I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    evidently, is it impossible to drop the ball on the pivot at second base.

at least once a month, you will see the ball flat-out dropped while attempting to turn a double play, but the umpire will give the pivot man the out and call the drop on the transfer.

this shouldn't be a difficult call, but it is missed constantly. unless you see the second baseman or shorstop clearly establish possession of the ball, error on the side of calling the runner safe. a middle-infielder who is fumbling the ball all over the place on the transfer barely deserves to get the out as is.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    if he bobbles it pulling it out of his glove to throw then it's an out... if he bobbles the catch then he should be safe. you didn't say exactly what happened.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    C. Guillen did it tonight.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i know the rule. and this post was brought up by the play at the end of the twins-tigers game today.

however, you don't have to watch a whole lot of baseball to see an attempted double play where the shortstop just flat out drops the ball (usually getting in position to make the throw before he has established possession) and still gets an 'out' call from the umpire.

it's a call that's missed very frequently.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I am inclined to agree. Guillen never had true possession of the ball. In real time, it looks as though he does/did. But when you slow it down, and look down the line created from 1st to 2nd base, its quite obvious the ball was never in his possession.

Did it matter? Yes, to an extent. But, as they say, "Thems the breaks". Tigers didnt get any breaks in the Seattle series, so they were due. Tag a guy three times....

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's nothing compared to the amount of times they give the force at second on a double play when the 2B/SS doesn't have the ball while his foot is on the bag.

Thread Information