My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs keep interest in unsigned Malone
    Web Posted: 12/09/2004 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
    Express-News Staff Writer

Nothing has changed for the Spurs relative to power forward Karl Malone, who Tuesday ruled out re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers after comments Lakers star Kobe Bryant made, to him and about him, that Malone found insulting.

If Malone opts to return to the NBA at any point this season, the Spurs will be among the teams trying to sign him.

"We were interested in Karl last year," Spurs coach and executive vice-president Gregg Popovich said. "We were interested in him this summer. We've always been interested in Karl."

Popovich said it was foolish to speculate that Malone might disrupt the chemistry of a team that opened the season 16-3.

"I don't know the future," Popovich said, "and I don't speculate on what-ifs."

Backup power forward Malik Rose said he figured some of his playing time might be curtailed if Malone were signed but nevertheless would enjoy playing on a team with Malone.

"If you get to play with one of the 50 greatest players it would be great," Rose said, "even though he'd probably take minutes away from me, which would not be something I'd look forward to."

Allen "auditioning": Seattle guard Ray Allen came into Wednesday's game as the NBA's No. 7 scorer, at 24.1 points per game. His 3-point shooting percentage, 44.0, ranked 11th in the league.

Nice statistics for a player in the final season of a six-year contract that pays him $14.625 million this season.

Allen hasn't talked much about being in his "contract year" but is perfectly aware of the implications of his standout play.

"I feel like now, in the NBA, I'm basically auditioning for a job," Allen said, "interviewing every time I go out. If I'm here, or somewhere else, there's somebody saying, 'Hey, we can use him.' Or it's me showing this (Seattle) team that they really need to keep me here.

"The basketball is doing the talking for me."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd be glad to have him.

Thread Information