Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Keep The Balance IX_Equilibrium's Avatar
    Post Count

Fun question: what will our kids be labelled?
    Confused?

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Because they outperform their white compe ors.
    I was being sarcastic

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    A&M doesn't have that many blacks in the first place. It's not exactly a minority-friendly place, not primarily because of racial hostility, though there is plenty of that, but because A&M is so thoroughly dominated by conservative white culture. A black going to A&M would be like a white guy going to Prarie View -- yeah, there's nothing stopping him from going, but it's going to be an unfamiliar environment.
    I'll have to hunt for the numbers but last year A&M supposedly past UT-Austin in either hispanic or black enrollment figures.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Why are so many of the athletes in major sports at UT black?

Seems like racial discrimination to me.
    not the same thing at all

anyone can join th e corps not anyone can be a d1 player. also what about baseball? i bet theres not more black players at that.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    not the same thing at all

anyone can join th e corps not anyone can be a d1 player. also what about baseball? i bet theres not more black players at that.
    again - i was being sarcastic.

they don't call it caucasian station for nothing. however, diversity and minority enrollment have increased at A&M at least in the 5 years since I've been around the school.

again, can't be faded starts with an idiotic topic (making the predominantly-white corps seem like a representation of the school as a whole, and therefore every aggie is racist). i'm someone who doesn't really like a lot of the corps guys because they're simpleminded down-home boys who act like they're already in the military.

besides, the black students at the school are probably a lot smarter than the guys in the corps (and why would they want to put up with that of waking up at 6 a.m, running around the school, and all the hazing, etc?). i guarantee you a lot of those white boys had to promise they'd go in the corps just to get into A&M because they weren't that smart to begin with.

I'll have to hunt for the numbers but last year A&M supposedly past UT-Austin in either hispanic or black enrollment figures.
    Don't accuse the University of Texas at Austin of being a paragon for cultural pluralism. They just like to think they are.

And as of 2006, they are ahead of A&M in both Hispanic and black enrollment as a percentage of their freshman admissions, though only by a fraction of a percent in each instance.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i'm someone who doesn't really like a lot of the corps guys because they're simpleminded down-home boys who act like they're already in the military.
    sounds like someone who is not racist and complains about cbf making generalizations is making stereotypes himself

btw, if anybody really thinks the student body doesn't like the choir or ex-students don't?...they are way off. everybody i know likes them and they kick ass!

Post Count
    btw, if anybody really thinks the student body doesn't like the choir or ex-students don't?...they are way off. everybody i know likes them and they kick ass!
    If you love them so damn much I'd think you'd at least know how to spell *Corps*

And by the way, you must be pretty old. A&M students on campus these days like the band, and some of the little boot chasers in the girls dorms like chasing the seniors in the Corps, but by and large most people are indifferent or dislike them.

If you love them so damn much I'd think you'd at least know how to spell *Corps*

And by the way, you must be pretty old. A&M students on campus these days like the band, and some of the little boot chasers in the girls dorms like chasing the seniors in the Corps, but by and large most people are indifferent or dislike them.
    i don't know what i was thinking, whoops, the Corps. anyway, i am 26 and you're wrong. people like the Corps...maybe your group of friends don't...but that doesn't mean anything.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i don't know what i was thinking, whoops, the Corps. anyway, i am 26 and you're wrong. people like the Corps...maybe your group of friends don't...but that doesn't mean anything.
    i'm sure everyone loves frat boys too. chuck, porterhouse, ribeye!

Post Count
    Dude, just give up. It's not about my 'circle of friends.' , one of my good buds WAS in the Corps when he was student.

That said, there's a lot of them that complete pricks and think they are the only ones en led to say what happens on the campus, and that the opinions of the non-regs don't matter.

And there's enough of them that everyone in probably every class knows one like that.

That said, there's a lot of them that complete pricks and think they are the only ones en led to say what happens on the campus, and that the opinions of the non-regs don't matter.

And there's enough of them that everyone in probably every class knows one like that.
    1. i had a lot of friends in and out of the corps as well, so what

2. there is a jerk in just about any group

3. you sound ridiculous singling out the corps like this, and for no good reasons i might add

4. there is nothing wrong with the corps, and i seriously don't know anyone anywhere that has a problem with them

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

3. you sound ridiculous singling out the corps like this, and for no good reasons i might add

4. there is nothing wrong with the corps, and i seriously don't know anyone anywhere that has a problem with them
    outside of them attempting to beat fans like pitiful thugs at the end of games they lose at home. that was a total disgrace.

outside of them attempting to beat fans like pitiful thugs at the end of games they lose at home. that was a total disgrace.
    chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some re with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be any different in Austin...
    Last edited by johngateswhiteley; 03-04-2007 at 10:21 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some re with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be in different in Austin...
    exactly how was it deserved? maybe with a Neanderthal outlook on life.

i understand where you are coming from, but at the same time you don't run onto another schools field...that always, ALWAYS, ends in the opposing team's fans getting their ass beat. this is nothing distinct to A&M, and like i said, the same thing would happen in Austin. in fact, i was in Austin for the game previous to this last one and i personally saw 2 Ags get jumped by a bunch of tea-sips...i have no idea who started it and i don't pretend to know.

my main point is people are jumping on the corps for reasons that are not exclusive to them at all...in fact they are present in almost every club, group, school...whatever. its stupid and ridiculous...

Post Count

Here's how my sentiments on the Corps came about:

* going to an A&M game at the Alamodome (the beat down by Nebraska), and having some Corps members ask me and some friends to sit down so they could watch the game. We were in the student section. I was actually a senior in HS at the time, but was with some friends that already were going to school there.

So, you have Corps members, who are the 'Keepers of the Spirit', ing about us all standing up (and keep in mind I wasn't even a student yet ). I guess maybe if we were up 20 at that point instead of down 20, they would have had a different view on things. And when I asked one of them why it was the supposed keepers of the spirit were sitting at a football game, one of the guys told me to off. Yep, *class*.

* Some dumbass Corps kid in one of my classes who tried to tell anyone who would listen after one of our road football wins that the reason the FB team won was because it was a Corps trip and the entire Corps was there. Yep, that's what one us the game, your dumb ass in the stands

* Just seeing and hearing different things and comments made/done by Corps members while a student. No one canonizing story, just observations of stupidity/arrogance.

* I was part of group that totally overhauled the student involvement at basketball games. We had the unfortunate problem of working with several Corps block yell leaders whose response to proposed changes was "if you want us to be a basketball school and the student body to look like those of Duke, Carolina, etc.", then go transfer there.

Yeah, nothing arrogant about that one at all...

Look, I'm sorry you obviously disagree with me on this, but I know a load of Ags, current and former, who dislike the Corps. Keep in mind all of us have friends that were in the Corps. The Corps isn't ALL bad, but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the greatest thing ever at A&M.

Finally, instead of practicing some of the same narrow minded groupthink that your opinion is the only one that matters as I saw out of a lot of Corps members while a student, why don't you respect that others have different viewpoints than your own?

They aren't saints, quit trying to make them out to be.

Remember that dumb aggy corp member who pulled his sword on some SMU guy in the 80's. The Corps remind me of those idiots from Animal House.

Here's how my sentiments on the Corps came about:

* going to an A&M game at the Alamodome (the beat down by Nebraska), and having some Corps members ask me and some friends to sit down so they could watch the game. We were in the student section. I was actually a senior in HS at the time, but was with some friends that already were going to school there.

So, you have Corps members, who are the 'Keepers of the Spirit', ing about us all standing up (and keep in mind I wasn't even a student yet ). I guess maybe if we were up 20 at that point instead of down 20, they would have had a different view on things. And when I asked one of them why it was the supposed keepers of the spirit were sitting at a football game, one of the guys told me to off. Yep, *class*.

* Some dumbass Corps kid in one of my classes who tried to tell anyone who would listen after one of our road football wins that the reason the FB team won was because it was a Corps trip and the entire Corps was there. Yep, that's what one us the game, your dumb ass in the stands

* Just seeing and hearing different things and comments made/done by Corps members while a student. No one canonizing story, just observations of stupidity/arrogance.

* I was part of group that totally overhauled the student involvement at basketball games. We had the unfortunate problem of working with several Corps block yell leaders whose response to proposed changes was "if you want us to be a basketball school and the student body to look like those of Duke, Carolina, etc.", then go transfer there.

Yeah, nothing arrogant about that one at all...

Look, I'm sorry you obviously disagree with me on this, but I know a load of Ags, current and former, who dislike the Corps. Keep in mind all of us have friends that were in the Corps. The Corps isn't ALL bad, but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the greatest thing ever at A&M.

Finally, instead of practicing some of the same narrow minded groupthink that your opinion is the only one that matters as I saw out of a lot of Corps members while a student, why don't you respect that others have different viewpoints than your own?

They aren't saints, quit trying to make them out to be.
    i don't think they are saints and never said they were, and they are not the greatest thing at A&M. you need to read post #42 in this thread, if you haven't already.

...the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i don't think they are saints and never said they were, and they are not the greatest thing at A&M. you need to read post #42 in this thread, if you haven't already.

...the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.
    them's fightin words?

them's fightin words?
    i'd go with accurate.

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some re with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be any different in Austin...
    It was the Nebraska game about 2 years ago when some Husker fans ran onto Kyle Field and a Senior Corp member punched one of them in the face. I was there it was pathetic. I don't have anything against the Corps except for the at ude of many of them that they are better than the "non-regs" which therefore allows them to sleep through class.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i'm not exactly one to stick up for the aggies but you never rush an opponents field, especially dead-dog field. they got what they deserved and most aggies would understand that the same beating would happen on dkr if they were ever to rush it. the only black-eye aggy recieved on that day was the alleged sword pulling incident. everything else was warranted.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i'm not exactly one to stick up for the aggies but you never rush an opponents field, especially dead-dog field. they got what they deserved and most aggies would understand that the same beating would happen on dkr if they were ever to rush it. the only black-eye aggy recieved on that day was the alleged sword pulling incident. everything else was warranted.
    it sure wouldn't happen via a sanctioned rotc group. they should be able to show some restraint, especially if their motto is "forging leaders of character."

Thread Information