Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=7240619

Talk of the Nation, February 7, 2007 · Lawmakers begin a debate on whether a vaccine against HPV should be added to the must-have list of immunizations. Guests on the program talk about the vaccine, how it works, and whether the vaccine should be mandatory.

Guests:

Robert Rose, associate professor of medicine, and of microbiology and immunology, University of Rochester Medical Center; helped to develop HPV vaccine

Gregory Zimet, professor with Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Indiana University Cancer Center; researched different at udes toward STD vaccines and mandates

Dawn Richardson, president of Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education; opposes HPV vaccine mandate

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just don't think it's at the stage where it should be mandated by law.
    good point shooogarbear

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think its something we should have voted on, or at LEAST OUR LAWMAKERS

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    plus there is evidence that shows flourine calcifies a portion of the brain largely responsible for creativity
    You got a citation for that?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    As to the person above... yes, the vaccine is to be administered before the female becomes sexually active- that is, before there is any chance she already has HPV.
    From what I understand, even if a girl/woman has one type of HPV, the vaccine might still be helpful to ward off other strains of HPV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here's a question.

By making this mandatory, insurance companies now have to cover the costs associated with the vaccine and those who can't afford it can get it either free or at greatly reduced prices, right?

Is there any other route (after a rescinding of the executive order) that can be taken where insurance companies could fit the bill and the costs could be reduced for those who can't afford it?
    I don't know.

I would speculate that insurance companies would cover it anyway since it is not considered experimental therapy. But obviously with a law they would have no choice (except to leave the state).

Coverage for those with no insurance would I guess have to be covered by government programs (i.e., Medicaid), but I don't know how that works on a state-by-state level.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How could that information come out? What if the Norwegian study that will be completed in 2018 finds that the vaccine wears off in 6 years? That would put your daughters at ages 17-18 and at risk again. And no one would know any better.

Or what if they found that by treating 16 and 18, it made 52 and 53 stronger and carcinogenic?

Like I said earlier, there are a of a lot more questions than answers for a vaccine that only decreases your chances of getting a certain type of cancer.

Again, why the rush?
    Even after getting the vaccine they ask that you get annual screenings for CC.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Even after getting the vaccine they ask that you get annual screenings for CC.

Shouldn't the screenings be mandatory as well? Isn't that the biggest problem with CC, that a lot of women have never been screened or haven't been in 5 plus years? Do you honestly think that by getting the vaccination they will go more?

EDIT: I don't even know if that's a valid point or not because I see no reason a 12, 13 or 14 year old girl needs to be screened for CC unless she's been sexually active.

I've been reading up a little on Hep B vaccination, specifically in newborns. Why is it necessary? Is it true that the ACIP recommended vaccination only because they thought that the wouldn't be able to get junkies, sexuals, etc. to receive the series of shots? Some info from someone with a better knowledge please chime in...

I really don't have an argument. It's more of me just spouting random thoughts. Feel free to enlighten me.
    Last edited by DisgruntledLionFan#54,927; 02-08-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    one benefit of this vaccine that no one has mentioned is that it will actually decrease the chance of pedophiles contracting hpv

i think we can all agree that those poor guys suffer enough as it is and no one benefits from that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    if it's an STD, then what does school have to do with it? Are the girls having sex in Science class, or Math class?
    The thinking is to have girls vaccinated before they start having sex, which is about 11 or 12.

The vaccine is supposed to work better before the virus is present in the body.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know why I got this, but i received from maketheconnection.org info about all this. It doesn't mention anything about the vaccine on the info they sent me...dunno about the website.

It also came with a beaded bracelet kit!

And I don't even have girls.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I don't know why I got this, but i received from maketheconnection.org info about all this. It doesn't mention anything about the vaccine on the info they sent me...dunno about the website.

And I don't even have girls.
    They've seen your picture and wanted to make sure they got you all the information about Gardasil before it you passed the recommended age for taking it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Smoove.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They've seen your picture and wanted to make sure they got you all the information about Gardasil before it you passed the recommended age for taking it.
    Smoove, indeed!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The funny thing is, that's how JB really pronounces it.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Btw, does any of the Mookie crew want this????

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    From what I understand, even if a girl/woman has one type of HPV, the vaccine might still be helpful to ward off other strains of HPV.
    I was addressing the early age of vaccination. But, yes, there are many strains of HPV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You got a citation for that?

heres something that came up first on google, but the data is out there

sorry this is way offtopic

http://fluoridealert.org/health/pineal/

The pineal gland also contains hard tissue (hyroxyapa e crystals), and this hard tissue ac ulates more fluoride (up to 21,000 ppm) than any other hard tissue in the body (e.g. teeth and bone).

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    heres something that came up first on google, but the data is out there

sorry this is way offtopic

http://fluoridealert.org/health/pineal/
    shoogerbear brought this up earlier in this thread. there's a whole lot more out there to dig up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    if it's an STD, then what does school have to do with it? Are the girls having sex in Science class, or Math class?
    That's like asking "if it's Sex Ed, why is it being taught in school?"

And to answer your question, I don't know how many years you've been in or out of highschool, but when I was in school there WERE couples finding places at school to do that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Shouldn't the screenings be mandatory as well? Isn't that the biggest problem with CC, that a lot of women have never been screened or haven't been in 5 plus years? Do you honestly think that by getting the vaccination they will go more?

EDIT: I don't even know if that's a valid point or not because I see no reason a 12, 13 or 14 year old girl needs to be screened for CC unless she's been sexually active.

I've been reading up a little on Hep B vaccination, specifically in newborns. Why is it necessary? Is it true that the ACIP recommended vaccination only because they thought that the wouldn't be able to get junkies, sexuals, etc. to receive the series of shots? Some info from someone with a better knowledge please chime in...

I really don't have an argument. It's more of me just spouting random thoughts. Feel free to enlighten me.
    Well most women do have pap smears done annually, but no one is making them go. I think it would be a good thing to make it mandatory, but how on earth would a yearly doctor's visit be enforced?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    gardasil can't be given to women who are pregnant...what are they going to do? preggo-test every single 11 year old girl before giving them the vaccine?
    goddam elpimpo dropped the science on yall *crickets*

may the force kick yo ass ObiwanGinobili's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is There Really a Vaccine for Cervical Cancer?
    By Summer Minor

A new vaccine that is being touted as prevention for cervical cancer is making headlines right now. A wave of commercials, print ads, and articles are spreading across the nation praising the benefits of this medical miracle Gardasil®. In Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry issued an order Friday making Texas the first state to require that schoolgirls ages 11 and 12 get this vaccine. Every one is excited for what this new step could mean for the health of women, but some are asking if this really is the cancer vaccine that it is being made out to be.

Human papilloma virus, or HPV, is a common virus that is spread through sexual contact, so common in fact that more than 50 percent of sexually active adults will have had this virus at least once in their lives. HPV causes an infection in the cervix, an infection that generally does not last long because of the body's ability to fight off the infection. Most people will never know they have HPV and most infections go away without treatment. If the infection does not clear it can lead to pre-cancerous cells. But it is important to note that pre-cancer is not cancer. In fact very few HPV infections actually lead to cervical cancer. The American Cancer Society states on their website that most cells with early pre-cancer changes return to normal on their own. They further point out on their site that only women who have HIV or AIDS, smoke, or have a specific variety of HPV have a greater risk of cervical cancer. There are more than 100 types of HPV, according to the American Cancer Society, more than 30 of these strains can infect the genitals and cause wart-like growths on or around the genitals and anus of both men and women but are not linked with cancer. Out of the over 100 strains only 13 HPV types are associated with a high risk of cervical cancer.

Gardasil, though advertised as a prevention for cervical cancer, actually only protects against four HPV types and is s most effective in women who have not yet acquired any of the four HPV types covered. In addition, according to the Center for Disease Control about 30% of cervical cancers will not be prevented by the vaccine. This relatively new vaccine is actually still being studied. Currently there is little to no information on how this vaccine could affect men, women over the age of 26, pregnant women, the length of vaccine protection, or how much protection is offered by only getting one or two of the three dose vaccine. The women who were originally studied for Gardasil were only followed for five years, making it near impossible to know what long term side effects it may have.

Though Gardasil is posed as a break though vaccine health officials warn that this vaccine should not subs ute for routine cervical cancer screening known as Pap tests. A Pap test will usually tell you if you have any cervix cell changes that could be caused by HPV and give you and your doctor an early indicator. The American Cancer Society states that cervical cancer is rare today in women who get their Pap tests, HPV that does not go away over many years can lead to cervix cancer but periodic screening through the Pap test can diagnose HPV while still in early stages. There is also a HPV DNA test available for women over the age of 30 that can detect HPV on a woman's cervix though it cannot tell what strain of HPV is present. Most women diagnosed with cervical cancer in the U.S. have either never had a Pap test, or have not had a Pap test in the last 5 years according to the Center for Disease Control. The CDC states that the only sure way to prevent HPV is to abstain from all sexual activity, as there is still a risk of contracting HPV with condom use. Because most people infected show no symptoms and do not know that they are infected it is possible to pass along HPV to sexual partners without knowing.

Serious adverse effects of Gardasil are being reported to the federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). VAERS is a cooperative program for vaccine safety of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration. VAERS is a post-marketing safety surveillance program, collecting information about adverse events (possible side effects) that occur after the administration of US licensed vaccines. Their report shows several claims of loss of consciousness, seizures, joint pain and Guillain-Barre Syndrome believed to be caused by the HPV vaccine. Between July 2006 and January 2007 VAERS has had 82 reports of adverse effects following the administration of Gardasil, these reports have come from 21 states and including the District of Columbia. All but three of the reports were for reactions within one week of vaccination, and more than 60 percent occurred within 24 hours of vaccination. Vicky Debold, RN, Ph.D. and Health Policy Analyst for the National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) stated "These young girls are experiencing severe headaches, dizziness, temporary loss of vision, slurred speech, fainting, involuntary contraction of limbs (seizures), muscle weakness, tingling and numbness in the hands and feet and joint pain. Some of the girls have lost consciousness during what appears to be seizures." The VAERS reports also indicate that doctors are giving Gardasil shots along with other vaccines, though the Merck product insert states that Gardasil has not been tested along with any other vaccine except for the hepa is B vaccine.

Gardasil is being examined with su ion by many over the larger-than-life claims on the effectiveness of this vaccine on cervical cancer and the limited research done on this relatively new vaccine. Financial ties to lobbyists and legislators are also casting su ion upon the new vaccine, such as with Republican Gov. Rick Perry whose current chief of staff has family in the advocacy group where Merck funnels money through for lobbying. Many are also raising eyebrows at the high cost of Gardasil, at $360 for the full series this is one of the most costly vaccines available today making many wonder if there are financial reasons rather than health reasons for the vaccine's push.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.fda.gov/cber/minutes/0910evolv.txt

Pg 84-85

It is known that these patients all have particular cell-mediated immune deficiencies. Again, suggesting that particular arms of the immune system are responsible for either containing or failing to contain different subgroups of the papilloma viruses. As we look at these women over a period of time through these six month or so samples, what we also find, and other labs have exactly the same results, is every time we sample, you may or may not see the type you saw before. It may switch. For (Pg 85) instance, we have this patient who had 6 plus 16, and then 11 plus one that was minor and we couldn't tell, then jyn 2, and then type 40, and then we had a type 4, but the others disappeared.

Page 87-88

I feel that they are virtually ubiquitous. they are typically sub-clinical, persist in or latent (pg 88) infections. There are staggeringly large number of genotypes if we take the care to look. I might say that the reason these are typically not found is that people use generic cross-hybridizing probes or have cut off their probe sets. If you're not probing for something, you are not going to see it.

My Page 88 and 89 ~ I saved it to a word do ent (perhaps 86 or 87 on theirs)

"We have found a brand new HPV type for every 10 people that we have looked at. Philodelius and Ethel Mic e Diveres and zur Hausen and Shamen in European study of tutanius papilloma viruses have found a new papilloma virus for just about every other person they have looked at when they use the combination of nested PCR and DNA sequencing. Robbie Burke's group, Jill Polefski's group, have very comparable experiences looking at anal papillomas or female genital tract. It is my contention right now that instead of 80 HPV genotypes or 150 that have been officially named, that there probably are millions of variants, virtually a continuum. We feel that basically everybody has their own personal micro flora, that these are passively acquired or vertically acquired,not necessarily sexually, but certainly possibly sexually, and that they simply are part of the human condition as are microflora, just as we have microflora composed of bacteria and many other viruses, and that they basically are utterly ubiquitous.

Page 101-102

R. BROKER: Well, I think one way is that in a very high percentage of the people, there are clear dysplasia, low and high grade. All the women who have any degree of dysplasia are also biopsied, and the inside 2 hybridization, as you can see, is showing clear effects in the tissue. (pg98) So I don't think there's surface adven ious contaminants. These are within, at least a fair number, if not all, are within the cells, and causing various degrees of actual overt illness.

DR. RUSSO: I may have missed the data. Did you show the types that are associated with high grade lesions, the HPV types? I didn't see on the table.

DR. BROKER: Yes. Well basically, in this immense spectrum of what's now 37 different viruses that we found, those that are most typically associated with low and high grade dysplasia, the actual diseases, are the higher risk types.

DR. RUSSO: So you are not suggesting that if you want to prevent cervical cancer, we should focus on different types of the one already identified?

DR. BROKER: Well the real problematic thing for any clinical management, either vaccination programs or small molecule drugs, is this absolutely exploding number of virus types. The one thing that I think is going to -- and I commented a day or two ago that in the U.S. alone today, there are over 250 to 300,000 people immuno-suppressed just due to organ transplants, (Pg 99)steroid use, or bone marrow transplants or AIDS. So there is an immense reservoir of particularly high risk patients. Nonetheless, most of the diseases are still being caused by a handful of viruses like 16, 18, 52. So I think, at least the ones we have to worry about today, are still manageable in number."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this is my favorite part.

We have found a brand new HPV type for every 10 people that we have looked at. Philodelius and Ethel Mic e Diveres and zur Hausen and Shamen in European study of tutanius papilloma viruses have found a new papilloma virus for just about every other person they have looked at when they use the combination of nested PCR and DNA sequencing. Robbie Burke's group, Jill Polefski's group, have very comparable experiences looking at anal papillomas or female genital tract. It is my contention right now that instead of 80 HPV genotypes or 150 that have been officially named, that there probably are millions of variants, virtually a continuum. We feel that basically everybody has their own personal micro flora, that these are passively acquired or vertically acquired,not necessarily sexually, but certainly possibly sexually, and that they simply are part of the human condition as are microflora, just as we have microflora composed of bacteria and many other viruses, and that they basically are utterly ubiquitous.

Thread Information