Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Something I have noticed after going to several ut-a&m games, and watching many more:

Why don't blacks join the corps? Since its such a huge part of the A&M tradition surely it would make sense that they would be encouraged and motivated to join up with such a prestigious group of faux soldiers?

I don't know?

I thought this was an overlook, so I went back and looked at my pictures from the Nebraska victory at Kyle Field this year. Sure enough, you're damn right.

Something I have noticed after going to several ut-a&m games, and watching many more:

Why don't blacks join the corps? Since its such a huge part of the A&M tradition surely it would make sense that they would be encouraged and motivated to join up with such a prestigious group of faux soldiers?

I don't know?
    they do.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    havent seen much down that road

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I remember watching the UT-A&M game at Kyle Field, buncha chodes holding roses, buncha UT fans being flat out class-less, but one thing this UT fan remembers (even though I was in the nose bleeds) was that during the half time "show" there were no blacks at all marching back and forth with trumpets.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    thats the band jaxson

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    so the band dresses up like faux militarymen or texas a&m is a straight up military school and i did not realize it and am a complete dork?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    im, uh, genius
    so get off my penis

wtf? like any other ROTC program they wear a military type uniform, and a lot of them actually serve in the military.

there are some. anyone can join and nobady discourages any race from joining.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    im a little .
    are you saying there are alot or not alot of black people in teh corps. bc i dont consider two out of thousands to be alot.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    So black people don't like the military? The corps is also a very small percentage of the overall student body at A&M

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    I remember watching the UT-A&M game at Kyle Field, buncha chodes holding roses, buncha UT fans being flat out class-less, but one thing this UT fan remembers (even though I was in the nose bleeds) was that during the half time "show" there were no blacks at all marching back and forth with trumpets.
    That's the Aggie Band dumbass.

There's actually a fairly decent number of minorities (blacks and hispanics) in the Corps. Can't speak to the band not having any though.

Nice attempt at a racist slam though, CBF.

My Team
    UCLA Bruins
    Post Count
    im a little .
    are you saying there are alot or not alot of black people in teh corps. bc i dont consider two out of thousands to be alot.
    Umm... there's like 8 people on the feature page and three of them are black. I don't know the percentages of the whole corps. I was just showing you that there's black people.

A&M doesn't have that many blacks in the first place. It's not exactly a minority-friendly place, not primarily because of racial hostility, though there is plenty of that, but because A&M is so thoroughly dominated by conservative white culture. A black going to A&M would be like a white guy going to Prarie View -- yeah, there's nothing stopping him from going, but it's going to be an unfamiliar environment.

And the Corps is an order of magnitude more intense than the general A&M experience. It is half ROTC program, half redneck fraternity. But sometimes ambition and patriotism cause people to step out of their comfort zone, so yes, you will see minorities in the Corps, though by percentage it is not so much.
    Last edited by Extra Stout; 03-02-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Why are so many of the athletes in major sports at UT black?

Seems like racial discrimination to me.

Why are so many of the athletes in major sports at UT black?
    Because they outperform their white compe ors.

Keep The Balance IX_Equilibrium's Avatar
    Post Count
    Maybe it's because black people don't want to join?

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    I there are no African Americans, just like there are no Mexican American, no German Americans, no Korean Americans, no Cuabn Americans, etc.

African American is an offnsive term. They are Americans.

Post Count
    I there are no African Americans, just like there are no Mexican American, no German Americans, no Korean Americans, no Cuabn Americans, etc.

African American is an offnsive term. They are Americans.
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, the Corps is fairly much a Good Ole Boy network. It might have gotten better lately, but I'd say it's an environment that's not the most comfortable to minorities. Not saying that's anywhere close to universal.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, the Corps is fairly much a Good Ole Boy network. It might have gotten better lately, but I'd say it's an environment that's not the most comfortable to minorities. Not saying that's anywhere close to universal.
    What country does your ancestors come from?

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    There aren't many black people at A&M and since the corp isn't a large population of the total student body, it would make sense that there aren't more than 5 or 6 in that organization. Plus if I was black I would be scared to join said corp.

p.s. I did have 2 black corp members in one of my classes, so they definitely do exist.

A&M doesn't have that many blacks in the first place. It's not exactly a minority-friendly place, not primarily because of racial hostility, though there is plenty of that, but because A&M is so thoroughly dominated by conservative white culture. A black going to A&M would be like a white guy going to Prarie View -- yeah, there's nothing stopping him from going, but it's going to be an unfamiliar environment.

And the Corps is an order of magnitude more intense than the general A&M experience. It is half ROTC program, half redneck fraternity. But sometimes ambition and patriotism cause people to step out of their comfort zone, so yes, you will see minorities in the Corps, though by percentage it is not so much.
    From my limited experience with A&M culture - you seem to have hit the nail on the head.

Post Count
    What country does your ancestors come from?
    Germany, Belgium, and Poland.

My wife, however, is African American.

Fun question: what will our kids be labelled?

Thread Information