Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As usual you overreact to any comment. I just used your quote because it sums up the whole Malone hatas argument, not because I hate you.

The only thing I've seen as argument against Malone is he choked in '98. He didn't choke, he had victory taken away by the best player ever in the history of the game, a guy who won SIX rings.

Like I said, you're talking apples and oranges. Karl had it taken away by *Jordan*, who just had the will to win and dominated when it mattered.

We had it taken away last year by the likes of Slava, Mr. Vanessa Williams, Derek .4 Fisher, and that little punk ass Devean "I Should Get Treated by the Refs like Kobe Goes Even Though I'm a Scrub" George.

And it happened to us more than once, yet Karl is somehow a loser for getting beat by *Michael Jordan*.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy who isn't going to get up and down the floor quick enough to defend the Nowitski's and Marion's of the league?
    This isn't a valid argument, because neither of the people you mentioned would be guarded by Karl.

Malone would be used to guard the Boozers, Garnetts, Amares, Fortsons, Brands, and should we get to the end either the Wallaces, Goodens, or Shaqs of the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't a valid argument, because neither of the people you mentioned would be guarded by Karl.

Malone would be used to guard the Boozers, Garnetts, Amares, Fortsons, Brands, and should we get to the end either the Wallaces, Goodens, or Shaqs of the world.
    Well, if he ends up starting like Ghost is advocating, he would be required to spend some time guarding the other team's starting power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not necessarily. He'll match up with whoever we feel he can match up better with, same thing for Tim.

Tim guards Dirk at times (as does Bowen, and Devin of late) when we play for Dallas. Malone would take Rasho's current matchup of Dampier.

I don't think we'll know what we're going to do against Phoenix until we get to play them, because I don't think Rasho is a good matchup for either of Phoenix's starting big men, Tim even has problems with Amare (but I don't see him guarding matrix).

Phoenix is the kind of game I think we'll be better off going "small" and playing Tim at center, Bowen at PF, and slide Devin in to handle Johnson at the 3.

But to say we shouldn't get Karl because there's one bad matchup for him out of the entire west is pretty shortsighted IMO. May as well bench Tony because he can't handle Marbury, and Manu because he's had problems with Kobe as late. Oh, and Tim's had problems with KG, so we better bench him too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, I'm agreeing with Ghostwriter and Marcus on this one...

Put Karl through some workouts, get him a physical, and if he's 100% healthy, sign the boy up.

Why?

1. His potential upside is huge. Karl would still command respect from the refs. He can still hit an outside shot. If healthy he can still rebound and run the floor. He can still defend 90% of the post players in the league. He's a great passer. Karl will stretch defenses and ease things for Duncan better than Rasho. Rose can continue to be the sparkplug off the bench.

2. He won't cost the Spurs anything. As others have mentioned, he'll be earning a prorated vet minimum that likely will be supplemented by the league. I'd be more expensive to sign to a contract than Karl Malone.

3. He won't create the controversy everyone is worried about because his coach is not going to be named Jackson or Hill. Pop isn't going to let a player walk on him, no matter who it is. I have faith in the Spurs and their coach to keep Karl under control.

4. I understand there are a lot of little mexican girls in San Antonio so Karl should stay well fed.

PARKER HAS RE-SIGNED!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will just keep is head to the game and go low profile

Converse All-Star
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was the guy holding the ball in 98

WITH THE LEAD

and Jordan took the ball from??

Oh yeah, clutch Malone.
    Jordan took the ball from him... This is Jordan we're talking about... You can't fault a guy to much for Jordan getting over on him... Jordan wins; everyone else loses.

Originally I was against this... but after he humiliated Kobe on the National Stage? GET HIM!!!!

This would make the Laker/Spur rivalry even sweeter...

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "He can still hit an outside shot."

Spurs FA's lose their earlier shooting proficiency as they re-learn basketball "The Pop Way" their first season, during which they shoot 15% from the floor and FT line, and get minimal minutes. Sort like a religious boot camp where <KoolAidGuru/ex-Marine-now-minister/comet-hitchhiker> destroys your personality, and then builds it back under his control. There is probably some kind of shot-o-toxin in the ink used to sign the Spurs' contracts to facilitate the initial collapse.

Malone will be ready for the 2006 NBA playoffs.

"lot of little mexican girls in San Antonio"

A lot of them were at Rolling Oaks Mall to see Tony Monday night. The "fan-zine" demographic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    um ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will just keep is head to the game and go low profile
    This thread is full of assumptions, but yours is the biggest one. I do not think that Karl "I'm a warrior" Malone is capable of going low profile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He managed to do so last year. It wasn't him who was ing about playing time and money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a very selective memory. He might have not ed about those two subjects but it's impossible to keep Karl away from a TV camera.

Mothers with young children are advised to get out of is path whenever a reporter switches on the camera light in a building with Malone in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The cameras were going to him. Again, he wasn't causing any problems for the team in the lockerroom, in fact he was a positive and focused presence and that is what matters most. You can worry about extraneous bull about TV interviews or whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and we know that the media never go for sensationalism.

A guy that uses the word I so much in any interview is a disturbance to the team wether you agree to it or not. I mean everytime he appeared on the screen last year he I had flashbacks to the WWF.

And let me ask you this: Let's suppose his injury is worse than expected or that he's not in shape and Pop puts him on the bench, do you really expect him to keep quite when asked about it by the media? Or if he can't fit into the Spurs "D first" system who would he blame? Himself? Would he resist the temptation to critisize Pop or the team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy that uses the word I so much in any interview is a disturbance to the team wether you agree to it or not
    That's a bit of a stretch.

And let me ask you this: Let's suppose his injury is worse than expected or that he's not in shape and Pop puts him on the bench, do you really expect him to keep quite when asked about it by the media? Or if he can't fit into the Spurs "D first" system who would he blame? Himself? Would he resist the temptation to critisize Pop or the team?
    Apparently he was able to keep his ego in check last season. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to do so again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There wouldn't be any real backlash if the Spurs got rid of Malone due to his "injuries" if he didn't fit into their system.

Heck, they did that with my boy Spider and his deteriorating hip three years ago. Chuck and his bad hip averaged 24 points a game in Europe last year.

If Malone is signed and doesn't fit the Spurs needs I'm sure they can come up with some reason to remove him from their presence. Remember, this is CIA POP we're talking about.

Why would you not want Malone for half a million bucks? My guess is that he can outdo Rasho's 7 pts and 6 boards a night if you eliminated his knee injury by cutting his legs off.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 12-14-2004 at 06:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a very selective memory. He might have not ed about those two subjects but it's impossible to keep Karl away from a TV camera.
    Let's see, you have an 85 time All-Star and former MVP playing as the third head of the three headed monster that was the Lakers.

Said All-Star was always willing to talk to the press when Kobe and Shaq were having their fights in the locker room, and damn it if Karl didn't usually take responsibility when LA lost.

Yeah, what a limelight hog.

Karl should just blame others and get them traded, then he'd be more like the kind of guy that Spurs fans have come to expect from watching Pop after our playoff failures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the problem isn't detroit for you spursies.

minnesota is still up there. fear the wolves. KG is still the reigning MVP. " The real reality is that it was Casell who went into a zone for 20 games or so and carried your team.

Garnett is a thug who after hitting teammates one day is going to lose it. He has never carried a team to the point of TD period. TD remains head and shoulders above a very talented Garnett. TD has been about winning his whole career (highest percentage by any player in any team sport since entering league over 5 + year period - source Sam Smith, Chicago Tribune)

When and if Garnett ever takes any team to the real finals, much less wins a championship (here's betting he will not) bring a real take.

MadDoc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand all the reasons why Malone would be good for the Spurs, but he's still EVIL, and I still don't want him here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see, you have an 85 time All-Star and former MVP playing as the third head of the three headed monster that was the Lakers.

Said All-Star was always willing to talk to the press when Kobe and Shaq were having their fights in the locker room, and damn it if Karl didn't usually take responsibility when LA lost.

Yeah, what a limelight hog.

Karl should just blame others and get them traded, then he'd be more like the kind of guy that Spurs fans have come to expect from watching Pop after our playoff failures.
    Sorry but weren't the Lakers billed as the four headed monster?

You make it sound like he was taking one for the team. Sorry again but I distinctly remember quite a few on-court interviews where he was blowing his own horn and usually talking about how much of an average-honest-down-to-earth-hard-working-warrior-whos-only-part-of-the-team he was. I mean with all the TV coverage you have over there am I really the only one who noticed how much Karl likes to cal himself a warrior?

And I sort of agree with you Ed that the Spurs would probably do something about him if my scenario would happen, but it would happen only after a lot of ing in the media and that would be a distraction to the team which is what I'm saying from the beginning.

Thread Information