Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    subtle ending. perfect for the show i felt. it seems obvious to me that tony gets whacked, the dark and the silence ... but it's open to interpretation. i've been a fan of the show since the first episode as well. brilliantly done.

great whiny aj scenes too ... plus phil's death, a definite "A."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I thought it was going to end with AJ looking into a crystal snow ball, imagining the whole show.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The dude that went to bathroom before the end was an assassin. It left everybody having to guess what was going to happen. Lame.

Assassin? Martin Luther King was assassinated. Malcolm X was assassinated. JFK was assassinated. That dude just got shot!

-C.Rock

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought it was great. There was closure with most of the characters, but it still shows that Tony and his family will never feel completely safe. It's never going to be over for them.

What did you guys want? Would you have been happier if they'd killed Tony like everyone and their grandmother expected them to do?
    the pubic always wants blood.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    it seems obvious to me that tony gets whacked, the dark and the silence ... but it's open to interpretation.
    How can anything that is designed to be open to interpretation be obvious to anybody? Why even try to figure it out, there is no answer, because it was a chicken ending that was designed to keep his options open for a movie. And the kicker is it ceases to be interpretive if or when he gets enough of them to sign on for a movie, then he'll make something up as he goes along. It only remains interpretive as long as he's done making money off of it. His pocketbook wouldn't allow him to give us any answers. Lame.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's amazing to me that people's satisfaction could have been bought with someone simply putting a gun to Tony's head and pulling the trigger.

And there's not going to be a movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    It's amazing to me that people's satisfaction could have been bought with someone simply putting a gun to Tony's head and pulling the trigger.

And there's not going to be a movie.

I wasn't hoping for Tony to get whacked, he was my favorite character, I was hoping for CLOSURE! No matter what form it took, a little closure would have been nice. Show us if he made it out of the restaurant, don't even need to show us if he makes it to trial. Too many loose ends.

To imply that anybody could have been bought is a joke, we want some finality to a show that we invested like 100 hours of our lives into. Instead of him taking the easy way out and just letting us draw our own conclusion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you assume Tony lives, the last scene is an artistic portrayal of the endless paranoia he's going to live with for the rest of his life. Will someone turn on him, will he be hauled away by the cops, will he be shot randomly... there's no closure or happy ending to be had. I guess they could have shown that without an abrupt ending, and simply panned away as they sit at a table eating, but that's been done before. This was a much more interesting way to show it.

If you assume Tony was shot, it's a brilliant (and original) portrayal of death from Tony's perspective. Hightened senses, tension, and a completely unexpected end where everything goes "dark and silent." I guess they could have shown him getting shot, and then panned away as he lies in a pool of his own blood with his family screaming around him, but that would have been so predictable.

IMO, "closure" is rarely as satisfying as what leads up to it.

Mr. Burns
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you assume Tony lives, the last scene is an artistic portrayal of the endless paranoia he's going to live with for the rest of his life. Will someone turn on him, will he be hauled away by the cops, will he be shot randomly... there's no closure or happy ending to be had. I guess they could have shown that without an abrupt ending, and simply panned away as they sit at a table eating, but that's been done before. This was a much more interesting way to show it.

If you assume Tony was shot, it's a brilliant (and original) portrayal of death from Tony's perspective. Hightened senses, tension, and a completely unexpected end where everything goes "dark and silent." I guess they could have shown him getting shot, and then panned away as he lies in a pool of his own blood with his family screaming around him, but that would have been so predictable.

That's all she wrote....Perfectly stated

The Queen Always Protects the King Islymore's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I have never really watched the Sopranos during its run... but from what I have heard it was an excellent show during the course of its yrs... however, as a fan of artistic endings to movies - I thot the ending sucked.

I thot the crushing of Phil was a lil bit excessive, but Soprano-style none the less I assumed. kinda sad, kinda alarming, kinda unbelieveable. but GREAT CAMERA SHOTS the entire show!!!!! loved that.

I cant really say if Tony got killed - it def looked like it was leading up to that. the music, the way he kept looking around, the su ious ppl, the "assassin" entering the bathroom. But call me crazy, I thot it was the same guy who killed Phil. So... I was confused. And the darkness for 10 secs weirded me out completely! I thot my tv blacked out. Was quite disappointed that we have no idea how it ended for the family. But since i was never really a fan of the show as a whole, I guess I could see how some ppl are happy and some mad about the SERIES FINALE EPI.

It sucked compared to other SERIES FINALE EPIs....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

Really you don't have to explain it to me, because I actually understand the possible outcomes of that steaming pile of ending.

The show had steadily gone downhill and gotten more and more anti-climactic, with very few exceptions, since season 5. It's really too bad. It's like Chase has been teasing us for 3 seasons with things that would ultimately never come to fruition.

I think it is a joke that the war between NY and NJ took place in 1 and a half episodes. That is what we had been leading up to for 3 seasons, and boom..... ing nothing. I'm so truly disappointed in the last three seasons of the Sopranos, !

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you were expecting some kind of Saving Private Ryan-esque mob war scene, I have to wonder what show you've been watching for the past 8 years thinking it was The Sopranos.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Everybody wants a thrill....
    The movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on...."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    If you were expecting some kind of Saving Private Ryan-esque mob war scene, I have to wonder what show you've been watching for the past 8 years thinking it was The Sopranos.
    Saving Private Ryan-esque? That doesn't even make sense. War and mafia? How are they comparable?

I've been watching the same show that everybody else has, the one that kicked ing major ass for 4 straight seasons, and then started to really slow down and disappoint in season 5.

Still the best show ever, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't majorly disappointed in the direction the show has gone in the last 3 seasons.

I guess I just have to come to grips with the fact that the peak of the show was years ago in season 3 & 4.

BTW, if you think that Chase wouldn't do a movie if he get enough main characters on board, you're ing crazy.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i think the end of that crappy "way of the gun" movie with the old man gangster shootout would be better

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Remember the episode where Tony and Bobby are on the lake? They're talking about death and stuff, and wondering what it's like in the end. Bobby says something like "You probably don't even hear it."

There ya go. We didn't hear it.

Name
    Sean
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Utah Utes
    My takes, fwiw:

1. I'm just glad Tony didn't wake up and find out the entire series was all a dream, and Tony was just some jabrone.That would be so like Chase to have the whole thing end up like that.

2. I thought the most interesting part of the show was the FBI agent saying "yes! we're going to win this thing!" When he heard Phil was dead (while in the hotel room with the other woman agent). It showed that even the supposed "good guys" are just as bad as the mobsters. That scene was great, albeit quick.

3. The ending blew. I can understand the "no closure" ending, as many series have gone that route, but it could have ended a thousand different ways, and they all would have been better.

Oh well. When does the movie come out?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the pubic always wants blood.

Only when it's on its period.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think the black screen signified Tony's death because the guy sitting at the counter and later went to the bathroom is listed in the credits as "Leo o". The last scene was great because the viewers felt the same anxiety as Tony thinking that anybody in the restaurant could be there to kill him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Somebody mentioned int he Simmons chat that Tony's shirt changes between the time he enters the coffee shop and when he's seated. I thought I noticed this at the time but had forgotten all about it. Anyone else see that?

Could that whole last scene have been his imagination?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Somebody mentioned int he Simmons chat that Tony's shirt changes between the time he enters the coffee shop and when he's seated. I thought I noticed this at the time but had forgotten all about it. Anyone else see that?

Could that whole last scene have been his imagination?
    I noticed the same thing, but then I couln't remember if it was a different shirt or if he was wearing a jacket, then took it off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This ending is too far ahead of most people to make sense right now, but in a few days or weeks everyone will recognize the cinematic genius that it is. If every were killed off in a gorry bloodbath, then our relationship with each character would have ended with each bullet into each character. Like many who go before us, they are forgotten and only brought up in memory every so often. But that didn't happen. This ending will force the audience to revel in its glory, and forever debate what they think happened. "WHO SHOT JR?" In doing so, our relationship to the Sopranos does not just die, simply because the show has. Brilliant piece of work.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I'm curious as to what the other two alternate endings were. Maybe it's best to not find out. This ending was initially infuriating for me, but ultimately I think it was the right way to end the show.

Wanna kill all Humans? u2sarajevo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I rewatched it. I think it's genius. My stomach was in knots that whole scene because I thought he was gone with the camera shots on specific people and the look of su ion on most everyone not Tony in the restaurant. It was then that I wanted him to live more than any other time during the shows entire run.... I'm quite certain it was Meadow coming through the door... and I think the blank screen and silence was us dying(metaphorically speaking), not Tony.

Life for Tony goes on. AJ is influenced by his father (I thought his rehashing something Tony had told him long ago was brilliant to give us closure that perhaps he would turn out alright...).

Great show. I wanted a movie, but the more I think about it I just wanted it to not end more than anything else... which makes the abrupt ending even more brilliant. Because that's what it did. It ended. Plain and simple.

One for the Thumb
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^Tough call, and everyone is certainly en led to their own opinions about the ending. For me, after having watched every episode of this series at least 3 times, the ending produced some conflicting thoughts/emotions.

My first reaction was mainly confusion. Does Tony get killed? Does his family get killed? Does he live and have just a normal dinner with his family?

After sitting in my living room for about 30 minutes thinking about the ending, I finally came to the conclusion that the ending fit for this series. Chase has left plenty of storylines in this series for us to figure out, he doesn't really like to wrap things up sometimes, he lets the audience decide for themselves, which I kind of like.

I also tend to feel that for Tony, life just goes on with his family and all the constant stress/anxiety he has to deal with on a daily basis. I mean the guy never really had any sustained period of stress free life in this series. There was always something he had to deal with-with his mob family or his real family.

So now he moves on with the possibility of more legal problems on the horizon, something he's had to deal with before.

The one thing I did keep coming back to with the ending is that Tony (when sober) NEVER lost a fight/battle during the entire series, he always found a way to win/survive. I keep coming back to that when I think about that last scene, I just can't convince myself that he loses that final battle.

Thread Information