Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    More info for those who care:

Apparently the AAP added the recommendation just last month.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't because I obviously do a ty job at getting my ideas out in a non threatening way, much less convincing people to change their minds about something.

Well, you can start by going back and reading your initial post in this thread ... and see if you can point out where it all went wrong.

Hint: Super-exaggerated sarcasm with a wickedly bitter inflection will do a pretty good job of putting people on the defensive and make them see you as irrational, regardless of whether you are or not...or if what you were trying to say would have actually initiated a really good discussion if you'd put it out there a little more *eloquently*. Apparently this is something boutons hasn't figured out quite yet, either.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 02-02-2007 at 11:11 PM.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think he is refering to those shows where the young girls do stupid , realease an album, then become a super before the age of 17. Most shows have no educational value whatsoever, and pretty much glorify materialism. At least the shows in our time had PSAs
    Depends what shows you let your kids watch.

My kids watch tv all the time...as well as getting plenty of outside time, and they know that if they want something, they have to buy it with their own money. But I'm not one to spoil my kids.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Again, my point is proved.

I just mean someone who points out something wrong and is labelled as 'liberal' by this board.
    I don't really see your point as political, one way or the other. I do agree with you the whole thing is generally wrong, but pointing it out definitely wouldn't have labeled you as a liberal if you hadn't pushed the "Republican governor" button in the beginning.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I stopped reading this back on page one, but I'll say this.

Those complaining about this probably have no idea how big of a problem HPV is and how easily it is transmitted. Condoms don't do against this virus.

I think CBF just likes to go against the grain as much as possible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I stopped reading this back on page one, but I'll say this.

Those complaining about this probably have no idea how big of a problem HPV is and how easily it is transmitted. Condoms don't do against this virus.

I think CBF just likes to go against the grain as much as possible.
    You know, if the Muslim terrorists on 24 unleashed a wave of HPV on the population, that would be kind of funny.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How do you know white terrorists arent unleshing it and THATS the problem Jb!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    How do you know white terrorists arent unleshing it and THATS the problem Jb!!!
    Because 24 teaches us that Muslims can only be terrorists and white people only want to squash their civil rights, remember.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I quit reading on page one also. SW said exactly what I was thinking.

Little ASF will definitely be getting this shot.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Because 24 teaches us that Muslims can only be terrorists and white people only want to squash their civil rights, remember
    24 makes more sense than CBF does 99% of the time.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    further medicating this nation. won't you people do more than just go to a doctor and say "ok" to something that'll either give you the runs, lose your eyesight, give you heartburn or some other un-natural side effect. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. YOU ARE YOUR BROTHER'S KEEPER.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Im sorry but i dont think any vaccine should be forced on anyone. I dont care if it makes you live forever, if they dont want it, dont make them. Not to mention that no one knows the long term side effects. Just another example of Big Brother telling you what's best. This is a "free" country right?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    further medicating this nation. won't you people do more than just go to a doctor and say "ok" to something that'll either give you the runs, lose your eyesight, give you heartburn or some other un-natural side effect. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. YOU ARE YOUR BROTHER'S KEEPER.
    A vaccine is not medicating anything.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Im sorry but i dont think any vaccine should be forced on anyone. I dont care if it makes you live forever, if they dont want it, dont make them. Not to mention that no one knows the long term side effects. Just another example of Big Brother telling you what's best. This is a "free" country right?
    It isn't forced on anyone - you can opt out.

I feel an education should be forced on all of you so that there would be a chance you would know what you were talking about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    BTW, I can promise you that a very large percentage of the men in this thread are carrying the HPV virus. This thing is very very widespread.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    BTW, I can promise you that a very large percentage of the men in this thread are carrying the HPV virus. This thing is very very widespread.

I;m not

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Merck and its Vioxx was a big disaster, especially since Merck lied about the clinical trials to get that approved. And although Vioxx was recalled many have died and doctors have stated that it will be 10 years after those who took Vioxx would be clear of deaths and heart attacks.

The fact that this is a mandatory it takes away the financial liability of Merck and no one can sue if they are lying about their clinical trials again.....

Not to mention it is a parents decision not the government...

I've done research on HPV, and the data on it has changed a lot over the years. At one point, they were saying that it was incurable. Now, they say it goes away on its own.

I refuse to allow a government to administer a vaccine for a virus that is still being studied.

How do they know the vaccine will work? What side effects will it have?

These are questions that I don't believe have been sufficiently answered enough to allow our government to administer this shot. If parents want to have their daughters vaccinated, then they have that right.

Rick Perry does not have the right to tell me it's mandatory. This isn't like other communicable viruses, like mumps or measles that are spread through the air and can harm anyone around you.

That is why those vaccines are required for school age children. This vaccine does not fall into that category and Perry has overstepped his bounds as governor of my state.

I think I'll have to go back over our cons ution, we do still have one don't we?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Merck and its Vioxx was a big disaster, especially since Merck lied about the clinical trials to get that approved. And although Vioxx was recalled many have died and doctors have stated that it will be 10 years after those who took Vioxx would be clear of deaths and heart attacks.

The fact that this is a mandatory it takes away the financial liability of Merck and no one can sue if they are lying about their clinical trials again.....

Not to mention it is a parents decision not the government...

I've done research on HPV, and the data on it has changed a lot over the years. At one point, they were saying that it was incurable. Now, they say it goes away on its own.

I refuse to allow a government to administer a vaccine for a virus that is still being studied.

How do they know the vaccine will work? What side effects will it have?

These are questions that I don't believe have been sufficiently answered enough to allow our government to administer this shot. If parents want to have their daughters vaccinated, then they have that right.

Rick Perry does not have the right to tell me it's mandatory. This isn't like other communicable viruses, like mumps or measles that are spread through the air and can harm anyone around you.

That is why those vaccines are required for school age children. This vaccine does not fall into that category and Perry has overstepped his bounds as governor of my state.

I think I'll have to go back over our cons ution, we do still have one don't we?
    Did you read the part that it's not really mandatory? You just fill out/sign an affidavit saying that you don't want it and your daughter doesn't have to have it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You can choose not to give it to you daughter for "religous" reasons, it's just a way for insurances/gov. to have to foot the bill.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I kinda see CBF's point, but that doesn't mean the point is valid. I promise you that a parent - even more a parent of a little girl - has a totally different POV on stuff like that.

Unlike some of you might think, parenting is not an exact science. happens despite your best intentions or effort. So as a parent what your trying to do is to stack the deck in favour of your kid making it. Of course we don't know what the side effects will be yet, but you have to take a bet, look at the info and the odds and make a decision. At this point this vaccine seems to be the better option (look at opinions from all over the world, from doctors that have been much less influenced by the pharma lobby).

So when - if - you come to that conclusions all the politics associated with it become non issues. Actually the only issue I'm interested right now is how to make the vaccine as widely available possibly at no or low cost.

My daughter is 7 now and I'll be following this issue very carefully and if the info will be like this when she's 11 she'll be getting the vacine.

It doesn't mean I have given up on my plans to start building and electrified fence around the house next year or to stop the remodeling of my "future boyfriends meeting room" that we'll have an amazing display of high power guns right in the middle of it (with glossy pictures of me using them). I'm just stacking the decks...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    And in the meantime before it goes away (if it does), it causes cervical cancer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let's make it mandatory to inject our kids with something they have no choice over--and all to the benefit of Merck and Co! What a great republican. I want to go out right now and vote republican, even though there are no elections right now! As long as he makes laws where our kid have to be injected with things, in order for his supporters to make millions of dollars-i'm happy!
    Bypassing the Legislature altogether,Perry, a conservative Christian who opposes abortion and stem-cell research using embryonic cells,Perry has ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company's three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, Perry's former chief of staff. His current chief of staff's mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

The governor also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.

The order is effective until Perry or a successor changes it, and the Legislature has no authority to repeal it,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/...ervical_cancer

I know if my grand-daughter was a few years older, I would appear with my
    son & daughter-in law and the waiver and make dam sure the nurse and principal knew of my objections.
    I would also have them acknowledge reciept of my request for waiver.

This is just another case of one jackass politican paying off his political supporters

He's cir venting the will of the people," said Dawn Richardson, president of Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education, a citizens group that fought for the right to opt out of other vaccine requirements. "There are bills filed. There's no emergency except in the boardrooms of Merck, where this is failing to gain the support that they had expected."

It puts on parents who allready have enough to deal with. Also, Merck and Co. is not on the top of the good list with the public after how they pushed their last failed drug on the public that is still tied up with numerous law suits. Maybe this is how Merck plans to get back on top. Also, this is a new drug that has little data as to the long term side effects caused by it.

It must be given before a girl become sexually active. From what I have seen
    there is no sure fire stats that this will work, except from stats from Merck
    Last edited by AFE7FATMAN; 02-03-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Why are so many people pro-cancer?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why are so many people pro-cancer?
    Because they think it won't happen to them...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Because they think it won't happen to them...

I'm pretty sure I won't get cervical cancer

Thread Information