Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If they have a video game out on more than one platform, for example, on PC and on Xbox, is it better to get it on a particular system?

Name
    2Pac
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    PC will always be more powerful than any gaming system.

Get what you prefer. I prefer to keep my games on the PS2.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    IMO XBOX is the best one in the business.

But if your going for graphics and the whole nine yards, the PC Computer loaded up with a good graphics card sound card and lots of memory is the best way.

SW: Hot As Hell
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    PC>Xbox>PS2>Cube

PCs can be upgraded, customized, and you can do anything you can with a console on a PC and more. Plus, controling games on computers is easier than consoles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok, here's my dilemna... we don't have an Xbox but there's a game coming out that I really want to get for my hubby for Christmas, but it's only coming out on Xbox before Christmas. It won't be released on PC until February and as far as I can tell it's not being released on PS2 or GC. I'm debating whether it's worth it to buy the system for that game or just scrap the whole idea and just get him the game in February for his PC (which is a relatively new laptop so I don't think system requirements should be an issue.)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    PC>Xbox>PS2>Cube

PCs can be upgraded, customized, and you can do anything you can with a console on a PC and more. Plus, controling games on computers is easier than consoles.
    Interesting the guy at the game store said that if a game is available on both GC & PS2 to get the GC because the graphics and speed is better.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dude...Jane....does you husband regularly play games on his PC?

if so, I would think it would be his preference to continue to do so....

however, if he has dropped hints about wanting an xbox, then go that route....

worst case scenario Jane, ASK the man on which he would rather play games.....too often wifeys get caught up in the "suprise" aspect of giving the gift. ask him a question or two and get your answer....that's the only no lose solution.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dude...Jane....does you husband regularly play games on his PC?

if so, I would think it would be his preference to continue to do so....

however, if he has dropped hints about wanting an xbox, then go that route....

worst case scenario Jane, ASK the man on which he would rather play games.....too often wifeys get caught up in the "suprise" aspect of giving the gift. ask him a question or two and get your answer....that's the only no lose solution.
    Not really... but since he now has a laptop, he might appreciate the portability????

He has dropped hints, but jeez.. we're only 2 people and we already have the other 2, how many game systems does a man need??

BUT he always guesses what I'm getting him if I ask questions...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^ Bingo! If he hasn't ever had much experience playing on consoles then don't get one. A Best Buy gift card is not that bad a gift for a guy! The reason you shouldn't get a Game Cube is there are just not as many games for it. With a PC you can almost play any game made for any of the consoles.

EDIT: The Bingo was for above yours!

Name you'd love to touch maxpower's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Depends also on how he likes to play games...on his couch with the bigger(i assume) tv and maybe surround sound or at his desk.
    I don't play on pc at all ...it's just too uncomfortable...plus if you guys ever play games together ...the console will allow you to play together.
    As for the GC ...the guy must be on crack.
    What game, BTW, is coming out for Xbox before PC...I would venture to say it's either Halo2 or Ghost Recon 2. Either way...they can't be beat on large screen with the surround sound.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    BUT he always guesses what I'm getting him if I ask questions...
    that's the nature of the beast....we all do that.

just note that us men do not care about the suprise like most women do.
    we'd rather get what we want, and we can be picky when it comes to electronics and such. good luck.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Depends also on how he likes to play games...on his couch with the bigger(i assume) tv and maybe surround sound or at his desk.
    I don't play on pc at all ...it's just too uncomfortable...plus if you guys ever play games together ...the console will allow you to play together.
    As for the GC ...the guy must be on crack.
    What game, BTW, is coming out for Xbox before PC...I would venture to say it's either Halo2 or Ghost Recon 2. Either way...they can't be beat on large screen with the surround sound.
    Knights of the Old Republic II
    Last edited by Samurai Jane; 12-01-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    that's the nature of the beast....we all do that.

just note that us men do not care about the suprise like most women do.
    we'd rather get what we want, and we can be picky when it comes to electronics and such. good luck.
    Thanks!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^ Bingo! If he hasn't ever had much experience playing on consoles then don't get one. A Best Buy gift card is not that bad a gift for a guy! The reason you shouldn't get a Game Cube is there are just not as many games for it. With a PC you can almost play any game made for any of the consoles.

Was that a hint?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess an rpg can be played pretty comfortably in front of the pc...but ..I tell ya...you can't beat kicking back on your comfy couch, kick your feet up and play. I actually don't mind watching someone else play...especially games like Resident Evil(which unfortunately at this time is exclusive to GC...damn you capcom).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    keep in mind if you buy a PC game they wont give you a refund since Pc games can be burned into many copies, I found that out with my Splinter cell I need at least 800 MHZ to play it, The game stores would not let me trade it in

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I could be wrong...But Grand Theft Auto-2 is only out on Play station correct...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you are wrong...it's grand theft auto san andreas, which would be the third installment...if you only count the ones since ps2. GTA and GTA2(vice city) are out on ps2,xb and pc.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The one rated "VERY BAD"...That just came out...

One has to have a license to purchase it in England....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess an rpg can be played pretty comfortably in front of the pc...but ..I tell ya...you can't beat kicking back on your comfy couch, kick your feet up and play. I actually don't mind watching someone else play...especially games like Resident Evil(which unfortunately at this time is exclusive to GC...damn you capcom).
    Max, I can play my PC games on any tv in my house. It's not hard to do either. Especially since Jane says he has a laptop. I play a a lot of games and used to get burned with consoles. If your really into it you can play Game Cube and Xbox games on your pc too(this not for the novice gamer). You don't have to sit in front of the PC anymore to use it.

As for gaming online, nothing beats the PC platform. PC games have MANY TIMES the number online players than all of the consoles combined. The online community is also far more advanced and feature rich with PCs.

Mouse is right about copying games. It's pretty easy to do and share with your friends and family. Mouse, try www.megagames.com to find some uh, "fixes" for copying games.

Jane, since you already have the other two systems I'm sure your hubby would love the Xbox. It has much better graphics than PS2 or the Cube. The Xbox is in fact a pentium 3 733mhz processor with much of the same components of a PC. I recomend just getting one now, or the gift card if you're really not sure.

No SW! I wasn't giving you any hints! I hope what you give me can't be bought with any gift card!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I too don't like playing games on a PC.
    For one I don't like having to use a keyboard or what ever type of controller you need.

I like PS2 but that is just my own preference and I don't play so much that the graphics mean that much to me.

I just got GTA-Vice City and just like doing the missions or creating havoc in the PD.

Mouse has tried to get me to play PC games but I'm just not into it.

I get most of my games on Ebay or at the pawnshop.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've played pc and xbox online..and while there are many gamers in pc community...there is no shortage of gamers on xbox. Plus for pick up and play online ...I prefer xbox. It is simple and every game is standardized...whereas with pc you come up with incompatability issues here and there. I love that xbox supports voice over all the games with no fuss. Again with pc you have to configure your setup and then hope the other players are also using voice. But that is just nitpicking. Personally I found the xbox community much more personal. I am lucky that I came across a community of gamers that are about my age and have same type of preferences. We don't have to worry about the screaming preteens, cursing teens or malicious everyone else. But to each their own. When I played pc ...castle wolfenstein I also found a similar group. But from experience..xbox is the easier choice for pick up and play. ...to end ...you go where the games are. For me it's xbox.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Last edited by bigzak25; 12-01-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The pandora's box about PCs is that you constantly have to upgrade that thing as new games roll out (evidence the big graphics card rollout for Doom3).

You wanna hit one out of the park, buy the Xbox holiday bundle that has I think 3 games in it including NCAA 2005, and get KOTORII as a stocking stuffer.

Just don't forget the Xbox live pack either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    There has been a rumor for a while that Bill gates will buy the codes so all games Game cube and PS/2 can be played on X. Box so if I had to choose? I would go with X box.

Keep in mind the less time he's on the PC the better, Joe Chalupa is right at least with PS/2 and X box you get to sit in front of the TV and used a better controller.

Plus you get to watch DVD's, I will make us all a copy of delta force and we can all meet on line and blow each other up.

User666 has some good points, maybe you can get a used PS2 for 50 bucks check the sunday paper.

Ps: 2pac sucks but will never know cause I am on his ignore list

Thread Information