My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    per ESPN Josh Han , pitcher for St Louis Cardinals, died in a car accident last night. Very sad.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn, didn't know much about him, but 29 is too young for anyone. Bummer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This really, unfortunately hits home to me, because along with last year and this year, I've met josh a couple times, and through some friends thaht work around the team, have gotten to know some of the guys on the team, and this is just hearbreaking. Josh was such a great guy, funny, light hearted, and a pretty good pitcher.

The prevaling thought amongst the team, and I know Cardinal nation is

Can this really be happening again?

Just, a sad sad day

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two times in five years. Horrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    god speed josh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys like Pujols, Edmonds, Larussa, and others were around in 02 for the even equally tragic death of Darryl Kile.

I just hope the young guys like Reyes, Wainwright, and others can be ok.

Matt Morris never recovered and pitched the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just read somewhere that Josh was a Red at one time, and then it clicked. He was always getting bounced between starter and reliever. Very Very sad. God Speed.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cardinals reliever Han killed in car crashAssociated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Josh Han , a relief pitcher who helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, died early Sunday when his sport utility vehicle slammed into the back of a tow truck.

The Cardinals postponed their home game Sunday night against the Chicago Cubs. It was the second time in less than five years that a St. Louis pitcher died during the season. Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room in 2002.

Stark: Valuable pitcher
    Simply put, the Cardinals wouldn't have won the World Series without the efforts of Josh Han , writes Jayson Stark. Story.

"There's a big hole that's going to be there," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "This is brutal to go through."

Police said the 29-year-old Han , who was single, was alone in his 2007 Ford Explorer when the SUV struck the rear of a flatbed tow truck at 12:35 a.m. The tow truck was in the left lane with its lights flashing while assisting another car that had crashed, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said.

Han died upon impact, Mokwa said. The driver of the tow truck, whose name was not released by police, was in the truck at the time of the crash but was not injured. Mokwa said the truck driver saw Han 's SUV swerve just before it hit the tow truck, which weighs about 26,000 pounds.

Mokwa said it appeared Han was driving at or just above the speed limit, and there were no alcohol containers in his vehicle.

"We may never know what occurred," Mokwa said. "It appears that he just merely didn't see the tow truck."

The medical examiner's office said an autopsy had been scheduled. Services were scheduled for Thursday in Tupelo, Miss., where Han 's family lives.

"All of baseball today mourns the tragic and untimely death of St. Louis pitcher Josh Han ," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a fine young pitcher who played an important role on last year's World Series championship team."

The Cardinals will wear patches with Han 's No. 32 on their sleeves for the rest of the season. The team also planned a memorial for the bullpen, which already features a tribute to Kile.

Josh Han 's Career
    Josh Han , who died in an auto accident on Sunday, began his big league career in 2002 and played for four teams. He pitched in both the division and league champonship series' a year ago for St. Louis.
    Year Team IP W-L BB Ks ERA
    '02 Bos. 7.1 0-1 2 6 3.68
    '03 Phil. 3 0-0 0 4 3.00
    '04 Phil.
    Cin. 63.2 5-2 28 36 5.09
    '05 Cin. 14 1-0 1 5 1.93
    '06 StL 77 3-3 23 50 4.09
    '07 StL 12.2 0-1 5 9 3.55
    Tot. 177.2 9-7 59 110 4.20

General manager Walt Jocketty said the Cardinals, who are off Thursday, plan to charter a plane to the funeral. The team begins a three-game series in Milwaukee on Tuesday and returns to St. Louis on Friday.

"Obviously, this is very difficult for all of us, especially those of us who were here five years ago when we lost Darryl Kile," said Jocketty, his eyes red. "There's no way we could have played tonight's game."

La Russa met with players shortly before a news conference Sunday afternoon to provide details of the accident and discuss memories of Han . Late in the afternoon, two Cardinals jogged together in the outfield in a nearly empty Busch Stadium.

News of Han 's death began to circulate around the majors on Sunday morning. Seattle Mariners pitcher Jeff Weaver, who won the World Series clincher for St. Louis in October, got a call from Cardinals reliever Randy Flores.

"I never really had a phone call like that before. It's kind of mind-boggling. Just a few days ago I had talked to him on the phone, touching base again because we were pretty good friends at the time," Weaver said. "We spent a lot of time together. It was just hard to believe."

Weaver said Han called him three or four days ago just to chat, and asked if Weaver had received his World Series ring yet.

Han was remembered at ballparks around the country. The Cleveland Indians observed a moment of silence before their game against the Baltimore Orioles, with Han 's picture displayed on a giant scoreboard. There also was a moment of silence for Han at Yankee Stadium.

"It's terrible, another terrible event," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who was the Colorado hitting coach when Kile was a part of the Rockies' staff in 1998 and 1999. "The young man had done so well last fall and had a promising career. It's just terrible."

A Cardinals-Cubs game also was postponed in June 2002 after Kile died in Chicago. The 33-year-old pitcher died of a coronary artery blockage.

Han , who pitched three innings of relief in Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Three days before his death, the Cardinals got a scare that some teammates said reminded them of Kile's death -- Han overslept and showed up late for a day game in St. Louis. Han told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he thought the starting time was later and didn't get up until the "20th call" from anxious teammates.

"We were all a little nervous," closer Jason Isringhausen said earlier this week. "We don't care if you're late. That happens. We want to know that you're OK."

Han made his offseason home in St. Louis. He was the only player to attend the premiere of a DVD do enting the Cardinals' unlikely run to their 10th World Series championship after winning only 83 regular-season games.

Han joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after the Cincinnati Reds released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He had been a starter the previous year with Cincinnati, but missed 133 games because of groin and elbow injuries. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

The Reds completed a three-game series in St. Louis on Thursday, and former teammates were shaken by the news.

"It's kind of a little turn in your gut," pitcher Matt Belisle said. "It's one of those reality checks that you never know when your time is."

Relief pitcher Todd Coffey said, "It's shocking. I can't even put it in words how I feel."

In 1997, Han helped Auburn reach the College World Series.

"Josh was a part of arguably the best pitching staff and arguably the best team ever to play at Auburn," said Tigers coach Tom Slater, an assistant at the school when Han played there.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a very valuable pitcher, and just as equally a great guy.

This hurts as much as DK passing....

JH

In Fabricio we trust! RogerIsEatingASandwich's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

sad...
    RIP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW

Fox Sports Midwest is doing a special on Josh right now.

Directv 647.

Can't help shedding a few tears right now

In Fabricio we trust! RogerIsEatingASandwich's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the update, T Park.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unfortunately its sounding more and more like he drank at Mike Shannon's resteraunt after the game saturday, and reportedly had "slurred speach"

Im just dissapointed and heartbroken even more if this is true.

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he had an accident just days before his death:

snip:

Three days before he was killed in a highway wreck, St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Han was involved in a predawn accident that police treated routinely.

Officers who talked with the 29-year-old reliever moments after the front of his sport utility vehicle was clipped by a tractor-trailer in this village known for its factories and strip clubs found Han lucid. He did not appear under the influence of alcohol, Police Chief Patrick Delaney said Tuesday.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3673842.html

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid

Han legally drunk at time of crash, had weed in car:

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Han was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Han was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Han was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

St. Louis medical examiner Michael Graham said Han 's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08.

Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Han was traveling 68 mph in a 55 mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Han tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Graham said the pitcher died "within seconds" of head injuries. Han was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said cell phone records showed Han was speaking with a female acquaintance at about the time of the accident. Mokwa said the conversation ended abruptly, presumably when the accident occurred.

Han , a key bullpen member on the World Series championship team last season, was driving alone. The tow truck driver was not hurt.

Han , who pitched three innings of relief in last Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, left Busch Stadium around 6:30 p.m. and arrived about two hours later at Mike Shannon's, a restaurant and bar owned by the former Cardinals third baseman who now is a team broadcaster. Police said Han left Shannon's shortly after midnight.

At 12:34 a.m. Sunday, the tow truck came upon a disabled Geo Prism and stopped behind it with its yellow lights flashing to protect the car, Mokwa said. A few moments later, Han 's SUV struck the rear of the tow truck.

"If you drink, don't drive," Mokwa said. "Use a taxi. Have a designated driver. Call a friend."

Graham said Han had severe chest injuries as well as the fatal head injuries.

"There's nothing at all that could have been done for him," Graham said.

An estimated 500 mourners turned out Thursday for a memorial service for Han in Tupelo, Miss., recalling the pitcher as a goodhearted prankster. Among the mourners were Han 's teammates, coaches, manager Tony La Russa and general manager Walt Jocketty. Han was buried Wednesday in rural Itawamba County, Miss.

Han made his major league debut in September 2002 and played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season, leading the bullpen in innings, and pitched in three postseason games.

He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Han joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after Cincinnati released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

The Cardinals postponed a home game the day of the accident against Chicago and haven't won since. They were swept in a three-game series in Milwaukee and had a day off Thursday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my feelings of sorrow are lost.

He was double drunk, and high.

He committed suicide. Period.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was also talking on his cell phone and speeding. I can't think of a better candidate for a single-fatality car wreck.

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a sad situation, and I feel for his family and the people left behind. But, I'm glad it was him and not another driver. I'm glad the tow truck driver came out unharmed.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MLB wasted all that of how good a person he was. Never drive with cell phones. Jesus Christ, many women are gonna die this way and we should not feel sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cell phones.

Drunk, AND, HIGH!!

God Bless that he only hurt himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Just wow.

Thread Information