Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The suspensions are to send one message to players, "YOU DO NOT GO INTO THE STANDS, PERIOD". Stern is saying I'm sending this message so there is no misunderstanding what the consequences will be if you're as stupid as Artest or Jackson. Further if a fan is stupid enough to come on the floor you let security handle it or at most use the force necessary to deal with the situation, You don't whale on somebody like O'Neal did. Stern is probqably thanking God O'Neal didn't kill that guy or put him in a coma.

Beyond that the issues of attendance and popularity are mul ude and not related. Of course high dollar bystander fans feeling like they risk being injured by 6'8" 240 lb enraged professional ahtletes if they sit in $200 - 300 seats doesn't help with marketing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is fair to say that the "customer" does and should drive any standard.

I don't see the need to draw the conclusion you seem to be drawing from that statement.

I'd agree with you if the author had not chosen to couch his argument as this situation being a case of white customers imposing a standard upon black players which the black players better heed if they want to continue to enjoy the white money. The implication is that it is an unnatural standard to expect the black players to heed.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't act like trash. respect yourself. respect the game. whatever color you are. period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't act like trash. respect yourself. respect the game. whatever color you are. period.
    So is that a "white" standard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you have to ask yourself is why did that fan throw the beer on Artest, why then did a riot erupt shortly thereafter fans vs players. Why during the Olympics did you see Americans openly rooting against the American team?

Theres a feeling of resentment these days vs athletes, especially black athletes. They make too much money, they talk too much trash, they're not thankful enough for what they have, they are too y, they are too emersed in hip hop culture, they are thugs, they are gangstas. Just ask Tpark, he'll tell you.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree with you if the author had not chosen to couch his argument as this situation being a case of white customers imposing a standard upon black players which the black players better heed if they want to continue to enjoy the white money.
    I agree with you that Whitlock did indeed write this...and I think he could have made the same point without couching it in these terms.

The implication is that it is an unnatural standard to expect the black players to heed.
    I'm just not seeing this part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will we see a rule like in the NFL? Technical fouls for excessive taunting or celebrating?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not using this fight, give me an example of acting like trash please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the white money is oppressing the black players because the white money is holding the black players to a white standard. If the black players don't conform then the white money will go to those who will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the problem. First the author writes...

What the players must come to grips with is that just because race is an element in the backlash, that doesn't mean the backlash is fueled by racism.
    He claims that race isn't the issue and yet in the next paragraph...

We're witnessing a clash of cultures. A predominately white fan base is rejecting a predominately black style of play and sportsmanship.
    He identifies the backlash as being a culture clash between two 'cultures' which are basically defined by race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    okay. instead of "not act like trash" how about i say, be a professional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where are you getting this, MB???

To me, the obvious read is "Here are the rules, there's nothing wrong with the rules, and if you can't abide by them, too bad".

No "oppression", no "unnatural expectations", or anything like that.

Now, I agree he didn't need to use race to make his argument and he shouldn't have. But having said that, I don't think he used a heavy hand in the way he wrote it into his article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sentence:

We're witnessing a clash of cultures. A predominately white fan base is rejecting a predominately black style of play and sportsmanship.
    His argument is that the white customers are holding the black players to a non-black standard, which implies that such a standard is unnatural and one that the black players are incapable of living up to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can you define be a proffesional?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, MB...show me "oppression" in that sentence. Show me "unnatural standard".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His argument is that the white customers are holding the black players to a non-black standard, which implies that such a standard is unnatural and one that the black players have been incapable of living up to.

Hence the white customer backlash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well. the players are at work. how about they do their job and follow the rules.

unsportmanlike conduct is not professional. and artest's cheap shot to wallace is what started the whole damn thing. attacking fans is also not professional.

Hell Yea I'm A Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how bout the simple fact that most fans are sick of athletes acting like assholes and not being accountable for their behavior

if you want to act like a gang banger go play in a league where the gang bangers pay your salary. for the most part most people in this country would not care if gang bangers were eliminated from the planet. after all what is there usefulness to sociaty except thinning out the gene pool by killing off each other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His argument is that the white customers are holding the black players to a non-black standard, which implies that such a standard is unnatural and one that the black players have been incapable of living up to.

Hence the white customer backlash.
    You're way out on a limb with this one, MB...

Look, you know I've got your back on any racial issue you want to name...and I've been accused of over-reaching in my arguments more than once. But I just don't see this one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i did say aside from the fight mention something that was trashy (unprofessional). fouling is extremely professionl, simply part of the game. it was hardly a cheap shot, no more than wallaces foul on artest the previous possesion, however you might deem wallaces retaliation to be unprofessional

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how bout the simple fact that most fans are sick of certain athletes acting like assholes and not being accountable for their behavior

if you want to act like a gang banger go play in a league where the gang bangers pay your salary. for the most part most people in this country would not care if gang bangers were eliminated from the planet. after all what is there usefulness to sociaty except thinning out the gene pool by killing off each other
    thanks for your opinion tpark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Up fifteen, seconds to play = cheap shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh so its professional now to not play 100% at all times?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His argument is that the "black players" must realize that they are being held to a "white" standard. Despite his claim that this is not racially driven he couches this as being a conflict betwen two cultures, cultures which he identifies in terms of race.

He ends by arguing that if the black players do not live up to this white standard then they will be out of the NBA.

The general tone of his article is that this is indeed unfair, save for the "reality" that the customer is always right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ice, it looked like artest though an elbow or forearm to the back of wallaces head or at least in his neck area.....that was from me watching that replay once though....that is not part of the game. that is a trash play.

artest wanted his time off and he wanted his street cred. wish granted.

Thread Information