naturally" aggressive towards humans, you are far from the truth. Pits are naturally aggressive towards other dogs, not humans. This can be traced back to their beginnings. Pits were bred to fight other dogs. If a Pit bit its owner, or anyone else involved in the fight, it was immediately killed. Pits aren't naturally aggressive towards humans, sorry. My old pit was a certified therapy dog I used to bring to work with me. She dealt with Autistic and developmentally disabled kids on a daily basis. They beat the out of her, yet she never did anything but show them love. Pits are a product of their owner. Teach them well when they are young, and you'll have no problems. Teach them to be an asshole, you'll have problems. You'd be surprised to learn how many dogs these days make a house uninsurable, the list is long.

Sorry, but it definitely is NOT all about how you raise them. All pure-bred dogs can be a little wacky and Pits get more wacky than most. If what you said was true we wouldn't see such a disproportionment of attacks being attributed to Pits.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    You stupid , it just happened to be in that same paragraph. Don't blame my quote for your dumb ass not being able to stay on topic.
    Then I misunderstood.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    how many times you hear of rott attacks in the news or in the paper?
    That right there is another problem pits face, the media. There are dog attacks every day that go unreported in the news because its not a "pit". Pits are always and only shown to be assholes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    That's adorable. The pictures were too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Sorry, but it definitely is NOT all about how you raise them. All pure-bred dogs can be a little wacky and Pits get more wacky than most. If what you said was true we wouldn't see such a disproportionment of attacks being attributed to Pits.
    Pure breeds? Do you know how many types of dogs in these attacks are referred to as "pit bulls"?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a land mine in my living room. It's harmless as long as you know where to step.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That right there is another problem pits face, the media. There are dog attacks every day that go unreported in the news because its not a "pit". Pits are always and only shown to be assholes.
    Though I do agree with this partially, you have to remember that a pit is much stronger than other dogs, so a bite from say a collie is not going to have the same affect as a similar bite from a pit. So the attention is not unwarranted, though arguably over-sensationalized.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I have a land mine in my living room. It's harmless as long as you know where to step.

WEll, nothing much left to say.

Thread Information