My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recognize!

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm going to go ahead and say that he's the best LHP to ever play the game.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    koufax?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randy > Sandy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he pitched for a longer amount of time, but other than that...

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Damn straight!

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    During the game last night they were talking about all the top power pitchers, both right and left handed. Ryan is, of course, generally regarded as the top power pitcher of all time. He's #1 on the strikeout list, so it's certainly justifiable. Clemens is always discussed in similar fashion as well. He's been #2 on the strikeout list for a while, so that's also certainly justifiable.

Thing is, both Ryan and Clemens are in the top-10 all time in innings pitched as well. So while they have tons of strikeouts, the stat is a loaded one thanks to the number of innings each has pitched.

Randy is now #2 on the All-Time strikeouts list after last night. Amazingly, he's nowhere near the top-10 in innings pitched. Not even the top-20. Not even top-30. He's coming in at a distant 40-something on the All-Time innings pitched.

He's so far and away the best strikeout pitcher it's not even funny. No, he won't catch Ryan. He'd have to play another four to six years to realistically challenge that record, but his strikeouts per 9 innings pitched is probably tops all time.

Five Cy Youngs and the best power pitcher to ever take the mound...

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty damn awesome!

I'm hoping Clemens takes the mound on Saturday, nothing just enough strikeouts to overtake Randy again, because I'll be there for the game vs. Boston on Sunday and I'd really like to see Randy overtake him again!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a twelve-season career, Koufax had a 165–87 record with a 2.76 ERA, 2,396 strikeouts, 137 complete games, and 40 shutouts.[1] During his last ten seasons, from 1957 to 1966, batters hit .203 against him, with a .271 on base percentage and a .315 slugging average.

that's pretty damn impressive, esp the 137 CGs.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    In a twelve-season career, Koufax had a 165–87 record with a 2.76 ERA, 2,396 strikeouts, 137 complete games, and 40 shutouts.[1] During his last ten seasons, from 1957 to 1966, batters hit .203 against him, with a .271 on base percentage and a .315 slugging average.

that's pretty damn impressive, esp the 137 CGs.
    Koufax was insanely dominant for a relatively brief period of time. Before that, he was considered one of the worst pitchers in the game. While I'd take Koufax over Johnson in his prime, I'm taking Randy's career over Sandy's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the game last night they were talking about all the top power pitchers, both right and left handed. Ryan is, of course, generally regarded as the top power pitcher of all time. He's #1 on the strikeout list, so it's certainly justifiable. Clemens is always discussed in similar fashion as well. He's been #2 on the strikeout list for a while, so that's also certainly justifiable.

Thing is, both Ryan and Clemens are in the top-10 all time in innings pitched as well. So while they have tons of strikeouts, the stat is a loaded one thanks to the number of innings each has pitched.

Randy is now #2 on the All-Time strikeouts list after last night. Amazingly, he's nowhere near the top-10 in innings pitched. Not even the top-20. Not even top-30. He's coming in at a distant 40-something on the All-Time innings pitched.

He's so far and away the best strikeout pitcher it's not even funny. No, he won't catch Ryan. He'd have to play another four to six years to realistically challenge that record, but his strikeouts per 9 innings pitched is probably tops all time.

Five Cy Youngs and the best power pitcher to ever take the mound...

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty damn awesome!

I'm hoping Clemens takes the mound on Saturday, nothing just enough strikeouts to overtake Randy again, because I'll be there for the game vs. Boston on Sunday and I'd really like to see Randy overtake him again!!!
    Not me, I hope Clemens gets rocked!

I think RJ just gave Clemens his motivation to come back healthy.

Bad news for Clemens is that he won't have near the season Randy will, all things being equal and both pitchers staying healthy.

Question is- will they pitch against each other in a couple of weeks at Yankee Stadium?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Not me, I hope Clemens gets rocked!

I think RJ just gave Clemens his motivation to come back healthy.

Bad news for Clemens is that he won't have near the season Randy will, all things being equal and both pitchers staying healthy.

Question is- will they pitch against each other in a couple of weeks at Yankee Stadium?
    I know that the Wednesday game is on ESPN, and I really hope that it happens. As of now, I believe that the matchup is Webb vs. Wang.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Randy is pitching this Sunday, so he's going next Friday. Clemens is pitching Saturday, more than likely, so there's a decent chance he is the pitcher vs. Randy, but he's probably going to pitch the day before.

I'm amped for the Sunday's Johnson vs. Dice-K matchup! I'm going Saturday as well, and while I'm glad I get the consistant Doug Davis - as it means a better chance for a Diamondbacks win vs. Boston's Tavarez - I was really hoping to see Owings pitch. Oh well...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Randy is pitching this Sunday, so he's going next Friday. Clemens is pitching Saturday, more than likely, so there's a decent chance he is the pitcher vs. Randy, but he's probably going to pitch the day before.

I'm amped for the Sunday's Johnson vs. Dice-K matchup! I'm going Saturday as well, and while I'm glad I get the consistant Doug Davis - as it means a better chance for a Diamondbacks win vs. Boston's Tavarez - I was really hoping to see Owings pitch. Oh well...
    you sure about that? According to this, owings is indeed projected to pitch saturday against tavarez while doug davis is slated for friday. or did they make changes recently?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    you sure about that? According to this, owings is indeed projected to pitch saturday against tavarez while doug davis is slated for friday. or did they make changes recently?
    I checked last night according to Yahoo!'s projected pitching matchups.

If so, I'm very glad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That reminds me, I need to get some tickets to see the Red Sox. Gotta see if Schilling is going to pitch at Chase field in any of the games here....

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    That reminds me, I need to get some tickets to see the Red Sox. Gotta see if Schilling is going to pitch at Chase field in any of the games here....
    Nope. He pitches Thursday. I was really hoping to see him as well. I had tickets all ready for Friday as well, but no luck... sucks...

Thread Information