Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Texas Requires Cancer Vaccine for Girls

Feb 02 3:31 PM US/Eastern

By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON
    Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN (AP) -- Gov. Rick Perry ordered Friday that schoolgirls in Texas must be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, making Texas the first state to require the shots.
    The girls will have to get Merck & Co.'s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, that are responsible for most cases of cervical cancer.

Merck is bankrolling efforts to pass laws in state legislatures across the country mandating it Gardasil vaccine for girls as young as 11 or 12. It doubled its lobbying budget in Texas and has funneled money through Women in Government, an advocacy group made up of female state legislators around the country.

Details of the order were not immediately available, but the governor's office confirmed to The Associated Press that he was signing the order and he would comment Friday afternoon.

Perry has several ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company's three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, his former chief of staff. His current chief of staff's mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

Toomey was expected to be able to woo conservative legislators concerned about the requirement stepping on parent's rights and about signaling tacit approval of sexual activity to young girls. Delisi, as head of the House public health committee, which likely would have considered legislation filed by a Democratic member, also would have helped ease conservative opposition.

Perry also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.

It wasn't immediately clear how long the order would last and whether the legislation was still necessary. However it could have been difficult to muster support from lawmakers who champion abstinence education and parents' rights.

Perry, a conservative Christian who opposes abortion rights and stem- cell research using embryonic cells, counts on the religious right for his political base.

But he has said the cervical cancer vaccine is no different than the one that protects children against polio.

"If there are diseases in our society that are going to cost us large amounts of money, it just makes good economic sense, not to mention the health and well being of these individuals to have those vaccines available," he said.

Texas allows parents to opt out of inoculations by filing an affidavit stating that he or she objected to the vaccine for religious or philosophical reasons.

Even with such provisions, however, conservative groups say mandates take away parents' rights to be the primary medical decision maker for their children.

The federal government approved Gardasil in June, and a government advisory panel has recommended that all girls get the shots at 11 and 12, before they are likely to be sexually active.

The New Jersey-based drug company could generate billions in sales if Gardasil _ at $360 for the three-shot regimen _ were made mandatory across the country. Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects.

Merck spokeswoman Janet Skidmore would not say how much the company is spending on lobbyists or how much it has donated to Women in Government. Susan Crosby, the group's president, also declined to specify how much the drug company gave.

A top official from Merck's vaccine division sits on Women in Government's business council, and many of the bills around the country have been introduced by members of Women in Government.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    This would scare the out of me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    More required vaccinations, free mercury and poison for everyone!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Let's make it mandatory to inject our kids with something they have no choice over--and all to the benefit of Merck and Co! What a great republican. I want to go out right now and vote republican, even though there are no elections right now! As long as he makes laws where our kid have to be injected with things, in order for his supporters to make millions of dollars-i'm happy!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, if I had girls or was in that age range, they and I would both be getting this vaccine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah, as long as it protects our little girls. The fact that all the profits will go to one company that supports him deserves only a glance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Bravo, Gov. Perry.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why is there ball cancer vaccine? I want that .

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let's make it mandatory to inject our kids with something they have no choice over--and all to the benefit of Merck and Co! What a great republican. I want to go out right now and vote republican, even though there are no elections right now! As long as he makes laws where our kid have to be injected with things, in order for his supporters to make millions of dollars-i'm happy!

I don't give a rats ass if he makes enough money to buy a luxury penthouse in ... but I've heard good things about the vaccine and I'd rather have my daughter protected. And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.

Just like I would rather them not contract polio, hepa is, mumps, measles & tetanus. But I guess I'm just not a super-cool, livin' on the edge kind of girl. God, it sucks to want your kids to be healthy.

Like you don't use any products whatsoever that people ultimately profit by from your purchases.

X 564654632135465.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I don't give a rats ass if he makes enough money to buy a luxury penthouse in ... but I've heard good things about the vaccine and I'd rather have my daughter protected. And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.

Just like I would rather them not contract polio, hepa is, mumps, measles & tetanus. But I guess I'm just not a super-cool, livin' on the edge kind of girl.

Like you don't use any products whatsoever that people ultimately profit by from your purchases.

X 564654632135465.
    What she said.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    This would scare the out of me.

Why?

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We're now required to force something on our daughters (yes, I have one) that we don't know the long-term effects of yet. That's what's scary about it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Was there this kind of reaction when they did the polio vaccine?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I wonder if Perry has to report his kickback amount on his 07 tax return

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Was there this kind of reaction when they did the polio vaccine?

Polio wasn't easily avoidable by abstinence, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost $300+

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Polio wasn't easily avoidable by abstinence, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost $300+
    And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.
    So is S Dub wrong?

I dunno, I think trust the woman on this one.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

But not everyone is as fortunate as you to be able to remain abstinent well into their adult lives....or their entire life for that matter.

And the vaccine won't cost $300 to get.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    But not everyone is as fortunate as you to be able to remain abstinent well into their adult lives....or their entire life for that matter.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm pretty sure a married woman could get HPV...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So is S Dub wrong?

And who pays for WIC and insurance. The company is still getting $300+.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So is S Dub wrong?

If it's mandatory, it won't cost more than your copayment to the doctor...as all required vaccinations are covered as preventative treatment.

And you can get deeply-discounted vaccinations for your children if you don't have insurance at the WIC clinic...they run between $5-$20 each.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And who pays for WIC and insurance. The company is still getting $300+.

My employer & I pay for my insurance, and WIC is government funded.

Who cares if the company gets paid if they put in all of the time & $$ in R&D to provide a vaccination that might save a female's health and/or fertility?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

And the vaccine won't cost $300 to get.

I'm not debating promiscuity when it's a touchy subject for any school. I.E. schools don't give out condoms. I was just responding to TPark's saying that there was no uproar when polio vaccine came out. Polio in it's hayday was a whole lot easier to get than HPV, that you have to agree on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My employer & I pay for my insurance, and WIC is government funded.

Who cares if the company gets paid if they put in all of the time & $$ in R&D to provide a vaccination that might save a female's health and/or fertility?

When the company backs the horse that wrote the bill questions must be raised. And from what I heared most insurances were starting to accept this anyway.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Apparently it's not that difficult to get HPV, either ... considering the staggaring number of cases of it.

Thread Information