ducks
    Jayda Evans, Seattle Times staff reporter

No one is more thankful for the past two days than Sonics guard Luke Ridnour.

The rookie would like to erase Wednesday's game and burn every tape of his poor performance in the 96-82 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.

It was as if the limited-issue Gary Payton bobblehead said, "Grab a notepad, rookie, 'cause you gonna get took to school."

Only this wasn't a private session from the future Hall of Famer. This was on regional television and Payton was wearing Lakers gold and brought teammate Derek Fisher along for the schooling. In eight minutes, Ridnour said he felt as he did when he returned from an abdominal injury in the offseason — off balance, out of place and slightly timid.

"I just wasn't ready," said a solemn Ridnour. "I was sitting and not playing. But it's been good having these two days (between games) to get ready to produce when I get a chance."

Ridnour was moved behind guard Antonio Daniels in the point-guard rotation to back up guard Brent Barry earlier in the season. Daniels plays better defense and leads the league in assist-to-turnover ratio (4.67). Ridnour was playing junk minutes in the meantime, receiving his first DNP-coach's decision against Memphis on Jan. 9.

After averaging 8.4 points and 2.8 assists in December, Ridnour has dipped to 1.7 points and 0.6 assists in fewer minutes this month.

But Barry broke his right ring finger Tuesday, and the lineup changed again. Now, Daniels is a starter and Ridnour will see increased minutes. Sonics coach Nate McMillan will toy with the backcourt rotation, however, possibly running natural shooting guards Ray Allen and Ronald Murray together, but Ridnour is needed.

Along with being a veteran leader, Barry was the guard who pushed the ball in transition to create easy fast-break layups. Daniels is more cautious with the basketball, while Ridnour is known for his jitterbug style.

"He looks a little tight right now," McMillan said. "I think that's due to not playing the last few games. His game is up-tempo. He needs to bring that game to the floor, and he has this season. That will open up the offense and options for us. We need that."

And that means continual baptisms by the NBA's top guards. Tonight it'll be the Sacramento Kings' Mike Bibby.

Ridnour spent hours at the practice facility yesterday and Thursday playing one-on-one with teammate Vladimir Radmanovic or running drills alone to correct mistakes he made against the Lakers. He also received an earful from McMillan, who wanted to make sure his rookie didn't feel he would yank him for minor flubs.

"What you do is let him play," McMillan said. "Everybody is going to want to introduce him and put their stamp on him right away. He has to make an adjustment, and the only way to do that is play.

"It used to happen to me. (Former Chicago Bulls) Ron Harper had my number, and I remember in the playoffs I didn't sleep at all."

Allen has tried to help Ridnour, too.

"Development is tough your rookie year," he said. "Luke is so small out on the floor, he has to find out what his niche is going to be. My rookie year I floated, my scoring was erratic at best and I didn't know what I was doing. I'm sure his head is spinning just as much as mine was."

Sure, the Sonics (22-22) defeated the Kings (32-12) 104-93 at home earlier this month (after being blown out in Sacramento by 31 points). That was when the bench was functioning as a unit, accounting for 41 points. Reggie Evans came off the bench to grab 12 rebounds.

Now the group is in a tizzy over who starts and who plays more minutes.

"(The reserves and former reserves) look at it like there are two players that should be out there (Allen and Rashard Lewis), other than that, 'I should be out there,' " McMillan said. "It's tough for guys who are not playing. But it's something the players have to adjust to. You deal with it and normally your opportunity will come.

"Luke's opportunity is now."

Jayda Evans: 206-464-2067 or [email protected]

UCASH
    yes

Thread Information