In Fabricio we trust! RogerIsEatingASandwich's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surprise here, all these injuries are ridiculous. Bad job.

Yankees fire strength and conditioning coach

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer
    May 2, 2007

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- The New York Yankees fired their strength and conditioning coach Wednesday following a rash of injuries to the pitching staff that has contributed to the team's poor start.

Marty Miller was hired by the Yankees in the offseason as director of performance enhancement. He had been with the club only a few months.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It got to the point where the perception is there's a problem here," general manager Brian Cashman said.

The 34-year-old Miller will be replaced on an interim basis by Dana Cavalea, who was Miller's assistant.

"The knowledge that Marty had was certainly impressive," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "Now, does that mean that because you know a lot about the body, it relates to baseball? That's what we don't know."

The latest injury to New York's depleted staff came Tuesday night, when Phil Hughes carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning of his second major league start before a hamstring injury knocked him out of the game against the Texas Rangers. The 20-year-old right-hander, considered one of the top prospects in baseball, is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Hughes was called up from Triple-A Scranton to fill a spot in the team's injury-ravaged rotation. Mike Mussina (hamstring), Carl Pavano (forearm) and Jeff Karstens (broken right leg) are on the disabled list.

Chien-Ming Wang also missed the first three weeks of the season with a hamstring injury. He is expected to start Saturday after breaking a nail on his pitching hand in his most recent start.

Yankees center fielder Johnny Damon, bothered by a bad back and sore legs much of the season, said Miller introduced conditioning tools that some players weren't accustomed to using -- but also agreed to bring in equipment that players requested.

Still, Damon thought it was unusual that so many pitchers suc bed to hamstring problems, an injury more common for position players.

"I think when you get a number of pitchers go down with the same problem, it opens up eyes and it makes you start thinking there might need to be a change," Damon said.

The Yankees entered Wednesday night's game at Texas with a 10-14 record that left them in last place in the AL East. The slow start roused owner George Steinbrenner to issue a statement Monday rebuking the $195 million team for its record but also supporting Cashman and Torre.

Updated on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:39 pm EDT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the turnaround begin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody had to be the scapegoat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody had to be the scapegoat.

Why NY would hire him in the first place is what I'd like to know...the guy's background was in football and you bring him in as a strength and conditioning coach of a baseball club?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not responsible for the fact that your pitching rotation was mediocre at best to begin with, before the injuries. Blame the injuries on him, fine. But once healthy your team still has arguably the worst rotation in the AL East. Who does Steinbrenner fire then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not responsible for the fact that your pitching rotation was mediocre at best to begin with, before the injuries. Blame the injuries on him, fine. But once healthy your team still has arguably the worst rotation in the AL East. Who does Steinbrenner fire then?

You're preaching to the choir...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what an embarrasment

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You're telling me that Professional MLB players need this guy to tell them when and how to stretch? That's the stupidist thing I've ever heard, he isn't responsible for their injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're telling me that Professional MLB players need this guy to tell them when and how to stretch? That's the stupidist thing I've ever heard, he isn't responsible for their injuries.

Obviously they do, since each team has one. Granted, the Yanks pitching staff is rubbish as was aluded to in an earlier post. But when you have three pitchers all on the shelf from the same injury, naturally there's gonna be questions.

I'm not knowledeable on the subject, but I'd imagine workout regimens are vastly different between a linebacker and a pitcher. Melmart's correct though...in George's world, someone had to be blamed.

Thread Information