My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To become the breakout player in the NBA is never an easy task. Even the definition is kind of hazy considering there is no vote, although it certainly can be considered a parallel with the league's most improved player.

It's no surprise the Spurs consider Tony Parker a superstar-in-waiting. (AP)
    And then there is the not-so-simple matter of how a player gets the opportunity to significantly raise his level of play. Last season, it was obviously Portland's Zach Randolph, going from a 17-minute-a-game guy averaging 8.4 points and 4.5 rebounds to a starter scoring 20.1 points and grabbing 10.5 boards. Then again, there was also Michael Redd, becoming an All-Star and go-to guy for the surprising Milwaukee Bucks.

This season, the first name that comes to mind is forward Al Harrington, traded by the Indiana Pacers to the Atlanta Hawks for Stephen Jackson. Still only 24, this is incredibly enough Harrington's seventh season. Hawks general manager Billy Knight coincidentally scouted him as a high school star for the Pacers many moons ago and was very comfortable in making Harrington the cornerstone for rebuilding the team under new ownership.

"I've had the opportunity to know Al and his family for a long time, and he's improved his game every year," Knight said. "He'll be called upon to do a lot more for us than he did with the Pacers because they had so many good players. He's going to be called upon to lead us to the next level. I know he has the talent, competes every night and is embracing the challenge."

But on a team as poor as the Hawks, it won't be easy. While Harrington will get more minutes, more shots, more everything with the Hawks, it will also equate to more futility and rattled confidence.

"The fact that he has not played a lot of big minutes, there is going to be a learning curve for him playing 35-40 minutes a night," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "He's going to get more shots than he's ever gotten and he's got to figure out how to consistently get shots he can make and involve his teammates at the same time."

All of this weighs on Harrington, a 6-foot-9, 250-pounder. As one of the top sixth men in the league for the conference finalists last season, he grew up with the Pacers -- experiencing the 2000 Finals -- and continuing to have a key role. But he always wanted to prove he could be the man.

On the Hawks, other than Antoine Walker, there isn't much choice. They struggle horribly defensively, but more obvious is the lack of chemistry with 11 new players and Woodson in his first season.

"At Indiana, I was fortunate enough to be on a great team, so on certain nights when I struggled, we could still win," Harrington said. "You never can grasp a situation until you're in it. Now, on some nights it's 'Wow, what are we going to do now?' That's something I have to learn to deal with. It's frustrating, but it's part of my growth and the team's. It's going to take until January or February until we're real comfortable with each other and trust each other on both ends of the floor. But during that time, it's still up to me to be a leader and perform. This is what I wanted, and I have to take advantage of it now."

Oddly enough, the Pacers still have two solid breakout candidates of their own, Harrington's fellow prep-to-pro buddy Jonathan Bender and third-year point guard Jamaal Tinsley. Pacers Donnie Walsh CEO wasn't thrilled about giving up Harrington, but Harrington would never have been happy as a non-starter. Plus, the addition of Jackson fills a need as a replacement for aging Reggie Miller and Bender -- if he can remain healthy -- can replace Harrington as the team's sixth man.

"We obviously have liked al a lot but he wasn't happy coming off the bench, and this gives him the opportunity he's wanted," Walsh said. "We also think Jonathan now has a chance to develop into a star with more minutes, and I really think people underrate the kind of point guard Jamal is."

That remains to be seen, which happens to be the case with just about all these players on the brink of s om. San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker is already at a different level, but also is expected to climb another step this season -- perhaps to All-Star status. Tony just has to become comfortable in his own skin," coach Gregg Popovich said. "The talent is there. He's performed at a very high level. When he's ready, it will all come to him."

It is no accident Harrington, Bender, Parker and Lewis all were drafted as teenagers. Players like Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Nene and Chris Wilcox also fit into that category ... perhaps coming of age. It's part of a league transition, with more very young players than ever before.

The top 10 potential breakout players this season:

Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
    Al Harrington, Atlanta Hawks
    Rashard Lewis, Seattle SuperSonics
    Gerald Wallace, Charlotte Bobcats
    Drew Gooden, Cleveland Cavaliers
    Jamal Tinsley, Indiana Pacers
    Nene, Denver Nuggets
    Chris Wilcox, Los Angeles Clippers
    Jonathan Bender, Indiana Pacers
    Tyson Chandler, Chicago Bulls

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7874833/2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting, I think that Manu should be placed on that list also. He is already showing significant improvement, especially within these first three season games.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony and Manu both have a shot, and Manu is playing better so far, but Parker is getting more shot attempts. Parker should have a shot at 18-20 ppg with the number of shots he is putting up....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Jamal Tinsley?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu should definitely be on that list, but who really expected Tony to tank these first few games...he'll be fine once he gets comfortable with playing again.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Wilcox, Los Angeles Clippers

Another former Terp makes good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Comfortable in his own skin" Translation: NBA Point Guard and not just a good scoring guard with quickness.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Jamal Tinsley?
    Dude's leading the league in assists this year.

Thread Information