San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nov. 11, 2004, 3:04AM

Howard is sure to leave sweet legacy
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RICHARD JUSTICE
    ing its oomph

We measure them by their size and speed, by rebounds and home runs and all the rest. Sometimes we overlook the really important stuff.

That's why Juwan Howard might be a role model for what every professional athlete ought to be.

I have no idea how long he'll be with the Rockets, but I can tell you what will happen when he leaves.

Coaches will say they've never had a player they liked more. They'll say they've never had one who worked harder or was more conscientious. They'll say they wish every player could be more like him.

Howard's teammates will say a lot of the same things, and so will members of the front office. You'll hear that from those at the top of the masthead to those at the bottom.

Years from now, they may not remember one rebound he grabbed or game-winning basket he scored. But they'll recall that he was smart, thoughtful, articulate and gracious, that he was one of those rare people who realized how blessed he was to make millions in the NBA.

No.1 with the Bullets
    I met Howard in the summer of 1994, when the Washington Bullets — the team I once covered — made him the fifth pick of the NBA draft.

Typical of a terrible organization, the Bullets immediately set out to humiliate him. They offered him a contract below market value, then attempted to make him look like the bad guy when he held out.

To end the holdout, the Bullets gave him a 10-year contract at a lower average salary than he should have gotten. In return, Howard could become a free agent after his second season, thereby recovering any money he'd lost with the original deal.

The Bullets (since renamed the Wizards) learned they shouldn't have doubted him. He made them look like fools.

He averaged 17 points and 8.4 rebounds in his rookie season and 22.1 points and 8.1 rebounds in his second.

Hitting the books
    What many of his former teammates remember was a game in Toronto near the end of his second season. Howard essentially was carrying a team that had been gutted by injuries, and after he'd scored the last of 42 points against the Raptors, he plopped on the bench and, overcome by exhaustion and emotion, began to cry.

"You look down there, and he's sobbing," teammate Calbert Cheaney said at the time. "He played his heart out."

That game was only the second-most impressive thing Howard did during those early years in Washington.

His teammates thought he was aloof. They wondered why he always had his head stuck in books, why he was constantly writing in the notebooks that were always by his side.

One player asked if he was writing rap songs. Howard smiled.

"I'm finishing my degree," he said.

The grandmother who had raised him died during his senior year of high school in Chicago. One of her last requests was that he get his college degree. He took those final 18 hours during his rookie season.

"That was tough," he said. "I still remember studying before practice, after practice, on planes. I was determined to get it, but it was tough."

Attending graduation ceremonies at Michigan remains one of the highlights of his life.

Right about that time, the entire NBA fell in love with Juwan Howard. Stories about his work ethic spread throughout the league in the weeks before he was to become a free agent in 1996.

One of those stories concerned the summer before his second NBA season. The Bullets had acquired his buddy and former Michigan teammate Chris Webber the previous year, and because both of them were true power forwards, Howard was asked to play small forward.

Another player would have complained, but Howard went to work. That summer, Michael Jordan invited him to participate in daily scrimmages on a temporary court built for the superstar on the back lot of a movie studio in Los Angeles.

In hours and hours of pickup games, Howard guarded the player who was then the league's best small forward — Scottie Pippen.

Howard got beat up by Pippen that summer, but when the Bullets reported to camp, he was ready for anything any other small forward could throw at him.

After his second season, he got a contract befitting a superstar — $105 million over seven years.

He's 31 now and never really become one. He has averaged 17.8 points and 7.4 rebounds for 10 NBA seasons — solid but not spectacular numbers — and some have criticized him for failing to fulfill his potential.

In truth, Howard worked so hard and maximized his skills so quickly that he improved only modestly over the years. He's now what he was then: a solid rebounder and defender and an offensive player with both a decent low-post game and consistent mid-range jumper.

Since the Wizards traded him in 2001, Howard has been with four teams in four seasons. He played pretty well at every stop but kept getting bounced.

When the Rockets got him in the Tracy McGrady deal last summer, they emphasized that he'd be a valuable addition. So far, he has been.

Howard is averaging 10 points and 22 minutes a game, but he had 20 points in 24 minutes in Tuesday's 90-87 victory over Memphis.

His role will be defined as coach Jeff Van Gundy fits the various pieces in place over the next few months. Howard won't complain, no matter what happens.

"I'm here to win," he said, "and this team has a chance to do that. We've got a great makeup, and I'm happy to be part of it."

Maybe his more lasting impact will come off the court with dozens of speaking engagements to schools and youth groups, with the way younger teammates see how he approaches his job.

He has not been perfect either on the court or off, but he has left a legacy that will have little to do with statistics.

"I've been very lucky," Howard said. "I've worked hard for everything I've gotten, but God has blessed me."

All is forgiven on my part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's good to know the other side of the coin on Howard, a guy that seems to have cheap shot artist written somewhere earlier in that "Legacy".

I am confused about one of his quotes though...the last quote in the above article:

"I've been very lucky," Howard said. "I've worked hard for everything I've gotten, but God has blessed me." Well, which one is it?

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's good to know the other side of the coin on Howard, a guy that seems to have cheap shot artist written somewhere earlier in that "Legacy".

I am confused about one of his quotes though...the last quote in the above article:

"I've been very lucky," Howard said. "I've worked hard for everything I've gotten, but God has blessed me." Well, which one is it?

Solid, you have not heard the adage, "God helps those who help themselves"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I've heard that adage.

I guess, just to make sure, Howard is covering all his bases.
    1. "very lucky"
    2. "I've worked hard for everything I've gotten"
    3. "God has blessed me."

Hell Yea I'm A Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he'll always be the cheap shot artist that prevented us from beating the Lakers in 01, by taking out DA on a play that was meaningless

none of the bullsh!t written above will make up for that

Thread Information