My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far Tony Parker has been off. It's no secret. Sure he may start picking it up very soon and start playing great basketball here and there. The team won't be able to survive the season without him playing good basketball on many nights, including efficient and high scoring outputs blended in with solid PG play.

However, after 10 games I still do not understand what is taking him so long to get going? I could see if he was racking up a lot of assists and just was a bit off on his shot, but that is not really the case. His assist/TO ratio could be better considering his low scoring efficiency. He doesn't really look comfortable at all beyond the arc or at the FT line. He has had some reasonable spurts, but he still hasn't really broken in and had an "A" type of game yet. I appreciate his efforts in trying to be a leader and trying to go by what Pop tells him to do, but I think at some point he has to become more assertive and effective in his scoring. If the offense is NOT conducive to him racking up assists than Tony has to get back to simply scoring the basketball. That includes hitting 3pters, getting to the line, and converting. Not shooting 7-14, but not making a three or getting to the line while commiting 5 turnovers. The pure shooting FG% is misleading if Parker is not getting to the line or hitting his 3pt shot.

I think eventually he will kick it up a notch, but I stil wonder why he hasn't started already. Is it Pop's offense? Is it Parker just off to a poor start? What is the deal?

He showed so much promise in his 2002-03 season. I beleive he still has that specialness in him, but I am kind of suprised right now that he hasn't done better. At some point he has to become the second scorer or become at least a 15-16ppg scorer along with Manu.

Who knows what Manu will score, maybe his scoring will take a hit when Parker starts filling it up, but I would prefer both of them score, and I would prefer Parker to start scoring the ball more efficiently if Manu starts to settle into a more balanced game when his shooting starts to cool off.

Right now I don't know what to expect from Parker and Manu. Manu has scored efficiently, but who knows if he can keep it up? Who knows if Parker and Manu will both be able to score efficiently and effectively for the entire season at the same time? But I think either Pop has let them get comfortable in the offense, or look for 4 pure shooters who can play defense, hit threes, and not turn the ball over cause it likely will yield a similiar result to what the Spurs may accomplish anyway.

I want Parker to start scoring the basketball again, and I want Manu to help out as well. The team needs them both to be playing good basketball. Tim Duncan needs them. The team needs them.

What do you guys expect from Parker over the next 72 games? I expect him to start scoring around 16-17ppg from here on out. Hopefully Manu can get around 15-16ppg and limit his turnovers as well. What do you guys expect? What do you think is needed from Parker for the team to become the best team in the NBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tp and duncan started slow last year as trhe spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far Tony Parker has been off. It's no secret. Sure he may start picking it up very soon and start playing great basketball here and there. The team won't be able to survive the season without him playing good basketball on many nights, including efficient and high scoring outputs blended in with solid PG play.

However, after 10 games I still do not understand what is taking him so long to get going? I could see if he was racking up a lot of assists and just was a bit off on his shot. But he doesn't really look comfortable at all beyond the arc or at the FT line. He has had some reasonable spurts, but he still hasn't really broken in and had an "A" type of game yet. I appreciate his efforts in trying to be a leader and trying to go by what Pop tells him to do, but I think at some point he has to become more assertive and effective in his scoring. If the offense is conducive to him racking up assists than Tony has to get back to simply scoring the basketball. That includes hitting 3pters, getting to the line, and converting. Not shooting 7-14, but not making a three or getting to the line while commiting 5 turnovers. The pure shooting FG% is misleading if Parker is not getting to the line or hitting his 3pt shot.

I think eventually he will kick it up a notch, but I stil wonder why he hasn't started already. Is it Pop's offense? Is it Parker just off to a poor start? What is the deal?

He showed so much promise in his 2002-03 season. I beleive he still has that specialness in him, but I am kind of suprised right now that he hasn't done better. At some point he has to become the second scorer or become at least a 15-16ppg scorer along with Manu.

Who knows what Manu will score, maybe his scoring will take a hit when Parker starts filling it up, but I would prefer both of them score, and I would prefer Parker to start scoring the ball more efficiently if Manu starts to settle into a more balanced game when his shooting starts to cool off.

Right now I don't know what to expect from Parker and Manu. Manu has scored efficiently, but who knows if he can keep it up? Who knows if Parker and Manu will both be able to score efficiently and effectively for the entire season at the same time? But I think either Pop has let them get comfortable in the offense, or look for 4 pure shooters who can play defense, hit threes, and not turn the ball over cause it likely will yield a similiar result to what the Spurs may accomplish anyway.

I want Parker to start scoring the basketball again, and I want Manu to help out as well. The team needs them both to be playing good basketball. Tim Duncan needs them. The team needs them.

What do you guys expect from Parker over the next 72 games? I expect him to start scoring around 16-17ppg from here on out. Hopefully Manu can get around 15-16ppg and limit his turnovers as well. What do you guys expect? What do you think is needed from Parker for the team to become the best team in the NBA?
    as long as he peaks in feb, march and april, nothing else matters. remember, he's started off slow the last 2 years he will probibly av around 14. as for manu, he's playing i think somewhat consistantly, he's not going to put up 20+ every night, but he's got a good shot of av. 15 or 16 a game this year. all in all, 1 word my freind, patience.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "tp and duncan started slow last year as trhe spurs"

Well, yes, when you're hurt and sitting on the bench in Nov, starting is pretty damn slow. Then got better, actually got in shape, and went on a 13-game win streak in Dec.

The Tony I see is not Tony I've seen the last two years. I also wonder WTF is going on? I note that the paychecks have no trouble starting the season at full speed.
    Last edited by boutons; 11-22-2004 at 06:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker needs to step it up. I've been easy on him so far but it's really time that he breaks out of this slump. The contract can only be an excuse for so long.

Getting rolled by Rafer Alston isn't what a potential future all-star should ever let happen to them.

Parker's time is now ... and he needs to start playing like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I note that the paychecks have no trouble starting the season at full speed.

WORD...

Hell Yea I'm A Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I note that the paychecks have no trouble starting the season at full speed.
    Which paychecks are you talking about remember he only makes 1.5M this season. The big checks dont come till next year

I'll be concerned if Tony is still playing like this at the end of the season
    Last edited by GoSpurs21; 11-22-2004 at 02:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which paychecks are you talking about remember he only makes 1.5M this season. The big checks dont come till next year

Come on GoSpurs21... Why let facts get in the way of a good post?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only 1.5 million...

poor kid...

no wonder he is having such a slow start...he's probably starving and having to take the bus to work.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO its not that the Spurs are playing spectacular ball to start the season, the just have a weaker schedule out of the gates than in fast years. Last year didn't they play teams like the Lakers, Kings, and Wolves with the first month of the season? The fact that things have been so close against teams like Philly and Boston should be pretty big red flags. I'm thrilled that their record is as good as it is but they've dodged some bullets so far. Slows starts are nothing new for any of the Spurs, and history has proven that they certainly aren't the end of the world.

Thread Information