Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.
    Honestly, A&M would be great if the Corps didn't exist. Maybe not in the school's past, but if you disbanded the Corps of Cadets today, the university would go on and still be a great one.

i don't think they are saints and never said they were, and they are not the greatest thing at A&M. you need to read post #42 in this thread, if you haven't already.

...the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.
    You went for what, one year?

Honestly, A&M would be great if the Corps didn't exist. Maybe not in the school's past, but if you disbanded the Corps of Cadets today, the university would go on and still be a great one.
    How about, rather than disbanding the Corps, they make ROTC membership mandatory to be in it? That would weed out the inbred rednecks who just join so they can dress in uniforms, haze others, and sneer through their four remaining teeth about how superior they are because grandpappy was in the Corps back in the '50s.

Post Count

Wait, whitely, is he right? You don't even have an Aggie Ring and you're lecturing about the Corps?

yes....so what. i've probably spent more time on campus on gone to more games than anybody on this board...actually, more than anyone i know except my Dad.

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    yes....so what. i've probably spent more time on campus on gone to more games than anybody on this board...actually, more than anyone i know except my Dad.

Doubtful. What does time on campus or number of games attended have anything to do with anything? The Corps and its "Keepers of the Spirit" mentality have led to some big divisions amongst the student body. That's why every year there are about a billion 'Mail Calls' in the Battalion on the subject. I'm not saying they're bad but many students do resent the somewhat negative image that many of the Corps actions have placed on the University as a whole. Those negative aspects (hazing etc.) are the ones that get the most publicity and have overshadowed the positive aspects of the Corps, especially in the eyes of those outside of the university.

Doubtful. What does time on campus or number of games attended have anything to do with anything?
    what? it has everything to do with it. thats what people are referencing...interactions with others on campus and game incidents. and its not doubtful that i have spent more time there...

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    what? it has everything to do with it. thats what people are referencing...interactions with others on campus and game incidents. and its not doubtful that i have spent more time there...

If you've spent more time on campus than someone who has attended the university for 4-5 years than ok. But there is something to being on campus practically everyday for that long of a timespan. You do gain some additional insights that someone who just goes to the games on weekends or has attended the university for only a fraction of that time probably wouldn't have.

Post Count
    I've gotta call bull on that one.

Plus, who gives a if you were on campus for a game when you were 12. Other than daddy holding your hand for the Corps march-in, I feel pretty confident in saying you weren't exposed to much of the Corps other than the gameday pageantry.

And that's not what this whole discussion is about.

Plus, who gives a if you were on campus for a game when you were 12. Other than daddy holding your hand for the Corps march-in, I feel pretty confident in saying you weren't exposed to much of the Corps other than the gameday pageantry.

actually, i started going to the games when i was 8 and my grandmother lived in Bryan...so i was there all the time. i had older friends in the corps when i was in high school and use to take trips up there to see them and spend the night before i went there my freshman year. after my freshman year i went back often to visit my grandmother, see games, and visit my sister. i didn't have a job from 2003 till i moved up here to Montana...so i was in college station...often. my parents bought my sister a house there during her last two years so it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time...

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

Exactly. The public perception of the Corps (those outside of A&M) has nothing to do with how many games have been attended or how much time was spent on campus. But if you're gonna call yourself more of an expert over people who actually graduated from the university, than that's garbage.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    And there is a difference between being on campus everyday as part of the student body and just being in B/CS a lot.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I'm done.

Post Count
    actually, i started going to the games when i was 8 and my grandmother lived in Bryan...so i was there all the time. i had older friends in the corps when i was in high school and use to take trips up there to see them and spend the night before i went there my freshman year. after my freshman year i went back often to visit my grandmother, see games, and visit my sister. i didn't have a job from 2003 till i moved up here to Montana...so i was in college station...often. my parents bought my sister a house there during her last two years so it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time...

Oh, well hey, I'm sure you experienced the Corps in all its glory at the age of 8

i had older friends in the corps
    So the truth comes out. They probably let you read their Playboys when you were in HS, so you thought the Corps was the greatest ever.

it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time
    So, to recap, you weren't interacting with the Corps in say, leadership positions, at leadership camps, in classes, out at bars, parties, etc. So you pretty much have no ing ground to stand on. Glad we cleared that up.

And there is a difference between being on campus everyday as part of the student body and just being in B/CS a lot.
    yes and no. what i am saying...is all the time i have spent there, and no i was not holding my dad's hand when i was 12, i have never had or seen one bad experience with the corps. they keep traditions alive and the student body is lucky to still have them. i think you guys are nuts.

furthermore, going to games and spending time at the campus and in the city is extremely relevant...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I don't know what it is but ahf is clearly a better aggy, unless he goes to ucla one day!

So, to recap, you weren't interacting with the Corps in classes, out at bars, parties, etc. So you pretty much have no ing ground to stand on. Glad we cleared that up.
    umm, yeah i was.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    yes and no. what i am saying...is all the time i have spent there, and no i was not holding my dad's hand when i was 12, i have never had or seen one bad experience with the corps. they keep traditions alive and the student body is lucky to still have them. i think you guys are nuts.

furthermore, going to games and spending time at the campus and in the city is extremely relevant...
    Since this has now become a measuring contest...being a member of the student body for 4+ years is even more relevant. Experiencing the day to day sentiments amongst the student body about the Corps is more relevant. Having to deal with arrogant Corps members who think they can do and say whatever the they want in class is more relevant. I think many aggie grads, like myself, resent the fact that the Corps public perception influences the perception of non-reg aggies. Because the Corps gets in the news about hazing or some other stupid bull that image trickles down onto everyone else who has an aggie ring.

Since this has now become a measuring contest...being a member of the student body for 4+ years is even more relevant. Experiencing the day to day sentiments amongst the student body about the Corps is more relevant. Having to deal with arrogant Corps members who think they can do and say whatever the they want in class is more relevant. I think many aggie grads, like myself, resent the fact that the Corps public perception influences the perception of non-reg aggies. Because the Corps gets in the news about hazing or some other stupid bull that image trickles down onto everyone else who has an aggie ring.
    if you don't think i have experienced A&M just as much if i had graduated there...i think you're wrong. that being said, nobody, still, has said anything that is distinct to the corps. this stuff y'all keep posting is prevalent in just about any club or group.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    if you don't think i have experienced A&M just as much if i had graduated there...i think you're wrong. that being said, nobody, still, has said anything that is distinct to the corps. this stuff y'all keep posting is prevalent in just about any club or group.
    Except the Corps is by far the most visible organization at A&M and therefore carries with it a large amount of responsibility when it comes to the public perception of the university.

Except the Corps is by far the most visible organization at A&M and therefore carries with it a large amount of responsibility when it comes to the public perception of the university.
    true. however, the positives they bring to A&M far outweigh the negative situations that occur. imo, its not even close...

Post Count
    You haven't, and you are.

Distinct to the Corps? Oh, you mean like when the entire student body and all the fans at the Oklahoma State right after 9/11 happened deck out all of Kyle Field in red, white, and blue. Even the OSU fans showing up on gameday bought the appropriate shirt. The only 2000 people in the stadium without red, white, and blue on? The Corps of Cadets.

Is that unique enough?

Or howabout yell leader candidates remarking that they were the only ones worthy of leading the student body because of all the they had to go through as fish (give me a ing break!).

Or again, howabout the tools who thought that A&M won road games because the Corps showed up Yep, non-regs said that kind of stupid *all* the time.

Howabout going to leadership conferences and hearing Corps of Cadets leadership there mocking the speakers because "this isn't real leadership, it's bull ." Yep, the Corps of Cadets are 110% greatness.

And so what if other people in other groups have made some of the same comments? The Corps likes to hold itself to a higher standard and tell everyone it's better, so why shouldn't we 'accommodate' them and hold them to a higher standard?

Eh, why the am I bothering anyway? You're as entrenched about this as you are about Marisa Miller over on the Club. It's fitting that you defend the Corps to the hilt, your groupthink fits in great with a lot of the I saw and heard out of those guys.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    maybe he's just into spanking. but hey, i lived in germany when i was 5-7 on the army base and i've always been tuned into the german way of thought.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You haven't, and you are.

Distinct to the Corps? Oh, you mean like when the entire student body and all the fans at the Oklahoma State right after 9/11 happened deck out all of Kyle Field in red, white, and blue. Even the OSU fans showing up on gameday bought the appropriate shirt. The only 2000 people in the stadium without red, white, and blue on? The Corps of Cadets.

Is that unique enough?

Or howabout yell leader candidates remarking that they were the only ones worthy of leading the student body because of all the they had to go through as fish (give me a ing break!).

Or again, howabout the tools who thought that A&M won road games because the Corps showed up Yep, non-regs said that kind of stupid *all* the time.

Howabout going to leadership conferences and hearing Corps of Cadets leadership there mocking the speakers because "this isn't real leadership, it's bull ." Yep, the Corps of Cadets are 110% greatness.

And so what if other people in other groups have made some of the same comments? The Corps likes to hold itself to a higher standard and tell everyone it's better, so why shouldn't we 'accommodate' them and hold them to a higher standard?

Eh, why the am I bothering anyway? You're as entrenched about this as you are about Marisa Miller over on the Club. It's fitting that you defend the Corps to the hilt, your groupthink fits in great with a lot of the I saw and heard out of those guys.
    you forgot the nut-grabbing thing they do to show their burning desire to beat you-know-who.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

3 more years!!!

Thread Information