Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say he gets a goal from a 30 yard free kick....

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday, I was reading SI.com and came across an excerpt that compared Beckham with George Best... and stopped reading after that. The amount of hype the press likes to throw around (specially in the States) is unbelievable!

pff... comparing Beckham to perhaps the greatest football player the UK has ever produced its just sad how little knowledge of the sport some people have...

To answer the question I think Beckham won't score a goal in his debut

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They compared him to George Best? Are you serious?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen him compared to pele, zidane, ronaldo, maradona and many other greats that have won the world cup. No doubt he is an excellent footballer, but no way a superstar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday, I was reading SI.com and came across an excerpt that compared Beckham with George Best... and stopped reading after that. The amount of hype the press likes to throw around (specially in the States) is unbelievable!

pff... comparing Beckham to perhaps the greatest football player the UK has ever produced its just sad how little knowledge of the sport some people have...

To answer the question I think Beckham won't score a goal in his debut
    Comparing him with Beastie would just be flat out stupid. That's why I'm thinking the reporter was probably comparing the IMPACT Best had when he came to the North American Soccer League. He had a lot of success with the same city that Beckham will be joining - Los Angeles Aztecs. He prime was definately behind him, as with beckham, but he had success scoring and was a great mid fielder. I won't even put it past comparing his impact with Pele. His name alone was create sellout after sellout. The question is how long the dream will live on. Beckham will needs more star attractions to keep fans interested.

Pele was on the same boat. It wasn't until after Giorgio Chinaglia, Beckenbauer, and Alberto arrived that soccer was at its peak in North America with the New York Cosmos.

Word on the street is that Jay Jay Okocha will be joining Real Salt Lake. Blanco will help with attendance. I still think Zidane should join Becks in LA.

I'm going a bit off topic but got a Link for the comparison??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    becks has always been a one dimensional player. He can sell a lot of jerseys, but there are so many out there that are far better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see him scoring in his debut but I see the arena selling more tickets then ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get an assist and the Galaxy will win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Posh bringing the world's most expensive orange slices for halftime.

(I keed, I keed)

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count

(I keed, I keed)

My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count

(I keed, I keed)
    Now that was a ing statement. Very good.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in Southern California and in my sports section today they called him "arguably the world's most famous athlete."

I don't follow soccer and of course I know who he is anyway.
    But the world's most famous athlete?

I must be missing something. Maybe I need to watch.
    Or maybe not. I'm sure my local newspaper will keep me well informed!

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1766937.php

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey, it could be true, but if it is true, its definitely NOT because of his football skills. He's just an above average football player, nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well i think its an assumption based on the fact that football (soccer) is the most watched sport world wide, and he is one of the most recognized faces / names in the sport. So put 2 and 2 together, and you could safely assume that he is the worlds most famous athlete.

Like stated previously though, there are people out there who outplay him by far, that and he is aging, so what ammount of skill he did have, is deteriorating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 goals by intermission

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ***Let me preface this by saying I think David Beckham is the sexiest man alive, and I have thought that long before he even though of coming to the US to play***

Beckham has the POTENTIAL to change the face of football in the US. He will probably be under tremendous pressure to perform at a world-class level in a mediocre league.

I've read many articles that claim Beckham's arrival in the US is a British invasion on the level of the Beatles (I disagree, but that's what I have seen in the media).

Needless to say, I see two possible outcomes for his debut.

#1- He will not perform well, and crumble under the pressure.

#2- He will kick some ass, and America will find a new sport to love.

Personally, I hope the later happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if pele couldn't keep soccer pops in america, no way beckham does
    I disagree. I know what I am about to say is gonna ruffle some feathers.

Pele was not white. He never had a chance, especially during the time he was really popular.

Beckham is white. Unfortunately, he has a better chance to succeed in America because of his skin color.

America's past of racial discrimination and racial tensions still rears its ugly head in today's world.

Just MHO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becks still has a bum ankle and could hardly practice today. Funny how it didn't seem to bother him in any of the weekend media outings. A sign of things to come?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_SOC...37904520070717

CARSON, California (Reuters) - David Beckham, carefully protecting his swollen left ankle, played a low-key role at his first official training session with the Los Angeles Galaxy at the Home Depot Center on Monday.

Watched by a crowd of around 1,000, the England midfielder focused mainly on strengthening exercises and close-range kicking while his new team mates were put through their paces in a full workout.

Although Beckham is eager to make his first appearance for the Galaxy in an exhibition match with FA Cup holders Chelsea Saturday, his new head coach Frank Yallop is adopting a cautious approach.

"Obviously we want to get him in the team as quickly as we can but we don't want to put him in any danger of re-injuring it," Yallop told a news conference.

"I think it has responded after the last two days. The swelling has come down but he's not moving around and feeling as comfortable as he should.

"These types of injuries can quickly heal up and each day it is getting better and better. We are hoping that it heals quickly and he can have some part in the game on Saturday."

Beckham, signed by the Galaxy from Real Madrid on a five-year deal worth $32.5 million (16 million pounds), twisted his ankle while playing for England against Estonia in a Euro 2008 qualifying match last month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. I know what I am about to say is gonna ruffle some feathers.

Pele was not white. He never had a chance, especially during the time he was really popular.

Beckham is white. Unfortunately, he has a better chance to succeed in America because of his skin color.

America's past of racial discrimination and racial tensions still rears its ugly head in today's world.

Just MHO.
    That's why the NBA is so unpopular.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Soccer/futbol whatever.

All I have to say is, Beckham sounds like a prepubescent. He has, by far, the worst voice I think I have ever heard.

And that ney accent, and his stupid wife who has less charisma than an apple tree (and is NOT hot).

I hope he eneters the game, promptly gets tackled and is injured the rest of his career so I dont have to see that anymore on Sportscenter. Futbol Im sure is wonderful the world around, but it is not and never will be in the US (thank God), I dont care what aging import they bring in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer/futbol whatever.

All I have to say is, Beckham sounds like a prepubescent. He has, by far, the worst voice I think I have ever heard.

And that ney accent, and his stupid wife who has less charisma than an apple tree (and is NOT hot).

I hope he eneters the game, promptly gets tackled and is injured the rest of his career so I dont have to see that anymore on Sportscenter. Futbol Im sure is wonderful the world around, but it is not and never will be in the US (thank God), I dont care what aging import they bring in.
    what a ray of sunshine

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today's article in my local paper.
    One camera to do nothing but stay on him!

Beckham's status remains in doubt

By MIGUEL A. MELENDEZ
    The Orange County Register

CARSON – Four light drills.

It hardly cons utes as practice but that's what fans got when they flocked to The Home Depot Center to watch David Beckham's first practice with the Galaxy on Monday afternoon.

It was a game-like experience inside the stadium. There was a security detail, metal detectors at every entrance and concession stands were open. Approximately 1,000 fans attended.

Music blasted through the speakers and the game announcer welcomed fans and made his usual advertisement announcements.

All eyes, flashes and cameras were on Beckham, who took part in some kicking and stretching drills. He was limited because his left ankle is swollen, and he is listed day to day.

Beckham watched the rest of his Galaxy teammates in a scrimmage. Practice concluded with the team and Beckham clapping in a show of appreciation for the fans who attended.

Just like that, it was all over.

The Galaxy, English-power Chelsea FC, Samsung Bluewings of Korea and UANL Tigres of Mexico kick off today's World Series of Football at The Home Depot Center.

But the buzz is surrounding Beckham, who arrived from England after a near month-long break after his final match with Real Madrid.

The international icon is expected to make his debut on Saturday against Chelsea, but team officials are exercising caution before making any commitments.

"Obviously he's not done too much in the last two days," Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said. "We want to get him on the field as quick as we can, but we don't want to put him in any danger.

"He had a long flight; it swelled up a little bit up there. He's not as comfortable as he should be, but these kinds of injuries, they do quickly heal up, especially an ankle injury that has no structure damage."

There was a scheduled news conference after the Galaxy practice but Beckham wasn't made available.

Galaxy forward Landon Donovan shared his thoughts on Beckham's arrival.

"I don't think anyone could have prepared us for what came," Donovan said. "I was watching SportsCenter at home when they cut to him (Beckham) and Victoria coming in the airport.

"Just looking at it and the cameras I was astounded. I can't imagine what the first game will be like when he plays, maybe this weekend or after, but it's going to be interesting."

Donovan said Beckham's arrival won't necessarily mean instant success, but his presence will add a new dimension to the team's dynamic.

The Galaxy (3-5-4) has not played well this season, and any flaws that show up beginning Saturday will be seen by a new international audience because of Beckham's arrival. ESPN will televise the match against Chelsea here and in England, using 19 cameras — including one solely to follow Beckham's every move. The game is sold out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the main #1 reason Beckam came to MLS is because his career is finished and he sucks now. He is being more overhyped than Lebron james

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    the main #1 reason Beckam came to MLS is because his career is finished and he sucks now. He is being more overhyped than Lebron james
    Besides the fact that he is at the top of his game right now.

You have absolutely no diea what you are talking about. Do you watch international soccer?

What part of his game do you find lacking compared to when he was younger? Really curious.
    Last edited by Evan; 07-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.

4 titles 9 years
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides the fact that he is at the top of his game right now.

You have absolutely no diea what you are talking about. Do you watch international soccer?

What part of his game do you find lacking compared to when he was younger? Really curious.
    agreed

Thread Information