Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    Notre Dame left with its pants down. Maybe they can rehire Tyrone.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    Wow, no way...

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    I'm not sure about this...don't know why ND would fire Willingham if they didn't know that Meyer or somebody like Davis would be a guarantee.

Edit: Just saw ESPN, looks like AHF is right. Damn that must suck for Notre Dame, but at the same time it's good, they were going nowhere with Willingham. Just gotta get a better head coach.

Post Count
    http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...v=st&type=lgns

Report: Meyer expected to accept coaching job at Florida

December 3, 2004
    WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (Ticker) - Perhaps Urban Meyer is not headed to Notre Dame after all.

According to a report in the Palm Beach Post, Meyer has been made an offer to replace Ron Zook as Florida's coach and is expected to accept it as early as Friday afternoon.

"It could be any minute," Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen told the newspaper. "I'm waiting for an e-mail."

Meyer, who was hired by Machen, then Utah's president, in 2003, led the Utes to an 11-0 record and the No. 6 ranking in the latest BCS poll released Monday. He met with both Florida and Notre Dame on Thursday, but Florida's offer to Meyer reportedly is worth $1 million more annually than that from Notre Dame, where he spent five years as an assistant.

On Tuesday, Notre Dame fired coach Tyrone Willingham, who posted a 21-15 record in three seasons, including a 6-5 mark in 2004.

"The climate's better down in Florida. The tradition is better at Notre Dame," Meyer's father, Bud, told the newspaper. "I told him, if he wants to win, go to Florida."

Meyer has an escape clause in his contract at Utah which would allow him to leave for Notre Dame.

The 40-year-old Meyer is a candidate for National Coach of the Year as his Utes look to become the first non-BCS conference team to play in a BCS bowl game. Utah has gone 21-2 in Meyer's two seasons on the heels of a 5-6 campaign in 2002.

Effective at the end of this season, Florida fired third-year coach Zook on October 25 - two days after the team suffered an embarrassing loss at Southeastern Conference doormat Mississippi State.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    I don't think ND will ever return to its "glory days", at least not with the higher entrance standards they now have.

I'm glad to see it happen though, I'm tired of their preferential treatment, particularly in the BCS.

Post Count
    Like I said before...ND is the most overrated football program in the country. They get all this hype and exposure, for a team that wins 5 games a year.

Rich and Smooth
    Post Count
    Duff, I quess being the Univesity wiht the most National Championships means nothing. It is by far the most stored program in the country.

BTW, Aggie fans, I hear Fran is on the short list. His two years are almost up in College Station anyway.

Post Count
    Fran is not the second coming of Christ!

Rich and Smooth
    Post Count
    No he definitely is not, but I will laugh my ass off if he follows his previous pattern and bolts after two years.

Post Count
    Hey Fran.....the ND position is open!!!!

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    I read somewhere about Charlie Weis of the NFL Patriots being a very likely candidate. He's an ND grad. Don't remember where though.

Rich and Smooth
    Post Count
    The problem with Weis is that he won't be available until February and they need a coach now for recruiting purposes. ND already looks bad with the loss of Meyer, now they need to go out and get a coach ASAP and a good one at that to save face.

Butch Davis come on down!!!

Thread Information