Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    He is like if you gave Europe Michael Jordan in 2001 when he started playing for Washington. So washed up that nobody else wants him, and since they would think he is still great, they would promote the out of him.

Except Beckham was never the best soccer player in the world, just the most marketable.

but atleast Grandpa Jordan was watchable, something that can't be said for any type of soccer.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Soul_Patch

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I played soccer thru HS and even a few indoor and outdoor seasons since then, but I just can't watch it...I can't handle the dives, flops, and stretcher-offs...it's just ridiculous at the highest levels of the game. Makes it unwatchable for me...

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I played soccer thru HS and even a few indoor and outdoor seasons since then, but I just can't watch it...I can't handle the dives, flops, and stretcher-offs...it's just ridiculous at the highest levels of the game. Makes it unwatchable for me...
    On a related note, soccer's influence is killing the NHL and NBA. When you import Euros, you import flopping/diving of the highest magnitude.

Its not so much a problem in hockey, although it does happen quite often. The balance though is that you'll get your ass kicked, or even worse, the next time you hit the ice, the other team will cheapshot you.

In the NBA, there is no recourse for the players that actually want to play. So it just spreads like a virus throughout the league because one team that does not flop will not be as successful as the team that does (when it comes to getting the call).

All in all, flopping/diving make me sick. And there is no worse offender in the world than soccer. Actually soccer takes it to the worst extreme.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I like how when they get hurt they take them off on the stretcher

notice the sheer pain this guy is in. He looks like he can't stand to be alive

Here is Daunte Culpepper moments after a torn ACL

Here is McNabb (check out his knee)

Here is LeCharles Bentley (he almost died from this, no kidding)

Another Soccer stud

This guy apparently can't breathe anymore, so he must be carted off

Chris Simms ruptures his spleen, but still finishes the game
    Last edited by Thunder Dan; 07-23-2007 at 03:25 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I can't really disagree with either of you guys but I can say the EPL is doing a much better job of stopping diving than ever before last season. They just ignore it a lot.

But I will say that diving and flopping in the NHL 2 years ago is worse than the epl has ever been.

Anyway, the EPL starts in about a week and I can't wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it should be noted*and i didnt read the wohle thread so sorry if its a repeat*that beckham isnt noted mostly for scoring, or so ive read in magazines.
    either way soccer is stupid, boring and not going to become popultar in america because of him. golf is lucky that america has attached themselves to tiger, and i think thats only bc he's homegrown and also made himself from nothing. most people on here dislike nascar, whereas i like it, and if people start to like soccer more than nascar bc of this chode, well i guess ill have to go to la and regulate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer players don't play the game with any helmets (save for Cech) or pads other than shin guards. Most of the time when I see a soccer played laid out it is because of a collision between two players running at full speed, or two guys going up for a header and knocking domes. If we want to discuss the toughness of football players then how about playing without any pads and helmets (aka rugby)?

Anyways, not sure what the post above was trying to prove, other than ignorance.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Soccer players don't play the game with any helmets (save for Cech) or pads other than shin guards. Most of the time when I see a soccer played laid out it is because of a collision between two players running at full speed, or two guys going up for a header and knocking domes. If we want to discuss the toughness of football players then how about playing without any pads and helmets (aka rugby)?

Anyways, not sure what the post above was trying to prove, other than ignorance.

just saying how NFL players don't act like pussies when they are hurt, they take it like men. Soccer played act hurt the whole way to the locker room, then they come back and keep playing.

What pads do you need in soccer anyway?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NFL players also dont run, constantly for 90 minutes. They have a 5 second play and stop for 5 minutes to talk.

in pro soccer, if you take a knock, and are down on the ground, its a good chance you may want to use that opportunity to catch your breath. Ill completely agree that the flopping in soccer is absurd ( o argentina), but you cannot blame them when they are down, for playing it up a bit to get their team a break for water / etc...remember, there are no time outs in soccer...at all...and only a few subs utions allowed...think of the flops as time outs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The misnomer that soccer players run for 90 minutes cracks me up everytime I hear it. It leads everyone to believe that each player out there constantly sprints back and forth, non-stop, for an hour and a half. Goalies are normally the only players that are in the entire game and we all know they aren't running anywhere. Just like in football, it depends whether you are on offense or defense if you are running. There is plently of getting into position, jogging waiting for a pass, waiting for side outs or whatnot, and subs utions. Not to mention the game is 2 halves of 45 minutes with a half time of 15 minutes.

Soccer players do NOT run constantly for 90 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The misnomer that soccer players run for 90 minutes cracks me up everytime I hear it. It leads everyone to believe that each player out there constantly sprints back and forth, non-stop, for an hour and a half. Goalies are normally the only players that are in the entire game and we all know they aren't running anywhere. Just like in football, it depends whether you are on offense or defense if you are running. There is plently of getting into position, jogging waiting for a pass, waiting for side outs or whatnot, and subs utions. Not to mention the game is 2 halves of 45 minutes with a half time of 15 minutes.

Soccer players do NOT run constantly for 90 minutes.

Ok so im curious...lets buy your argument of they dont "run" constantly for 90 minutes.

When do they get water breaks? or timeouts to discuss moves? or just a break for air?

they can make 3 total subs all game long

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    give it up soulpatch.

They will never understand soccer if they don't give it a chance. It is so ignorant to bash something you don't know anything about.

It would be like someone overseas coming here making fun of the nba and sayings its nothing but guys throwing a ball at a circle. But they played it in grade school so they udnerstand it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, people from abroad acting like they are the only ones that know anything about the sport, acting like elitest, but making fun of Americans in the same breath for liking 'their' sports. Hypocrits, the lot of you.

Give it up, Americans, foreigners will never be able to comprehend why Americans see them as simple minded for only being able to follow one sport.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, people from abroad acting like they are the only ones that know anything about the sport, acting like elitest, but making fun of Americans in the same breath for liking 'their' sports. Hypocrits, the lot of you.

Give it up, Americans, foreigners will never be able to comprehend why Americans see them as simple minded for only being able to follow one sport.
    Mike you've constantly proven you don't know about football, so what the are you complaining about?? You just even went so far as to say the goalie is the only one who plays the entire game, when the fact is each team gets to sub 3 players out of the 11 on the field. That means that 8 play ALL GAME LONG you moron. Please refrain from opening your mouth about things you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike you've constantly proven you don't know about football, so what the are you complaining about?? You just even went so far as to say the goalie is the only one who plays the entire game, when the fact is each team gets to sub 3 players out of the 11 on the field. That means that 8 play ALL GAME LONG you moron. Please refrain from opening your mouth about things you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about.
    All game long. Do they run constantly for 90 minutes?

No. Thanks for playing.

Go be an asshole to your mom again, she looks like she needs it. She didn't do such a good job with you, because you obviously didn't learn any manners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All game long. Do they run constantly for 90 minutes?

No. Thanks for playing.

Go be an asshole to your mom again, she looks like she needs it. She didn't do such a good job with you, because you obviously didn't learn any manners.
    most of these guys are right though, you don't know much about soccer. there is more running in soccer than just about any sport and if you include jogging as some type of running, then yeah, they pretty much are running the entire time. even when there are throw ins or corners and goal kicks, players are running for position. besides if you look at the game as a whole, these type of 'stoppage' plays rarely cons ute more than 5% of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, I love how the only explaination you can give as to why someone doesn't like something is that they don't know anything about it. Would you like to see my USSF certification? I guess the reason I didn't know that the pros only get 3 subs is that youth soccer gets unlimited.

No, they don't run constantly for 90 minutes. Don't try to spin your way around it. The phrase "run constantly for 90 minutes" is utterly and completely false, no matter how you spin it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they don't run constantly for 90 minutes. Don't try to spin your way around it. The phrase "run constantly for 90 minutes" is utterly and completely false, no matter how you spin it.
    Ok, well in American football, you run a play for 4-6 seconds and you rest for 40. Does that make them better athletes? Also, they only play 16 times a year (compared to soccer players that play league games, inner-league cup games, champions leauge/uefa cup games, and national team summer games ALL YEAR ROUND); so are baseball players better athletes than football players? Your argument is ignorant and stupid. You don't know soccer, so don't post and act like you do. Most baseball and football players can't run 10 kilometers a game; the average soccer player runs more than that per game. Just face it, Americans are afraid of change. They feel as if soccer is infringing on their culture.

Have fun watching roid-using cheaters play baseball and felons play American football. At least soccer players respect their sport, fanbase, and more importantly, COUNTRY OF BIRTH. How many times can you say that about American sports, and more importantly, American national teams recently?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Americans need something EXTREME to bring them together and feel "proud to be Americans." They need something like a natural disaster or terrorist attack to feel proud of themselves. What does the rest of the world need? A World Cup game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can take a boy out of Okie State but you can't take the Okie State out of the boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, well in American football, you run a play for 4-6 seconds and you rest for 40. Does that make them better athletes? Also, they only play 16 times a year (compared to soccer players that play league games, inner-league cup games, champions leauge/uefa cup games, and national team summer games ALL YEAR ROUND); so are baseball players better athletes than football players? Your argument is ignorant and stupid. You don't know soccer, so don't post and act like you do. Most baseball and football players can't run 10 kilometers a game; the average soccer player runs more than that per game. Just face it, Americans are afraid of change. They feel as if soccer is infringing on their culture.

Have fun watching roid-using cheaters play baseball and felons play American football. At least soccer players respect their sport, fanbase, and more importantly, COUNTRY OF BIRTH. How many times can you say that about American sports, and more importantly, American national teams recently?

Here's the best part. I never said American sports run more, ya'll just put that in my mouth.

Soccer players respect their sport and fanbase hahaha. Yeah, that's why they change teams and nations as often as backup NFL quarterbacks change teams. Country of Birth?? What country is Beckham oplaying in now? What country did he play in last year? How many times to players skip country to get more money? That's a complete laff. Not to mention the fanbase that makes monkey calls and throw bananas when Africans come to town, and corrupt franchises that are run by organized crime and constantly declare bankruptcy.

By all account, the only reason you soccer peeps give as to why soccer players are better athletes is because they run so much. That's the only thing you can go back on. They run all the time. Run run run. Well, by your own logic, a marathon runner is a better athlete than a soccer player, because he runs constantly for hours.

Boy, I'd love to see a marathon runner, or even Beckham for that matter (who you keep tellig me is not only the world's best athlete but best soccer player), take a forearm from someone like Boozer or Malone or stand his ground at home plate with Ryan Howard or Prince Fielder barrelling towards them full speed to knock the out of em, or even in full gear in a backfield waiting for Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis to grind them into the dirt. That'd be fun.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the best part. I never said American sports run more, ya'll just put that in my mouth.

Soccer players respect their sport and fanbase hahaha. Yeah, that's why they change teams and nations as often as backup NFL quarterbacks change teams. Country of Birth?? What country is Beckham oplaying in now? What country did he play in last year? How many times to players skip country to get more money? That's a complete laff. Not to mention the fanbase that makes monkey calls and throw bananas when Africans come to town, and corrupt franchises that are run by organized crime and constantly declare bankruptcy.

By all account, the only reason you soccer peeps give as to why soccer players are better athletes is because they run so much. That's the only thing you can go back on. They run all the time. Run run run. Well, by your own logic, a marathon runner is a better athlete than a soccer player, because he runs constantly for hours.

Boy, I'd love to see a marathon runner, or even Beckham for that matter (who you keep tellig me is not only the world's best athlete but best soccer player), take a forearm from someone like Boozer or Malone or stand his ground at home plate with Ryan Howard or Prince Fielder barrelling towards them full speed to knock the out of em, or even in full gear in a backfield waiting for Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis to grind them into the dirt. That'd be fun.
    jesus... seriously, how old are you?? You REALLY don't know ANYTHING about football do you?? Let me get this straight, by what you've written here, you've made it painfully clear that you are clueless about the rules of the game, the difference between club leagues and national tournaments and on top of that you're going to start making up now?? Who in the is saying Beckham is the best athlete in the world?? Are you on crack?? Nobody here is even saying he's the best football player! In fact, check the le of the thread Mickey... let me give you a piece of advice, if you ain't got anything intelligent to say... STFU!! There, how's that for manners

Yeah, that's why they change teams and nations as often as backup NFL quarterbacks change teams. Country of Birth?? What country is Beckham oplaying in now? What country did he play in last year? How many times to players skip country to get more money?
    I rest my case, you're so ing clueless about the subject, you're on par with NBADan talking about Chavez.

Next time, try and educate yourself on the subject at hand before opinionating, you'll save yourself the embarrasment of looking this stupid.

Go cry to your mommy about manners son, this is a forum! more to the point, this is Spurstalk, flies everywhere here, next time try not to step in front of the fan, k?
    Last edited by MaNuMaNiAc; 08-01-2007 at 10:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Professional players typically cover around 10 km during the course of a game. The intensities are usually listed as walking (25% of the total distance), jogging (37%), sprinting (11%), backing (6%) and cruising ("running with manifest purpose and effort" 20%). The highest intensity, sprinting, is between 10-40 meters ac ulating about 800-1000 meters. The total pat¬tern of movements number about 850 distinct activities. This then corresponds to 1 change in direction or intensity about every 5-6 seconds. A player sprints about once every 90 seconds and works at the higher intensities of sprinting/cruising about once every 30 seconds. Over half the total distance is covered in the first half.
    http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts...physiology.doc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh...and to those american's who dont know the conversion rate...that is about 6.3 miles.

Thread Information