View Poll Results: Is Smoltz a first ballot Hall of Famer?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Without a doubt!!!

4 40.00%
  • Hall of Famer-yes...First Ballot-No

3 30.00%
  • NO...Good pitcher but not great.

2 20.00%
  • Lets wait till he's retired.

1 10.00%
    Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel he is no doubt, but what do ya'll think?

He got his 200th win last night, and he'll get around 30 more before it's all said and done. He also has 154 saves. Which brings me to the question...

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    first ballot all the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HOF, I do believe, but the enshrinement is frequently slower that one would think. He's also had a weird dual career that will be difficult for the media to figure out.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. Probably 250+ wins right now if not for the time spent as closer. Maybe would have had an outside shot at 300.

He's been a legit ace since the mid 90s, even though he was often overshadowed by the other 2 aces on the staff.

I also put him as the 5th best pitcher of his era (Clemens, Maddux, Johnson, and Glavine).

And, of the Braves' aces, he's the one who actually stepped up his game come postseason. His postseason numbers: 15-4, 2.65 ERA, 207 IP, 168 HA, 67 BB, 194 K. Seriously - that's a Cy Young caliber season in itself, consisting solely of starts against the best teams in baseball in October!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not on the first ballot, some of the all time greats didnt get in the first time. try again in 4 years.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most of the all-time greats who didn't get in on the first ballot were in the initial classes, where they only took in 4 or 5 at a time.

in fact, i'm struggling to come up with an all-time great who hasn't gotten in on the first ballot over the past 50 years. maybe pete rose, although he's got a different set of cir stances and i also think he's the most overrated player in baseball history for reasons i have discussed in other threads. (for the record, i don't consider smoltz to be an 'all-time great', but he is a first ballot guy, and it's not close).

and what do you mean by try again in 4 years?

Thread Information