Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    If Kizsla saw this thread he would be laughing.

When there are writers I don't like and know they like to piss me off, I don't read them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My comments above are in bold. This guy is an embarrassment to the newspaper which employs him. I don't mind anti-Spurs takes, but his writing is so simplistic and hollow. His takes are overly general and emotionally (or alcohol) charged. I can't believe this idiot is employed, seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need a link to this article.

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need a link to this article.
    Why? So you can either:

a.) respond to the to let him know he's accomplished his objective, which is to get arise out of you and lets him know people are actually reading his crap.

or

b.) post the link somewhere else so the article gets tons of hits that both let him know he's getting a rise out of people, and that he can show his boss the number of hits he gets, which would give him incentive to write even more stupid and give him a little more job security. Hey! Maybe even our writers will respond, too! Even better for him!

Dude, ignore him. Why is this such a difficult concept?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My comments above are in bold. This guy is an embarrassment to the newspaper which employs him. I don't mind anti-Spurs takes, but his writing is so simplistic and hollow. His takes are overly general and emotionally (or alcohol) charged. I can't believe this idiot is employed, seriously.
    Where i live in NY this is so common to have articles biased and dumb like this. I must read 5 articles a week where writers are coming right out and saying that A-Rod is a BUM and needs to go. I agree with you about him being a little emotional aabout this and really coming off like a Nugget fan but their media wants their 15 min a fame. Once Denver is gone we can all laugh at the crap they wrote after game 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where i live in NY this is so common to have articles biased and dumb like this. I must read 5 articles a week where writers are coming right out and saying that A-Rod is a BUM and needs to go.
    I think it's different when you're writing about the home team.

You have some leeway to write dumb criticisms about them, because of the assumption is that you are expressing frustrations and really want them to do better. (Of course, we know that's not always true and sometimes people have pathological hatred of players on their own team.)

When you write about somebody else's team as a professional writer, you're obligated to display some intelligence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? So you can either:

a.) respond to the to let him know he's accomplished his objective, which is to get arise out of you and lets him know people are actually reading his crap.

or

b.) post the link somewhere else so the article gets tons of hits that both let him know he's getting a rise out of people, and that he can show his boss the number of hits he gets, which would give him incentive to write even more stupid and give him a little more job security. Hey! Maybe even our writers will respond, too! Even better for him!

Dude, ignore him. Why is this such a difficult concept?
    Oh, I'm not going to waste my time writing to him nor am I going to post the article. But I would like to read some other stuff. Its entertaining!

And I don't recall judging whether this or any other concept related to anything I've said or read on this forum was difficult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's different when you're writing about the home team.

You have some leeway to write dumb criticisms about them, because of the assumption is that you are expressing frustrations and really want them to do better. (Of course, we know that's not always true and sometimes people have pathological hatred of players on their own team.)

When you write about somebody else's team as a professional writer, you're obligated to display some intelligence.
    I agree but this is what these writers do when they smell blood in the water. Go for the throat and make wild assumptions. People are talking about this article which was his intent.

Believe.
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Wait untill the Spurs take their first game of the series. If I know Kiszla he's going to do a complete 180 and proclaim a sleeping giant was awoken and proceed to trash the Nuggets. He's an ass.

Dos Equis
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you write such a silly article like this you are just waiting for Karma to slap you in the ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Find out what it is in life that you don't well....and then don't do that thing."

-The Most Interesting Man In The World

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sound like guys bragging about getting laid when the chick they were w/ was faced.
    and fat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Kizzla =

The Wheel Is Turning... shelshor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mark Kiszla's FishWrap of the day

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5753193

Votives with a motive
    By Mark Kiszla
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 04/26/2007 01:37:47 AM MDT

It was time for breakfast. Stomachs growled in hunger. Or was that the sound of indigestion from worried Spurs fans? Deep in the heart of Texas, basketball was the hot topic on everybody's plate.

"Here's the deal," Carlos Villarreal, the friendly manager at San Antonio's El Mirador restaurant, told me Wednesday morning. "You guys from Denver let the Spurs win one more year, then you can take over. Our team is old. All we want is one more championship run."

The old, gray San Antonio Spurs ain't what they used to be. And everybody, including Denver, knows it.

Despite the fact San Antonio earned a 97-88 victory in an NBA playoff game the home team desperately needed, it was the Nuggets who were singing in the shower Wednesday night, because Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson have spied the distress in the eyes of the Spurs.

"They know they're in for a battle," Iverson said after the game was done. "They better know."

Oh, the Spurs know, all right. Anyone with an IQ above the average daily humidity reading in Texas knows.

All of San Antonio realizes the beloved hometown team is going to need all the help it can get to survive the Nuggets in this best-of-seven series.

"We're scared," Villarreal had explained at the breakfast table. Then, he added something truly revealing: "I'm going to light some candles."

Say what?

The Spurs really must be religion in San Antonio. A true fan is not hesitant to stop by church and fire up a votive candle on the way to the arena.

What did we learn from Game 2? Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Of course, having Spurs star Tim Duncan on your side doesn't hurt, either.

Duncan scored 22 points, and San Antonio hung on as a fourth-quarter rally by the Nuggets fell short. There was a time, back when the Spurs were a legitimate championship contender, when they could scare Denver. No more.

"We didn't back down," Nuggets coach George Karl said.

No directions are required to assemble the key components of this Denver loss, which tied the best-of- seven series at a victory for each team.

The Spurs brought the intensity.

The Nuggets supplied the bricks.

Denver could not shoot straight until it was too late, with Anthony and Iverson missing 29 shots between them. The Nuggets nearly wiped out a 17-point San Antonio lead in the fourth period, only to watch in disbelief when center Marcus Camby flubbed a dunk that could have cut the visitors' deficit to four points in the game's final two minutes.

So why were the Nuggets singing without a care in the shower?

"Missing the shots I can make with my eyes closed, I just feel good about that going into the next game, because I know I'm not going to miss those shots," Iverson said.

"How the heck do you know?" said Anthony, happily needling his teammate.

"It's a given," said Iverson, the league MVP in 2001. "I got an 11-year history of this."

"Oooh," Anthony sang, in a neo-soul voice that could've make D'Angelo cry.

Denver will probably have to win another game in Texas to eliminate the Spurs, and that won't be easy.

But the Nuggets are loose.

It's the Spurs, trying to cling to fading glory, unable to run with the more athletic Denver team, who have tense lines etched on their faces, knowing they must scratch and claw and hope for divine intervention to survive.

If you ever travel to San Antonio, make sure to stop by El Mirador, where if you have not had the chilaquiles for breakfast, you have not lived.

And talk basketball with Villarreal, a restaurant manager who once dreamed of being an NBA referee. He knows the score.

Between sips of coffee, I had asked Villarreal how many votive candles he would need to light to save his Spurs in Game 2.

"Only 10. We are talking about Denver here," he said with a laugh. "If we were playing Dallas, I might need to ask the priest to open another room at the church."

This figures to be a long series. I don't pretend to know whom God is rooting for, but youth and talent is on the side of the Nuggets.

Better stock up on candles and prayers, San Antonio.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or [email protected].

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha - AI is older than just about everyone on the Spurs not named Horry. And he's talking about youth. It's going to be a dogfight, but I still see the Spurs winning in 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Just absolute, abject idiocy.

A team with 3 all-stars and Tim Duncan as it's post-player needs candles to beat an inexperienced team like the Nuggets?

It's almost not worth responding to, except this kind of moronicism is usually reserved for internet trolls.

I hope we destroy the Nuggets in Game 3. I want to see what Kiszla writes at that point.

But if we do, it will be on the shoulders of Duncan, not the candles of a single restaurant owner who's scared because we've lost one playoff game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, I'm done reading anything from this guy. Nothing but trash, and I have better things to do than read trash

Just agree, and shut up! celldweller's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Better stock up on candles and prayers, San Antonio"

S-T-U-P-I-D article from a stupid sports writer!

Our fishing smilie already comes in Denver Blue!
    Last edited by celldweller; 04-26-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an annoying sportswriter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this guy talking about players singing in the shower ... don't drop your bar of soap if he's around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is one of the worst writers I have ever read. I dont know how this guy has a yob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey if it's that easy put me down for a couple of crates!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this guy talking about players singing in the shower ... don't drop your bar of soap if he's around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a

Thread Information