adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Best Scoop Jackson article in a long time. He does nothing but speak the absolute truth here. Or maybe I'm still bitter that Clemens keeps snubbing the Rangers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=mlb

Who framed Roger Clemens? Not us
    By Scoop Jackson
    Page 2

I waited all week for it -- for something, anything, to happen.

Nothing.

I watched, I listened, I read, waiting for someone -- anyone -- to say something; to break down how selfish Roger Clemens really is to continue to treat the game this way. The game of baseball, the one America holds so dearly to its heart. Instead, nothing. The only point of national contention seems to be a "freedom clause" in his contract that allows him to go home on off days.

The media -- the people who are supposed to be the voices of reason, the protectors of the sanc y of sports -- collectively have acted as if Roger Clemens' signing with the Yankees was about Roger Clemens' signing with the Yankees. The media is failing to recognize this is about how one man not only has put an "I" in team, but put a "me" in MLB and "myself" in professional sports.

Roger Clemens is without question the most selfish athlete of our time.

Either that, or he's the most celebrated pimp in professional sports.

Now, I like Roger Clemens, a lot. Always have. I'll root for him whenever he's on the mound, as long as he's not facing Pedro Martinez. I respect his "gangster." It's not him I have the issue with. If he can continue getting away with what he's doing, more power to him. Play the game, don't ever let it play you. Ball Player Rule No. 4080.

My issue is with us, the media. We tell ourselves and the public that we'll be objective and fair, and provide balanced coverage, and set the proper agenda for what should be topics of national discussion.

So when AI misses practice, we tell you about it. When Floyd Landis says it was Jack Daniel's and not synthetic testosterone in his system, we tell you about it. When a player holds out … when a player is in a contract dispute … when a player is under su ion of illegal drug use … when a player re-retires five times … when a player isn't doing what's in the best interest of his team or his sport, we are on the front line to get you past the PR spin and the player's BS.

This is what we do. This is our job.

But when a player, year after year, holds teams -- heck, an entire sport -- hostage, affecting everything from payroll to personnel moves, all for the benefit of his personal happiness, it seems it's our job to ignore it. To act like it doesn't keep happening. Instead, let's make a big deal about what he's allowed to do on his off days. Yeah, that's the story.

As we always say in this business, "the public has the right to know." And you all have the right to know when someone has a God complex and represents everything that is wrong with professional sports.

Now, I know there are some athletes who, because of who they are and because of their relationship with us, get "passes" on some things we'd normally take issue with. For example, if Brett Favre wasn't Brett Favre, we'd have a major issue with his annual "holding the Packers at bay" ritual before deciding whether to return for another season.

But like Dave Chappelle's old skit, "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong," this latest situation should be dubbed "When The Benefit Of The Doubt Goes Too Far: The Roger Clemens Edition."

All I'm saying is, sometimes in life we have to call a spade a spade, a crook a crook, a con artist a con artist, a selfish SOB a selfish SOB, a great pitcher a great pitcher … a pimp a pimp. And I feel it's my duty to say what needs to be said about the great Roger Clemens:

So what he's been pitching for 23 years?

So what he has rings, Cy Youngs and 348 wins?

So what the last time he pitched his ERA was 2.30?

So what he has more than 4,000 strikeouts?

SO WHAT?

He's a self-absorbed, beyond-arrogant, bigger-than-the-game, I-have-no-respect-or-honor-for-the-concept-of-team, I-only-pitch-when-I-feel-like-it, any-team-should-feel-blessed-to-have-me, Randy-Johnson-will-never-be-on-my-level, the-world-revolves-around-me, kiss-the-ground-I walk-on, worship-who-I-am-because-I-am-the-me-myself-and-I-in-MLB pimp.

But again, my problem is not with Roger, it's with us. The media cowards. Because all of us, for too long now, have looked past all of this and validated what I've said my whole life: "Pimpin' ain't easy, the media is just scared."

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for Page 2 and a contributor to ESPN The Magazine. He's also the host of ESPN Original Entertainment's "NBA Live: Bring It Home".

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    scoop dawg, keeping it real. he has some good points, but i don't think anyone on the stros would have called him a bad teammate, especially after he pitched relief in that 15th inning (i think) a few years ago.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree with some of his points, but scoop is still an idiot. whitlock owned him and got fired for it.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People said similar things about Curt Flood.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass. No one is holding a gun to any team's head to sign old man Clemens. As we're reminded anytime a Club's management makes changes with no regard on how it reflects on the integrity of the game; It's a Business.

Personally, I would've told Clemens to off if he wanted more than 8 million after he turned 40.

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Clemens is the smartest athlete ever. By playing less games he's extending his career and playing at a higher level. This is the best move he could have done. He is what he is a paid mercenary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roger Clemens is the . I have always liked him. Even though he pissed me off by signin back up with the Yankees but oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This reminds me of that old joke:
    "Why do dogs lick themselves?
    "Because they can..."

Roger Clemens CAN do what he's doing for several reasons:

1. He's an amazing athlete, even at his 40ish age.

2. The overall state of MLB pitching has been pathetic for at least 15 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This reminds me of that old joke:
    "Why do dogs lick themselves?
    "Because they can..."

Roger Clemens CAN do what he's doing for several reasons:

1. He's an amazing athlete, even at his 40ish age.

2. The overall state of MLB pitching has been pathetic for at least 15 years.
    you forgot, "uses tons and tons of roids!"

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roger and Barry could be the best ever or many people think they should have an asterik. Both seem to have gained more than 50 punds during their careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slefish.......yeah he is......SMart......yeah he is. I mean come on whole wouldnt take the money he is getting with what he actually has to do. I have always liked Roger, I loved him when he was with the stros. I don't agree with his decision to join the yanks, but come on he couldnt be away from Andy that long.

Thread Information