Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that? pussyface's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    does anyone on this gy board still enjoy pugalism?
    I for one am very excited for this fight.

I think both of these guys are all-timers...Hopkins is one of the alltime great middleweights/champions and winky wright is in my opinion one of the most technically sound prac ioners of the sport to ever quietly excel while being painfully boring and failing to capture the public's imagination.

Hopkins is the coolest man and best interview in sports, but objectievly I think this as a dead-even fight. I think it will be very close to a draw and will go to cards. I see almost no chance for a decisive victory for either.

...then again i didn't think Hopkins could beat Mason Dixon Tarver last time out and that was a triumph.

in other news, i was a little embarassed for spurstalk.com when i saw no thread for this potential classic 24 hours prior to round 1. they should just rename the "other sports" forum to "mixed-martial arts erotic fest."

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    they should just rename the "other sports" forum to "mixed-martial arts erotic fest."

Make It So

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The king of the gy s has returned to cry more about the lack of boxing threads! Welcome back!

And yes, I will be watching the fight.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    yeah i want to watch this fight. i didn't start a thread on it because most posters in this forum don't dig boxing. anyone know where they are showing it for free in austin tonight?

edit: bagpipes in austin is having the fight with no cover. a friend of mine is getting it afterall so i'll watch it there. should be good!
    Last edited by atxrocker; 07-21-2007 at 01:52 PM.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    should be a classic btw, but i got winky on this fight.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    what time will the fight actually start as opposed to it's broadcasting start time, anyone have a clue?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    the fight turned out to be super boring. not exactly a favor to the boxing world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boring fight and a horrible decision. I'm curious what match the judges were watching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If hugging were a sport, Hopkins-Wright could be up there as one of the greatest matches of all time.

At least the fighters on the undercard made the first half of the evening entertaining.

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that? pussyface's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think it will be very close to a draw and will go to cards. I see almost no chance for a decisive victory for either.
    i had this one pretty well pegged.
    the biggest buzz-kill of the fight for me was the dressing down it recieived from the hbo crew (2nd place: constant refereeing needed throughout). i appreciated them being candid about not liking the fight, but i thought their criticisms of the fighters were unfair.

they commented as if these guys were two dinosuars who couldn't beat anyone other than a fellow dinosaur. what a joke.

admittedly, both fighters have detereorated in some respects physically (although not "deminished" as kellerman and co. kept saying.)

want proof these guys are still relevent? how about the fact that last time out winky wright took jermaine taylor to school in a fight that was laughably ruled a draw. is jermaine taylor any good or what, hbo?

last time out, stegasauraus hopkins dominated antonio tarver. this is no small feat in its own right.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

a classic case of "styles make fights" and 2 styles predictably not meshing too well. for what its worth, i thought Hopkins won the fight. when they announced the scores (wide margins, unanamous) i felt certain that he had won. throughout the fight i was also very puzzled with the incoherent howard lederman and his inane scoring of the fight that went against everything the rest of the booth was saying.

upside of last night: possible fight for hopkins with welsh white hope next time out.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    thumbs down to my hero for coming out to bull generic rap this time out.
    when he came out to "this is a man's world" for hopkins/taylor 2 it was just about the coolest thing i've seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you guys really think this was going to be an exciting fight? I have total respect for both of them, but remember styles make fights and when you have two defensive minded fighters that equals borefest, which is why I wasn't going to watch. Now next month we have Marquez/Vasquez II that is gonna be fun while it lasts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now next month we have Marquez/Vasquez II that is gonna be fun while it lasts.

That should be a good one.

I also think Forrest/Baldomir this weekend will be a pretty good fight as well.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    does anyone on this gy board still enjoy pugalism? I for one am very excited for this fight.
    more of a fighting fan than a boxing fan...

in other news, i was a little embarassed for spurstalk.com when i saw no thread for this potential classic 24 hours prior to round 1. they should just rename the "other sports" forum to "mixed-martial arts erotic fest."
    LOL...you clearly have some issues that you need to deal with...

but you're right, MMA should have it's own forum..."other sports" isn't worthy to have it...

i had this one pretty well pegged.
    Good call on your part...you all but predicted boredom without saying it. Yet you ripped this forum for not having a thread about this "potential classic" that turned out to be a snoozer...good stuff.

i was also very puzzled with the incoherent howard lederman and his inane scoring of the fight that went against everything the rest of the booth was saying.
    "Incoherent" and old school boxing people seem to go hand in hand...

the fight turned out to be super boring. not exactly a favor to the boxing world.
    Welcome to the "sweet (outdated) science"...

Let me guess...they danced around and had a contest to see who could land more punches in X number of rounds and the guy that landed the most won??

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Welcome to the "sweet (outdated) science"...
    saying boxing is outdated is like saying baseball is outdated.

if they ever came out with a sport thats baseball + metal music + you can try to kick the 2nd and 3rd baseman to free yourself, idiots like you would be saying the same about baseball. both sports are american as apple pie, just apparently not to your mtv-generation, aj soprano style liking.

Let me guess...they danced around and had a contest to see who could land more punches in X number of rounds and the guy that landed the most won??
    this is not how boxing works. if you've ever watched before (and I give you credit for at least admitting that you aren't a fan so you shouldn't be expected to have even a basic understanding of the sport) frequently the numbers don't tell the story of who won a fight and are ignored by judges/commentators in scoring.

often times, a fighter may land well less than half of the punches of their opponent and win decisively either by decision or knockout. Not sure where this comment came from other than ignorance.

"compubox" numbers, as even a casual boxing observer understands, only tell a fraction of the story and are by no means a sole basis for judgement by refs, commentators, etc.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    saying boxing is outdated is like saying baseball is outdated.

if they ever came out with a sport thats baseball + metal music + you can try to kick the 2nd and 3rd baseman to free yourself, idiots like you would be saying the same about baseball. both sports are american as apple pie, just apparently not to your mtv-generation, aj soprano style liking.

this is not how boxing works. if you've ever watched before (and I give you credit for at least admitting that you aren't a fan so you shouldn't be expected to have even a basic understanding of the sport) frequently the numbers don't tell the story of who won a fight and are ignored by judges/commentators in scoring.

often times, a fighter may land well less than half of the punches of their opponent and win decisively either by decision or knockout. Not sure where this comment came from other than ignorance.

"compubox" numbers, as even a casual boxing observer understands, only tell a fraction of the story and are by no means a sole basis for judgement by refs, commentators, etc.
    I doubt if anybody will ever come up with a more entertaining "baseball" than what we currenly have. That's been done with MMA...it's a more entertaining combat sport...a fight instead of a boxing match. I love baseball actually...

I don't get your "baseball + metal music + you can try to kick the 2nd and 3rd baseman" comment. So THAT is to baseball as MMA is to boxing??

Glad to see you picked up on my compubox sarcasm...I know compubox numbers doesn't equal victory necessarily. I used to be a boxing fan and I still watch the occasional big fight (streamed for free of course), but more often than not I'm left incredibly disappointed and bored...

So in conclusion, you're feeling pretty good about the current state of boxing?

Or are you lashing out at MMA because the opposite is true??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a huge boxing fan and gotta say this is the first time in 3 years boxing has some momentum.

The welterweight division is out of this world. You have a bunch of awesome records and fighters about to fight each other over the next 2 years. This is very similar to the Oscar, Trinidad, Vargas, Winky Wright, Cortey, Mosley days.

This is a sport that desperately needs a shot of adreneline and i think we've got some.

We have: Miguel Cotto, Paul Williams, Shane Mosely, Antonio Margarito, Kermitt Cintron, Floyd Mayweather, and Ricky Hatton. All these guys are about to mix it up and though not household names, the fights have been and should continue to be exciting. Also, Vargas vs Mayorga should be fun.

Also, you have fighters in the lighter weight classes like Juan Diaz and Manny Pacquiao who should fight soon.

Nothing major like Sugar Ray vs Marvin Hagler or Tyson vs Holifield, so mostly only fans of the sport will appreciate it.

Long-term boxing desperately needs some USA olympic champions. Julio Cesear Chavez Jr. being real good wouldn't hurt either.

For my MMA brothers, I'm happy MMA has filled some of the void. Nevertheless, for me an excellent boxing match will always be more thrilling than an excellent MMA match because boxing matches are longer and have the potential for more back and forth.

That doesn't mean much because I prefer a thrilling college football game over a thrilling Spurs game and I'm a spurs nut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boring match....

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    awesome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is what's with all the penis envy from MMA fans? Everytime boxing is mentioned you get a bunch of MMA fans trying to talk the sport down to build themselves up. You guys act like Dallas Mavs fan...oh I almost forgot. Well as a spurs fan I'm used to other fans craving the attention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is what's with all the penis envy from MMA fans? Everytime boxing is mentioned you get a bunch of MMA fans trying to talk the sport down to build themselves up. You guys act like Dallas Mavs fan...oh I almost forgot. Well as a spurs fan I'm used to other fans craving the attention.
    Did you even read the thread? Here's how it started.
    I for one am very excited for this fight.

I think both of these guys are all-timers...Hopkins is one of the alltime great middleweights/champions and winky wright is in my opinion one of the most technically sound prac ioners of the sport to ever quietly excel while being painfully boring and failing to capture the public's imagination.

Hopkins is the coolest man and best interview in sports, but objectievly I think this as a dead-even fight. I think it will be very close to a draw and will go to cards. I see almost no chance for a decisive victory for either.

...then again i didn't think Hopkins could beat Mason Dixon Tarver last time out and that was a triumph.

Now you tell me. Who has the "penis envy"?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Who is creating threads bashing the other sport? Is it boxing fans or mma fans?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Perhaps you missed pussyface's original statements in this thread???

they should just rename the "other sports" forum to "mixed-martial arts erotic fest."
    He had to expect some shots from the MMA side of the fence after that bull$hit...

and it certainly goes both ways. Boxing fans put down MMA, MUCH more harshly than MMA fans do boxing IMO. Some boxing fans try to dismiss it as a fad, bar fight, or " erotic fest." Some MMA fans say that boxing is dying or that it's boring. Which sounds more like "penis envy?" Boxing fans have much more venom for MMA than MMA fans do for boxing. Boxing is the established combat sport...it's org's and fans feel threatened by MMA (they wouldn't talk about it if they weren't). Not the opposite...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Triple ownage all in the same minute

Cornbread...we typed the same $hit for the most part

Thread Information