Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports...54/detail.html

Fans, Players Could Face Charges For Basketbrawl
    Man Accused Of Throwing First Cup Speaks To Police

POSTED: 7:50 am EST November 22, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Police continue to identify all of the fans involved in Friday night's brawl at The Palace of Auburn Hills, while the man accused of throwing the cup that sparked the incident speaks to Local 4.

John Green, of West Bloomfield, initially said he had no comment to Local 4. Green was caught on tape throwing his cup of beer onto Indiana Pacers player Ron Artest, Local 4 reported. The act sent Artest into a rage in the stands, where players and fans then fought during the game between the Pistons and the Pacers.

Police have identified this fan -- believed to have thrown the first beer at the Indiana Pacers' Ron Artest -- as John Green, of West Bloomfield.

Green eventually commented to Local 4 Monday morning outside his West Bloomfield home, saying, "I'm not going anywhere. The police know where I live. I've talked to them already."

Green was identified over the weekend as "the fan in the white hat" who apparently threw the plastic cup of beer while Artest was sprawled on his back on a scorer's table, away from a scuffle on the court. Artest then jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Green stepped aside and another person took the initial blow. The tape of Friday's fight then shows Green attacking Artest from behind.

Green was expected to speak with Auburn Hills police Sunday night, but did not appear, the station reported.

"I think that's what escalated the whole situation. We're certainly wanting to interview that individual. That individual knows who he is. I suggest he should turn himself in to be questioned by the Auburn Hills Police Department," said Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca. "If he doesn't, I can assure you we will locate him."

Authorities were able to locate Green and have questioned him regarding the incident, Local 4 learned Monday. Green could face charges and lose his season tickets at The Palace, the station reported.

Gorcyca said the investigation will begin with Green, but the prosecutor's office is expected to announce charges against 25 to 50 other fans who participated in the fight at The Palace.

Gorcyca said anyone who threw a cup or a punch -- including players and fans -- could face criminal charges.

"The throwing of an object and striking someone cons utes an assault," said Gorcyca.

One fan in particular that police want to identify is the person who threw a chair into the crowd. Police are reviewing video from a fan who snuck a camera into the game, Local 4 reported.

Police have interviewed nine witnesses who claimed that they were assaulted by one of the Pacers, Local 4 reported Monday. Investigators continue to review video to identify others involved in the brawl.

Witness Joe Hampton said he is a season-ticket holder and was about 10 rows away from the incident Friday.

"I didn't have the instinct necessarily to take off. It's just so shocking. You just kind of freeze," said Hampton. "This happened fast and it was just kind of surreal."

Authorities are trying to confirm witness information with video of the incident.

NBA security is also reviewing the tapes and plan to speak with officials at The Palace about security measures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green was expected to speak with Auburn Hills police Sunday night, but did not appear, the station reported.

what a fool

Even I went to a GTG iminlakerland's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Screw This Idiot. I Hope He Rots In Jail Give Him Toilet Duty!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. You turn me on when you're angry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    humm this is the person ron attacked right because it was self defense right

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I got a lot of pent up aggretion lately would you like to play the roll of helpless victim at the Pacer Detroit game and i can play the roll of stephen jackson how bout that Marcus?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seems addias11 that they are doing something about the fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds kinky.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wasnt ment to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry but this fan rules ass!

First he threw a picture perfect beer strike and nailed Artest right in the face with it from about 30 yards.
    Then he totally played innocent and someone else took his beating.
    Then he pretended to be trying to hold Arttest back and got about 3 or 4 sucker punches in on Artest before Artest and Jack whupped on him.
    His actions directly got 2 Pacers suspended for a third of the season or more...and got Artest suspended for the entire season.

In effect this guy singlehandedly destroyed of his teams number 1 rival in a drunken stupor....stupid yes...but did he do more to a team and player he disliked than many would think is humanly impossible? Yes.

Yes he'll get punished...yes he'll probably lose his season tickets....he'll get fined...possibly even have to serve a couple of days in jail...but if he hated the Pacers he still got over on them in a major way.

I'm not defending what he did, so save the rhighteous indignation, and mock outrage. I hope he gets punished much worse than I am expecting him to get punished......he's a total s bag and cheap shot punk...but you still have to admire the absolute destruction he rendered upon the Pacers franchise with nothing more than a well thrown cup of beer.

I realize it might be tempting to right this guy off as just a drunk idiot...but he's really much more than that...he was a totally destructive force of nature for Artest and the Pacers....Not your typicial drunken idiot...a franchise assasin is more like it.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i give him props too....artest was/is a punk before and after this incident.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling he's going to pay for his 'ruling ass'.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see if it happens...I actually hope you are right...because if he doesn't there's going to be incentive for other fans to act like buttheads and you never know when something like this could happen to our own beloved Spurs..

But I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't get near as much punishment, proportionatlely, as he dished out to the Pacers...

I don't know how the courts work in Michigan, I'm not sure if the state automatically prosecutes for assault like they do in Texas...but I'd be willing to bet the judge and jury are Pistons fans....don't expect the punishment to fit the destruction...I think the bigest loss he will get out of this is the price of his season tickets and a D&D fine...and that's even if Artest brings a civil suit against him. He played nutjob Artest like a Harp, and Artest is definitely at fault here too..Artest is still the #1 reason things got as far out of hand as they did.....and that's why the fan won't get punished for the actual damage caused by his actions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's in the interest of the Piston's organization and arena management to try influence authorities to come down hard on this guy. Otherwise security and policing of events will become a nightmare.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you can do is punish him for throwing a cup beer and suckerpunching Artest...that's it...maybe some kind of incitement...but that would be a weak case. A good lawyer will be able to get him out of facing the maximum penalty for those things..

After all...he can just say he was drunk...guess what? The Pistons sold him the beer...I'm pretty sure the Pistons organization can get into a lot of trouble for selling him beer after he was drunk...and there could also be a community backlash against the Pistons if they go after him too hard.

Face it...more than likely he got over bigtime on the Pacers and Artest....legally, he didn't commit any kind of horrible crime.
    Last edited by whottt; 11-22-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt he'll ever see the inside of a jail cell, but he better not ever see the inside of the Palace ever again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After rewatching the tape...this guy has a pretty good case for assault and battery against Jack...

I'd be willing to bet that local attorneys are already falling over themselves for the chance to defend their local hero, and to make a name for themselves and possibly get paid $$$ courtesy of Mr. Jackson. He's probably going to get some offers from guys willing to waive their fees to defend him.

After all...nothing builds a lawyer's reputation and client base like getting the guilty off scott free...and very few things pay as well as an NBA player facing criminal charges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this guy is going to fare well once all the litigation settles. When he hit Artest with the cup Artest was clearly in the court area and had yet to leave it. So there's your assault with its criminal and civil implications.

Also, it would seem that he would also be the subject of claims from a number of parties who suffered damages as a result of the resulting fight, including Artest, other fans, the Pacers, the Pistons, the NBA, the management and ownership of the Palace, etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully at least Pistons and Palace management can and will put a lifetime ban on attending any events for anyone proven to have thrown beer or punches. That's a good place to start to send a message.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this guy has money, he'll get off easy. Throwing cup of beer isn't exactly violent or dangerous, and it stretches to be "assault".

And there was no property damage, or death (manslaughter). Injuries? who knows? He had no intent to incite a riot. Pre-meditated? Disorderly in public is about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was plenty of damage as a result of his action.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Artest is lucky that he did not get ed!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is going to get the book thrown at him since he did not show up like he was suppose to

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit should award him some of the playoff money share and give him a ring for what he did to single handidly eliminate Detroits single most threat to their repeat of EC champions.

Had he not thrown the cup, Indy would have kept getting better and better once they got healthy. Ben Wallace would have been suspended for 6 games because of his behaviour proir to the fight, thus putting Detroit even further behind Indy.

Yes Detroit should offer him box seats instead of taking his seats away from him, he is truly a local hero in my mind.

Had this been the Lakers and Spurs, I would do they same thing at Kobe to get the Lakers going after me and ruining their chance to knock off my Spurs.

Thread Information