My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

According to a 2005 report by the University of Central Florida Ins ute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, only 8.5 percent of major leaguers were African-American -- the lowest percentage since the report was initiated in the mid-1980s. By contrast, whites comprised 59.5 percent of the majors' player pool, Latinos 28.7 percent and Asians 2.5.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you can find plenty of (inset racial group here) people who will allow themselves to be 'controlled' so they can play baseball for seven to eight figures per season.

For whatever reason, baseball is out of favor with the average African-American athlete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a tiger now? lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was an article recently in a magazine (maybe ESPN?) which cited some possible reasons as to why African Americans are not enchanted by baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but there ain't no English going to be coming out
    There aint no english coming out of your mouth either dumb .

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "hispanic athletes from third world or economically deprived countries may have less opportunities than african americans."
    if you are a talented player in cuba i bet your ass you're finding some way to make it to america and make some money for your family.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you imagine if Sheffield was the one chasing Hank Aaron's record?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shef needs to be put out of our misery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you gotta be a dumb MF to not cooperate with people willing to make you a multi millionaire for playing a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Sheffield press conference HERE!

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    As long as he's hitting and doesn't divide the team, I could care less what the dude says or thinks.

With Leyland managing, I doubt this is a big deal in the clubhouse.

Thread Information