Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here in NY one of the local sportstalk guys that hates the Spurs and Duncan said today that nomatter how many les Duncan wins he will never put him in his top 10 because the league is so awful compared to years ago. He said he has Duncan in the top 20 but names Cousy as the 10th player in his top 10. Some of these people are insane. So you are going to win more les building around Cousy then Duncan. How many GM's would start their team with Cousy over Duncan. I am guessing if they are sober at the time the answer would be zero. Cousy was a great PG on a team that had an all time great big man already on it. He is not on Duncan's level at all as a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Cousy was playing there were all of two teams in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm...is he re ed? There is much more talent in the NBA nowadays than in years past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask him how many les Cousy won before Bill Russell showed up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousy? Yeah, he'd get owned by Beno.

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousy? Yeah, he'd get owned by Beno.

Thats really no lie...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is in his top 10?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is in his top 10?
    Many of who you would expect he had Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Oscar, Russell, Wilt. He stopped there and that is where he went on his rant about Cousy being in his top 10 and not Duncan, he also said that maybe Shaq and Duncan are equal which means he does not have Shaq in the top 10 either. I think he smoked crack before he went to work today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousy was the top playmaker and highlights guy back in the 50s and 60s. All the kids wanted to dribble like Cousy. Cousy and Duncan cannot be compared very easily because they played different positions, had different roles, etc. With that said...I've seen basketball in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s...the Sports-talk guy is probably just myopic.

Duncan should be considered among the greats in the pivot. Cousy among the greats as a lead guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Northeast and white v Southwest and black. Who is going to win the media lovefest?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "more talent in the NBA nowadays than in years past"

more talent, but it's very diluted over 30 teams vs 8, at the player AND coaching level.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousy was an incredible player, and would be the best shooter in the NBA if he played today. He was an unbelievable dribbler too. Immense talent.

However, just to compare how "awful" the NBA is today, Cousy played on a team that had as many as seven hall of famers on it during a given season playing in their prime, and he was replaced by another hall of famer. Duncan might surpass seven hall of fame teammates for his entire career if you count guys that are way past their prime sitting on the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "more talent in the NBA nowadays than in years past"

more talent, but it's very diluted over 30 teams vs 8, at the player AND coaching level.

Maybe diluted, but there are a lot more players to pick from these days including more colleges, high schools, and international players. You also have to admit it is a LOT harder to win a le when 30 other teams are gunning for you rather than 6 or 7. That's just logic. It makes four les in nine years very impressive. Also, 0.4 seconds and one bad Ginobli foul away from six les in nine years....... not to get ahead of myself though, Spurs still need ONE MORE WIN!

Believe in The Big Three SANANTOJAMES's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousy was an incredible player, and would be the best shooter in the NBA if he played today.

Cousy was a 37% lifetime shooter. He never once shot 40% from the floor for a season.

Great scorer, ballhandler and passer but shooting was his main weakness.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cousy was a 37% lifetime shooter. He never once shot 40% from the floor for a season.

. I knew that.

I forgot it before I remembered it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was the AJ of the 50s early 60s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys, let's not disrespect the players of the past. Comparing players and teams of different eras is moot.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Cousy was playing there were all of two teams in the league.
    Um, there were 8 teams in the league, and that makes it even tougher to dominate your position and opponents, because the talent is not watered down so much that there are horrible teams with horrible players...yes?

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hardly anyone ever shot more than 44%(maybe 1 in 7), and most shot around 33-39% back then. The defenders could practically gang rape the players with the ball...there were no hand check rules, no bent one arm in the back only rules...it was much tougher to score back then because of the liberal defense rules.

I am not saying that I would want Cousy over TD, but I am just telling you why his FG% was in the 30%-40% range

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you had to win about 4 playoff games to win the NBA le when Cousy played. Now it's 16.

This reminds me of Pop's modesty rap about only the Celtics and UCLA being "dynasties." Perhaps, but times were way different in the 60's when those two were happening. During UCLA's run, there were only 16 teams in the NCAA tournament (vs 64 now).

UCLA only had to win 4 tournament games to win the NCAA.

But Cousy was great, no doubt. Arguably the best French point guard of all time. (Well, maybe.)

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask him how many les Cousy won before Bill Russell showed up.
    Excactly

Boston was not great even with Sharman Cousy McCauley and Auerbach on the bench. Bill changed Celtics into dynasty

Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anybody...ANYBODY seen Cousy play???? Just watch a 10 second clip of him dribbling and you'll say " I dribbled better with both hands when I was NINE!!!!" It's sooooooooooooo funny how the old farts think they could have played this game. How pathetic...a FAN of such a pathetic era is more PATHETIC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 8-teams-in-the-league and better-compe ion-allround excuses don not apply for any Celtic, as they had more HOFs than any team in history.

Cousy might have played good teams 10 times a year, but he had Russell, Sam Jones, Sharman, KC Jones, Heinsohn. It's not so bad playing the Syracuse Nationals a dozen times a year when you have 7 players averaging double digits a game.

Winning 4 les as the centerpiece of 4 different teams, and being a perennial contender over the course of a decade in the salary cap era is far more impressive IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anybody...ANYBODY seen Cousy play???? Just watch a 10 second clip of him dribbling and you'll say "S*** I dribbled better with both hands when I was NINE!!!!" It's sooooooooooooo funny how the old farts think they could have played this game. How pathetic...a FAN of such a pathetic era is more PATHETIC.
    Yes. I did see him play. Yes, it is a different era. MrChug, when you were 9 and dribbling, it was a different era than it is now. When you are old and the big event of your day is getting out to go to the Dr., you will probably be the guy that looks back on the Tim Duncan era with fondness while some young fella tries to tell you that you are pathetic and from a pathetic era.

Thread Information