San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice job by the Astros letting him go..

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice job by the Astros letting him go..
    he didn't do very well last year, and he's not a great fielder. much rather have kept lamb and signed loretta. however, ensberg needs to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"He didnt hit good for a small amount of time so he obviously sucks"

He hit well with Tampa, hes hitting well with Baltimore.

Hes always been a solid hitter.

I'd MUCH rather have Huff than Ensberg or Mike Lamb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hes hitting well with Baltimore.

Huff is under .270 with 6 HR and 38 RBI. His OPS is closer to .700 than it is to .800. That's not very good for a guy who hits in the middle of a major league lineup.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, no he's not. He's been a major disappointment for my O's this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would have thought that I could meet a few fellow Oriole fans on a Spurs message board?!!?!?!?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"He didnt hit good for a small amount of time so he obviously sucks"

Hes always been a solid hitter.

I'd MUCH rather have Huff than Ensberg or Mike Lamb
    he wasn't hitting that well with tampa last year, that's why he got dumped for prospects. he did quite well the two years previous, but not last year and it doesn't look like he's doing that well this year either. btw, lamb hit .307 last year and is the same this year with OPS of .836 last year, .870 so far this year. only bad thing about him is his best position is 1B.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would have thought that I could meet a few fellow Oriole fans on a Spurs message board?!!?!?!?
    Well, it seems like we are fewer and farther between these days...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it seems like we are fewer and farther between these days...
    It's certainly nothing like the days of doing things the Oriole Way, when that franchise was the envy of most of baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty safe to say that we can forget about the franchise being relevant for any consistent period of time until Angelos sells the club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though we suck I still root for the O's. Us not getting Girardi REALLY pissed me off big time. I never heard of that McPhail guy, but obviously he is the best GM (or whatever his le is) since we had Pat Gillick during our playoff years. Im thinking that we are going to go ahead and give Treblehorn the rest of the season and evaluate his performance from there. So far he has done okay. I just hope that IF McPhail does decide he wants to bring in another coach, it's not one of those other losers out there, Manual, Baker, Baylor, for all of that I'd rather take a chance on a up and comer, say a Joey Cora or someone along those lines. No more of these perinial losers and baseball idiots EX: Dusty Baker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty safe to say that we can forget about the franchise being relevant for any consistent period of time until Angelos sells the club.

I don't know. From my understanding McPhail is supposed to be calling the shots now. No more of that Flanagan/Duquette crap we have be dealing with the last couple of years. I just hope ole Petey can manage to keep his nose out of the baseball side of it and let McPhail do his job. Kick in the teeth though not getting Girardi though. He's waiting for that Yankee job to open up.. Might not have to wait to long for that to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Early on, Angelos wasn't so bad. He was paying for talent, but it was generally useful talent -- some nice arms, good bats, a capable manager.

At some point, that effort became a pursuit of Yankees and Red Sox scraps and usually players who everyone else seemed to know were beyond their best days. Now it's more a flavor of the month, but there hasn't (for years) seemed to be any coherent plan for building a ballclub. I think at some point, you either hand it over to the kids and let them start building or you go all in and pay top dollar for big talents, but do that shopping with some sort of plan in mind. The calculus is a bit different in the AL East with the two behemoths there -- I'm not sure that anything the Orioles were going to do for the last few years was really going to make any difference in terms of becoming compe ive with those teams. But at some point, you either blow it up and rebuild (assuming that you have a useful farm system) or you make a concerted move to improve in the short term. I don't think the Orioles have done either of those things of late.

I guess a real, meaningful, understandable plan would be nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Early on, Angelos wasn't so bad. He was paying for talent, but it was generally useful talent -- some nice arms, good bats, a capable manager.

At some point, that effort became a pursuit of Yankees and Red Sox scraps and usually players who everyone else seemed to know were beyond their best days. Now it's more a flavor of the month, but there hasn't (for years) seemed to be any coherent plan for building a ballclub. I think at some point, you either hand it over to the kids and let them start building or you go all in and pay top dollar for big talents, but do that shopping with some sort of plan in mind. The calculus is a bit different in the AL East with the two behemoths there -- I'm not sure that anything the Orioles were going to do for the last few years was really going to make any difference in terms of becoming compe ive with those teams. But at some point, you either blow it up and rebuild (assuming that you have a useful farm system) or you make a concerted move to improve in the short term. I don't think the Orioles have done either of those things of late.

I think that Angelos popularity really took a MAJOR hit when he let Mussina go to the hated Yankees. And the thing of it is he was willing to take less money to stay here in Baltimore. Moose was really a fan favorite here. It's like after that horrible Albert (joey) Belle fiasco Angelos has kept his wallet tight. I hear that alot of free agent hopefuls find it impossible in trying to negotiate with the O's FO. Hopefully that will change now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They should keep B-Rob and most of the starting rotation, and trade everything else for whatever they can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 1996/1997 years were the best & worst thing to happen to the O's during the Angelos era.

Mid-way through 1996, with one of the top 3 or 4 payrolls in baseball, the Birds were struggling around .500 and Gillick decided to blow it up and trade Raffy along with some of the other vets. Angelos nixed the deal and actually added Bonilla to the team almost on his own.

On the plus side, this group rallied and won the wild card in 1996. The next year, the same core returned and was easily the best team in baseball in 1997 until Benitez's disastrous 8th inning in game 2 of the ALCS. In fact, that team is still the answer to the trivia question - who was the last team other than NYY to win the AL East? (and wire-to-wire at that)

But the downside is that this convinced Angelos that he was smarter than the GM and led to Gillick's departure a year later. Peter puts in Frank Wren for half a year, fires him, then just lets a couple of his own puppets run the organization into the ground acting mostly on his command.

He's got one of the best franchises in baseball over the past half century, arguably still the best cash generating ballpark in baseball, and he has allowed the on-field product to devalue the organization to the point that when the Nats move right into their backyard, nobody cares that the Orioles object - because they're working on their 10th straight losing season anyways...

Thread Information