Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something for some reason we havent I agree.

I agree with the 3-2. when you dont have Rasho and Duncan or either or in there, let the speed of the 5 in there be to your advantage.

a 3-2 would be great for periods when Duncan aint out there.

Theres no shame in using a 3-2, and Pop uses a 3-2, I just dont understand why he doesnt use it more often.

Damn millitary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whott,

The answer to your question is that Pop is not flexible. He has his schemes, and that's all you run or you don't play. Our scheme defensively is to force everything baseline and let the bigs clean up.

The irony of that is the whole "force them baseline" thing would be *perfect* for running a 3-2 or 1-2-2 zone with, we'd still have our bigs there to clean up (and I would argue it'd actually make Rasho better defensively as well).

And the even bigger irony...Tonight Barry was forcing Rashard to the baseline textbook perfect and no help was coming...Elliott even broke it down at length, in slow motion and with the telestrater, and explained that Barry wasn't at fault on either of those plays....Malik and Duncan were...next thing you know Barry is out of the game for good...I mean you can sit there and see him forcing Rashard to the baseline...

I think we all agree that Sean Elliott knows exactly what a SF is supposed to do in Pop's defensive system...And after seeing that breakdown I have no doubts that Barry is being unfairly maligned and scapegoated by Pop...If it was Hedo Pop would be sucking him off during time outs...yet Barry, a quality guy and not a head case, who wants to be here and wants to take high pressure shots...is getting treated like crap, and it hurt us tonight offensively.

To be fair he did blow a play by trying to help out in the middle...but he didn't screw up any worse than Duncan and Malik did...
    Last edited by whottt; 12-09-2004 at 02:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that me and Aggie are getting along, things are alot nicer, must be the 16-4 record!!

I agree, again, what the is wrong with using it once in a while, were not talking becoming FliP Saunders being a puss and just saying everytime down the court THREETWO THREETWO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I dont think Pop was too fond of Hedo at the end there Whottt.

Chillllll, take a breath, everything will be alright.

yes there are problems, but do you want everything to be perfect and not have things to work on in December??

Come on....

Plus, Pop likes to up once ina while just to jerk Aggie's chain,

am I right aggie??

hehee.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well anytime he wants to unleash the Brent Barry we thought we were getting when we signed the guy, I'd appreciate the jerking to change to a different subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle is not running a pure zone it's much like every other NBA defense a man to man with some trapping, fronting, and packing the paint as need be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hehe, come on aggie, lighten up a little.

Barry will get more time, this is the tradition for new guards that come to the Spurs, they go through the "tough stubborn Pop" phase not getting many minutes and not getting to show much.

Ala Manu 03 Devin Brown 04.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hehe, come on aggie, lighten up a little.

Barry will get more time, this is the tradition for new guards that come to the Spurs, they go through the "tough stubborn Pop" phase not getting many minutes and not getting to show much.

Ala Manu 03 Devin Brown 04.

I don't appreciate Pop ing with my 65 win prediction while he plays head games with his guards.

I need 65 wins to shut Nikos up and prove he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

Dos Equis
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't remember a time when an opponent didn't score when we run zone, there's a good reason we don't run it becuase it doesn't work and also pop hates it.

Is it possible to overanalyze this game, yes mistakes were made, mostly lack of energy in the first half.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't remember a time when an opponent didn't score when we run zone, .
    2003 NBA finals.

Thread Information