Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HE CAN't HANG WITH THIS TEAM! I like him, but he doesn't have the defensive talent to play. He's better suited for the Kings.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gimme a ing break. New players sucking on defense when they join SA is nothing new. It's right up there with death and taxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give the guy a break. He's not known for his defense but, for his 3PT shot. New to the team first 20 games of course he's gonna struggle. Peja has all sorts of shooting slumps and he gets out of them and he's supposdly the best 3PT shooter in the league. Barry's gonna have slumps like Hedo did last year, like every shooter, in time once he get's comftrable he'll start hitting shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like Barry said during the press conference. He's no Bruce Bowen but, he'll try his hardest to be a team defender and do what he was brought here for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beno's progress hinders Barry somewhat because Barry's defensive weaknesses could have been masked better with his size as the backup point. At least with Hedo he brought some semblance of defense in a consistently decent manner (though his price was indeed too steep).

But Jack's wasn't.

Oh well, enough night of the loss ing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great point Marcus, Beno's sub-par D doesn't do Barry any favors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who blames Barry for this is ing stupid...he didn't play after the first quarter of the game...he came in and the score was 12-11 when he left it was 31-29...his one shot attempt got blocked by Radmanovich...his man scored a total of 4 points, both times he was forcing Lewis to the baseline and no help came behind him. And even Sean Elliott had Barry's back on that...not that Lewis is an easy guard anyway.

It was stupid to not give him any more minutes...I notice the games he only plays 6 minutes tend to be close ones and our unusually good O this early in the season tends to stagnate....maybe there's a connection?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is blaming Barry, but we couldn't help but notice all the wide open 3pts when he was playing D or whatever you want to call it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry isn't to be blamed for the loss but at this point he hasn't really been helping things. If he at least had his shot falling then his defensive deficiencieswouldn't be as major of a concern right about now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might be the worst perimeter defender the spurs have had in a long while. I think even Steve Kerr was better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry isn't to be blamed for the loss but at this point he hasn't really been helping things. If he at least had his shot falling then his defensive deficiencieswouldn't be as major of a concern right about now.

Oh he missed his one shot that got blocked...run him out of town.

Bull ...Pop did the same to Steve Kerr... it trade him get some piece of defensive stiff...let's hold our opponents scoreless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might be the worst perimeter defender the spurs have had in a long while. I think even Steve Kerr was better.
    No, Steve Kerr wouldn't even get 6 minutes if it was left up to Pop...remembeer that...and then remember game 4 of the finals when Pop tried to make his point on Kerr and got made fool of by the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whottt a fourttth of the season is over and the man hasn't figured it out. yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good , let Barry rot on the bench then...that way I don't hear stupid mother ers scapegoating the wrong guy for the loss.

You want to hang this loss on someone hang it on the head coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll agree with you since tonight was a night made for the 'Give it to Timmy and watch' offense circa 1997-2003.

You beat a team like Seattle by ramming the ball down the throat of their defense. You beat a team like Seattle by going back to basics and that is feeding Tim Duncan the rock in the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Steve Kerr wouldn't even get 6 minutes if it was left up to Pop...remembeer that...and then remember game 4 of the finals when Pop tried to make his point on Kerr and got made fool of by the media.
    Pop doesn't owe anyone anything. Kerr earned every minute. Again nobody is blaming barry, the fact remains we still need a reliable jump shooter who isn't an atrocious defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just want one of you Pop sucking defensive experts explain one ing thing to me...

Just one ing thing...

We were down 2 points the last time Barry was in the game....Granted...we have up a healthy amount of points...but only 2 more than we gave up in the second...

In the second quarter no Barry we got ourscored by 17 points...

So I want you Pop sucking mother ers to just explain one ing thing to me...how in the are those guys playing good D? How in the is that us clicking on more cylinders offensively or defensively...either we are destroying our O to play D or else those guys aren't playing any better D... How is it that they play good D yet get outscored by 17 points? That's good D? If it is then that is some really ty O we are taking in the trade off.

Personally I think we'd be better off sucking at D a little more if it helps our O keep us from being outscored by 17 points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whott,

lay off the liquor.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defense was horrible the entire first half, actually... It's just that we had some offense in the first quarter, whereas we scored 12 points in the second.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defense was horrible the entire first half, actually... It's just that we had some offense in the first quarter, whereas we scored 12 points in the second.

That's good D? If it is then that is some really ty O we are taking in the trade off.

Personally I think we'd be better off sucking at D a little more if it helps our O keep us from being outscored by 17 points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were within 2 in the 4th quarter without Barry, thanks to the

Defense.

Although, I think Barry shouldve played Point tonight alongside Ginobili and Bowen.

It wouldve negated Antonio Daniels and wouldve given him a chance to get some shots off in a big game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Sonics' style of D is bound to disrupt a motion offense. they have active guards who will attack passing lanes and they have active bigs who are not afraid of bodying up on opponents and crashing the boards. They can stymie a team running a motion style O and really cause their offense to break down which is what happened to the Spurs in the 2nd quarter tonight. Think about it...against teams with weak interior defenses you want to pound the ball into Tim. When you are facing teams with stronger interior D then you want to space the floor and lift Tim.
    Last edited by Marcus Bryant; 12-09-2004 at 12:47 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were within 2 in the 4th quarter without Barry, thanks to the

Defense.

The Spurs got down by 18 in the second quarter alone, also without Barry, and thanks to the defense and the offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Sonics' style of D is bound to disrupt a motion offense. Think about it...against teams with weak interior defenses you want to pound the ball into Tim. When you are facing teams with stronger interior D then you want to space the floor and lift Tim.

Just don't try and tell me Barry is a bigger defensive liablity than any of those other guys when they still give up 29 points in the second, and 26 in the money 4th

...and even if he is...it might be worth it to trade off some D for some O...you might gain more in the trade.

Look, guys who are offensive players and weak D players, are not the antichrist, they have their role to play in the grand scheme of things, and treating true offensive players and shooters like leppers is what has lead us to disappointing playoffs and given us a reputation for choking in the post season.

You need em, they have their role to play, the league allows teams to play zone D to protect weak D players...so why not make use of that rule to benefit our team and get some o out of these guys.

This loss goes on Pop...he waited too long to adjust to the fact that Seattle had our D figured out 100%. And he made dumb subs utions...

I mean who do you blame otherwise?

No one on the team played that badly...you say Barry, fine, but he didn't get us down by 18...the guys who got minutes did not play that badly...so whose fault is it then?

Thread Information