Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2007, about 11,150 cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed in the United States. About 3,670 women will die from cervical cancer in the United States during 2007.

Almost all (>99 percent) cervical cancers are related to HPV. Of these, about 70 percent are caused by HPV types 16 or 18.

This vaccine protects against these 2 types of HPV that cause 70% of all cervical cancers (HPV 16 and 18) and 2 types of HPV that cause 90% of all genital warts (HPV 6 and 11).

http://www.cancer.org/

Though I can understand some parents hesitancy about any vaccine, this vaccine protects against HPV 16 and 18 - which cause 70% of nearly all cervical cancers.

By the way AFE7FATMAN, 90% of HPV goes away within two years on it's own like you said. But those aren't the strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer. The chronic strains (HPV-16, HPV-18, HPV-31, HPV -35, HPV-39, HPV-45, HPV-51, HPV-52, and HPV-58) are the ones that are that problem.

Gotta Fly, to Old to drive. BIG IRISH's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm pretty sure I won't get cervical cancer
    Get the shot, I understand that Mereck states that it also prevents males from getting genital warts.

I am buying stock in Merck. The amount of money spent on the vaccine in Texas alone will guarantee amazing profits for Merck. Consider there are over 450,000 students in Texas public schools at $360 to $600 dollar per treatment and an additional 29 million to cover low income and medicaid recipients Merck is the goose that laid the golden egg and Governor Perry is making sure we feed this goose.

I went to Merck?s web site. According to Merck, Gardasil only helps protect against Human Papillomavirus (HPV).
    There are more than 100 HPV types of which Gardasil only helps to protect against 4 types.

These 4 types of HPV cause approximately 70% of cervical cancers. Gardasil does not protect against the remaining more than 96 types of HPV?s.

Gardasil will not protect against HPV types which you have already been exposed to.

With over 20 million people already infected with the virus Gardasil will be of NO BENEFIT. Why should it according to Merck for most infected people the virus goes away on it?s own.

When the virus does not go away it could develop into cervical cancer or genital warts. Of course as Merck?s web site explains Gardasil may not fully protect everyone who gets the vaccine.

Merck advises that with Gardasil the possible side effects range from pain, swelling and redness at the injection site, fever, nausea, dizziness and difficulty breathing and can not be administered to pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant.

Seems like paying a lot of money to protect a small portion of the public with a drug that may or may not work against a small percentage of the virus that in most cases will go away.

I'm against the ideal of rushing to administer a questionable treatment on my children without knowing the possible long range effects of this drug.

As an investor I'm jumping of the Perry bandwagon and joining his profiteering. With the money Perry is forcing Texan's to pay Merck I should be able to retire a whole lot sooner than planned
    Last edited by BIG IRISH; 02-03-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, I guess I wasn't totally right ....

Perry also directed state health authorities to make the vaccine available free to girls 9 to 18 who are uninsured or whose insurance does not cover vaccines. In addition, he ordered that Medicaid offer Gardasil to women ages 19 to 21.
    link

Merck advises that with Gardasil the possible side effects range from pain, swelling and redness at the injection site, fever, nausea, dizziness and difficulty breathing and can not be administered to pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant.
    That's pretty much the case with all vaccines ... that's why the doctor will usually give them or recommend you give them Tylenol or the like along with them.

I still will never understand why people get so enraged about other people making money, especially if the service or product they are offering have potentially huge benefits. Especially if there's an opt-out clause attached to it.

There are health risks with any type of medication you take, FDA approved or what you found at GNC. I'd reckon that the drugs given for cancer would be a lot more potentially devastating to your quality of life than would a vaccine, and worth the risk, IMO.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 02-03-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    So CBF, if you're against Big Brother so much (and not because it's a Tahoe-drivin', flag-wavin' Murrican in the governor's office), why do you just accept the vaccines the law requires in "this free country"?

Why are you going to have your children get the vaccinations?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's the probability of getting cervical cancer?

11,150 cases/year in 150M women = 7.4 E -5 = .000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.

How many of those 11,150 cases have been proven to have been caused by HPV? ie, can you get cervical cancer without HPV? If you can, then the vaccine is useless for those cases (but not for $Merck).

How many of these (perhaps sexually over-active young women) :

drink while driving and/or ride with a driver who does ?

and/or

smoke 1+ packs of cigarettes/day (to lose weight) ?

and/or

have unprotected, STD-risky sex?

How much has/does/will Merck donate to Perry's and TX Repug political coffers?

( did you really think a TX Repug would implement a mandatory (health) policy that enriches a campaign donor by 100s of $Ms (with no marketing costs) without some payback for himself? What's the probability of TX Repugs benefiting from this policy vs the probability of benefit to women? )

Anybody who gets expensive, brand-new (no long term studies) injected into their bodies when the primary beneficiaries are Repugs and big Pharma is naive.
    Last edited by boutons_; 02-03-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    How many of those 11,150 cases have been proven to have been caused by HPV? ie, can you get cervical cancer without HPV? If you can, then the vaccine is useless for those cases (but not for $Merck).
    According to the American Cancer Society, 99% of all cervical cancer is caused by HPV.

This vaccine works against 70% of that 99%.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^ boutons is right,

.000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.
    and thats still not even hpb

spurswoman would take any drug endorsed by Rick Perry because they want healthy children? I just dont get it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    honestly timvp has a better chance of his chode exploding

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    This has been out on the market for about 5 years. I remember vioxx being the wonder drug too. I'd rather them give it more time before they make it mandatory.
    It's not exactly mandatory. Parents just sign a waiver and their daughters don't have to have it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    As for the people going crazy about Merck, the vaccine has also been developed by GlaxoSmithKline (as Cervarix), so it Merck won't have a monopoly on it soon.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Not thatI want to get into this...but I just find it kind of funny how it's mainly the ones not at risk of getting cervical cancer telling the ones at risk that they don't need the shot.

Men can get this stuff but it's no worse than a mild case of crabs unless you are doing really destructive stuff to your body. And if you are cut the slight risk of penile cancer(god forbid) is non-existent.

Women OTOH can get die from it and this shot decreases that chance...

I dated a woman whose gynecologist told her she might have cervical cancer, and they had to cut a sample off her cervix...Boom, freaked out about it for 2 weeks...

Doctor told her about how easiliy women can contract HPV...she was instantaneously in favor of this shot.

Scare tactics? Maybe...but I think women generally are less likely to around with stuff like this, that's probably one of the reasons they outlive men.

And doctors generally aren't too fond of malpractice suits...so I don't think they would be supporting it if there were apparent hazzards.

In any case, you can opt out of getting this for your kids.

BTW, I do agree with CBF's free enterprise points...nothing better than companies competing to make you healthy.

I don't think anything that can save your live should be protected by patents and exclusive rights or be monopolized by one company.

Ironically most of CBF's stance appeared to be quite conservative to me...other than obvious distrust of the government, which is generally considered a leftwing mindset...but it's also an extreme right wing mindset as well.
    Last edited by whottt; 02-03-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Perry also directed state health authorities to make the vaccine available free to girls 9 to 18 who are uninsured or whose insurance does not cover vaccines. In addition, he ordered that Medicaid offer Gardasil to women ages 19 to 21.
    Free

What happened to it causing 300 dollars...

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A vaccine is not medicating anything.
    tomato. tomato
    potato. potato

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Free

What happened to it causing 300 dollars...

Just because the parents don't have to pay anything just means it's free for the parents that doesn't mean that the bill doesn't get paid.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Boutons, Mookie, et al... Would it change your mind to know that many hardcore evangelicals are against this vaccine as well?

(How different would this thread be if Oregon had been the first state to make the vaccine mandatory?)

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    spurswoman would take any drug endorsed by Rick Perry because they want healthy children? I just dont get it

No, I would take a drug that is FDA approved and is reasonably proven to be safe and prevent a disease that could kill me or at the very least destroy my fertility. I don't live my life around what political affiliation people are or how much more money they make than I do...I really don't give a .

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face, either.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 02-03-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "hardcore evangelicals are against this vaccine"

The enemies of my enemies are not my friends.

The evangelicals are against it very probably because it makes promiscuity safer.

Pretty much the same reasoning which pits "religious" nutters against passing out condoms in Africa to slow down AIDS and against any kind of birth control except abstinence, as if the some prudish prunes' beliefs were going to get Africans and teens to stop ing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    No, I would take a drug that is FDA approved and is reasonably proven to be safe and prevent a disease that could kill me or at the very least destroy my fertility...I don't live my life around what political affiliation people are...I really don't give a .

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face, either.

Vioxx was FDA approved and thanks to that little pill we have a "head of mascot operations"

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Vioxx was FDA approved and thanks to that little pill we have a "head of mascot operations"

Right, and my mother cried the day they pulled it from the shelves because it was the only thing she'd ever taken that made it possible for her to walk without excruciating pain. It was worth it for her at the time...but everything you put in your mouth has some kind of risk. For every one bad one, there's probably 100 good ones. Maybe what has no affect on one person will be deadly for another. Who will ever know with 100% certainty that anything will be completely safe? It's all a crap shoot.

If you don't want to take the risk, then don't. The same option is available here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This thread is wak. Most of the guys in the thread are going on and on and do not know the facts. But I think it's good. I also like you can choose to not have your child get the vaccine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Right, and my mother cried the day they pulled it from the shelves because it was the only thing she'd ever taken that made it possible for her to walk without excruciating pain. It was worth it for her at the time...but everything you put in your mouth has some kind of risk. For every one bad one, there's probably 100 good ones. Maybe what has no affect on one person will be deadly for another. Who will ever know with 100% certainty that anything will be completely safe? It's all a crap shoot.

If you don't want to take the risk, then don't. The same option is available here.

Let's say 5 years from now this little wonder vaccine suddenly gets pulled from the market, so glad people are willing to risk their daughter's heath on a "crap shoot"

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    What's the probability of getting cervical cancer?

11,150 cases/year in 150M women = 7.4 E -5 = .000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.

There is something wrong with your statistics if I don't personally know thousands of people and yet know several women who have dealt with cervical cancer or precancerous cells (that still require treatment). One thing that also does not factor into the equation is the number of women that have cervical cancer/pre-cancerous cells and/or genital warts who either do not know it or choose to ignore it. There are a lot of women in the latter category who either contract these diseases young and do not want to seek out treatment for fear of their parents finding out, or women who are not minors but do not have the means (finances/insurane/whatever) to fix the problem.

I think it's great that HPV awareness is finally becoming a reality - I know women that have suffered with this disease and not even known that it existed when they were diagnosed. It's not usually a fatal virus to get, but that doesn't mean that it isn't potentially painful, expensive, and emotionally taxing.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let's say 5 years from now this little wonder vaccine suddenly gets pulled from the market, so glad people are willing to risk their daughter's heath on a "crap shoot"

Getting in the car and driving down the road is a crap shoot, too, I mean, I've been driving for 20 years and have made it through okay ... but who is to say the very next time I get in my truck that it won't be the last?

Although I'm so glad you seem to be so concerned about everyone else's daughters.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There is something wrong with your statistics if I don't personally know thousands of people and yet know several women who have dealt with cervical cancer or precancerous cells (that still require treatment).

Even more odd, because I know a few also ... and I'd be willing to bet they aren't the same people you know.

Thread Information