Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    you forgot the nut-grabbing thing they do to show their burning desire to beat you-know-who.
    The list could go on forever. He just cant believe that many in the A&M student body and alumni like myself dislike the Corps. The "Keepers of the Spirit" do more to segregate the student body than any other organization on campus.

actually, i started going to the games when i was 8 and my grandmother lived in Bryan...so i was there all the time. i had older friends in the corps when i was in high school and use to take trips up there to see them and spend the night before i went there my freshman year. after my freshman year i went back often to visit my grandmother, see games, and visit my sister. i didn't have a job from 2003 till i moved up here to Montana...so i was in college station...often. my parents bought my sister a house there during her last two years so it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time...
    Sure, going to grandma's house, eating cookies, and sucking your thumb gives you an insight into on-campus life that people who actually lived on campus just cannot understand.

I bet since you went to USC for a semester and visited Disneyland once, you are the pre-eminent expert on campus life there too.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Sure, going to grandma's house, eating cookies, and sucking your thumb gives you an insight into on-campus life that people who actually lived on campus just cannot understand.

I bet since you went to USC for a semester and visited Disneyland once, you are the pre-eminent expert on campus life there too.
    I don't know what it but JGW got ruined!

My Team
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Post Count

You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life. It sucks, everyone else who has social skills gets an apartment after the first year.

Room and Board blow chunks, flight weeks are weak, countless fire alarm drills, free pizza and soda to join a whacko group, and re ed activities from the baptist youth. ANd the pep rally's on friday homecoming games are a waste of time.

You haven't, and you are.

Distinct to the Corps? Oh, you mean like when the entire student body and all the fans at the Oklahoma State right after 9/11 happened deck out all of Kyle Field in red, white, and blue. Even the OSU fans showing up on gameday bought the appropriate shirt. The only 2000 people in the stadium without red, white, and blue on? The Corps of Cadets.

Is that unique enough?

Or howabout yell leader candidates remarking that they were the only ones worthy of leading the student body because of all the they had to go through as fish (give me a ing break!).

Or again, howabout the tools who thought that A&M won road games because the Corps showed up Yep, non-regs said that kind of stupid *all* the time.

Howabout going to leadership conferences and hearing Corps of Cadets leadership there mocking the speakers because "this isn't real leadership, it's bull ." Yep, the Corps of Cadets are 110% greatness.

And so what if other people in other groups have made some of the same comments? The Corps likes to hold itself to a higher standard and tell everyone it's better, so why shouldn't we 'accommodate' them and hold them to a higher standard?

Eh, why the am I bothering anyway? You're as entrenched about this as you are about Marisa Miller over on the Club. It's fitting that you defend the Corps to the hilt, your groupthink fits in great with a lot of the I saw and heard out of those guys.
    you sound like a whiny baby..."waaa the corps said this, waaa the corps said that." geez, give it a rest already. so you didn't like or had disagreements with some of the corps members. so what?...that doesn't really mean anything.

surely you can see how the corps and A&M are intertwined?...how responsible the corps is in what A&M is today and how important it will continue to be in the future.

wait, why do i bother?

You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life.
    no kidding. but they also don't know how involved i have been before and after that...oh well. it doesn't matter.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I hate the Corps

There are too many reasons to list:

Girls: "Yell leaders are sooooo cute!" (Actually, they're ugly, unathletic, ignorant bags).

Only thing I enjoy is the band and they're the dorks that get ridiculed in the Corps anyways.

Corps guys don't think they have to be smart - just the fact that they were in the Corps will get them a job.

Oh, and don't get me started on the boot-chasing s on that campus.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life. It sucks, everyone else who has social skills gets an apartment after the first year.

Room and Board blow chunks, flight weeks are weak, countless fire alarm drills, free pizza and soda to join a whacko group, and re ed activities from the baptist youth. ANd the pep rally's on friday homecoming games are a waste of time.
    We weren't saying you had to live on campus for 4 years. Nobody does that. But attending a university for 4 years and being a part of the student body does lend itself to develop more complex perspectives about on campus issues than someone who just went there for a year and visited on weekends. That was it. JGW had his experiences and that's great, but it's different when you go to class day in and day out and see the issues first hand on a consistent basis. I think the issues many current and former students have with the Corps come from a combination of things that occured throughout their collegiate careers. For him to discredit them when he wasn't even a graduate of the university didn't make sense. He's en led to his opinion and his past experiences go in line with that opinion. On the other hand, the past experiences of the graduates on this board also lend themselves to the particular opinion that was expressed.

JGW had his experiences and that's great, but it's different when you go to class day in and day out and see the issues first hand on a consistent basis. I think the issues many current and former students have with the Corps come from a combination of things that occured throughout their collegiate careers.
    i didn't go to class day in and day out? some of you act like i didn't have class with members of the corps or never spent any time with them at bars or outside of class...that couldn't be further from the truth.

and to say that i went there for a year and then was there on weekends is....not only incorrect but about 10% of the truth.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    i didn't go to class day in and day out? some of you act like i didn't have class with members of the corps or never spent any time with them at bars or outside of class...that couldn't be further from the truth.

and to say that i went there for a year and then was there on weekends is....not only incorrect but about 10% of the truth.
    I'm sorry about the generalization. The point I was making was that 4 years of constant on campus experience as a student gives a different perspective than what you experienced. Quit getting so defensive about it.

I'm sorry about the generalization. The point I was making was that 4 years of constant on campus experience as a student gives a different perspective than what you experienced. Quit getting so defensive about it.
    it has nothing to do with being defensive. it has to do with:

1. me not fully describing my experiences and time there, though i have no desire to

2. people acting like what i described was a minimal experience, when it clearly was not

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    In conclusion, the Corps sucks.

humorous?...yes. incorrect?...yes. but, fair enough.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I thought it captured the Spirit of non-reg students worldwide fairly accurately...

I hate the Corps

There are too many reasons to list:

Girls: "Yell leaders are sooooo cute!" (Actually, they're ugly, unathletic, ignorant bags).

Only thing I enjoy is the band and they're the dorks that get ridiculed in the Corps anyways.

Corps guys don't think they have to be smart - just the fact that they were in the Corps will get them a job.

Oh, and don't get me started on the boot-chasing s on that campus.
    Well, East Texas isn't all male, and being that A&M students are, after all, college age, you see the brief blossoming of the redneck females in the student body. That in part explains the fawning over the chinless inbreeds in the Corps -- they're pretty, but irrevocably stupid. Believe me, you don't want those girls. In five years, they're going to be Britney Spears without the money.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    you sound like a whiny baby..."waaa the corps said this, waaa the corps said that." geez, give it a rest already. so you didn't like or had disagreements with some of the corps members. so what?...that doesn't really mean anything.

surely you can see how the corps and A&M are intertwined?...how responsible the corps is in what A&M is today and how important it will continue to be in the future.
    Whiny baby? I'm not the one with a 56 page hottie thread shooting down every girl not named Marisa

As to my view not meaning anything... ehhhhhhhh, wrong. It's representative of the non-reg population at A&M. I'm sorry this is lost on you. There's over 43,000 students a year at A&M, and most couldn't give two s about about the Corps.

Like I said, the Corps gave us a lot of our history and traditions. At the same time, you could disband the Corps tomorrow and the rest of the student body at A&M wouldn't miss a beat in carrying on its traditions.

wait, why do i bother?
    That's the same thing we say about your close minded ass.

, you've even managed to turn me off on Marisa Miller with all your condescending babble in the Club.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    It's true the Corps is 96% s...honest. All their stupid isnt needed anymore. Keep the band and get rid of the rest, that way people all over campus don't have to deal with their yelling in the morning and their sweaty obnoxious asses in class throughout the day.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Did anyone notice how the lone minority was strategically positioned at the forefront of the camera surrounded by caucasians when the camera showed the Core?

Post Count
    How did I miss this thread the first time around.

Surely though, you're not going to tell me that Longhorn is boasting about the 3% African-American enrollment at UT, where the 1969 team is still spoken of in hushed tones.

Did anyone notice how the lone minority was strategically positioned at the forefront of the camera surrounded by caucasians when the camera showed the Core?
    ...the corps rules.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    How did I miss this thread the first time around.

Surely though, you're not going to tell me that Longhorn is boasting about the 3% African-American enrollment at UT, where the 1969 team is still spoken of in hushed tones.
    We're at 4.2%, but that's still pretty ty. We've got a lot of Asian-Americans though.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    I'm still befuddled by the notion that someone who attended a school for one year could claim to have a greater understanding of the sentiments on campus than those who attended that school for 4 or more years.

It's like me saying that I have some idea about what's going on at Harvard because I had a friend who went to school there and spend some time in Cambridge.

I'm still befuddled by the notion that someone who attended a school for one year could claim to have a greater understanding of the sentiments on campus than those who attended that school for 4 or more years.

It's like me saying that I have some idea about what's going on at Harvard because I had a friend who went to school there and spend some time in Cambridge.
    actually, its not at all like that.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    actually, its not at all like that.
    You're right; my example doesn't include my brother having a house in Cambridge while attending Harvard.

You're right; my example doesn't include my brother having a house in Cambridge while attending Harvard.
    and?

Thread Information