Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I hope futbol never takes off in the US. It gives me something to watch abroad that I can't watch here - I like that in my vacations.
    Theres always Eastenders!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    case closed. With this you showed how ignorant you are about the subject. You don't like it, because you don't care to learn about it, plain and simple. You opinion on the subject just went from poor to irrelevant.
    See, this is the part I love best. Soccer people say they are being objective about all sports and anti soccer people aren't. They have such an elitest opinion and think they are the only people who know anything about anything, and that Americans who don't like soccer are just silly poo-poos. Then those same soccer people turn around and show their true colors.

I really don't give a if it's big in the United States or not. I actually think it's hilarious that most Americans care more about women's softball and other sports (or games; like golf, poker, hot dog eating contests, bowling, billiards, etc...). The only thing that gets to me is listening to the ESPN bags speak of how Barry Bonds is about the break the "most important record in ALL of sports." You've gotta be in kidding me...

USA doesn't need soccer, and soccer doesn't need the USA; plain and simple. I mean, being a soccer fanatic, I don't want soccer to turn into a in Hollywood parade as it did when Beckham "arrived" in the USA. They overhyped and diluded his coming to the MLS, mostly because of what The_Worlds_Finest said: Americans want INSTANT GRATIFICATION. They want to see a pretty face, with his pretty-faced wife, playing the world's most popular, most important sport for ONE GAME. It's not the fault of the Americans that they don't "ACCEPT" soccer as an important sport; it's just that they have choices. They are Red Sox fans in the summer, Patriots fans in the fall/winter, and Celtics fans in the spring. The rest of the world refers to "sports" as ONE sport: soccer.

I have to be honest, I think most Americans can handle and even might like soccer. However Americans are stubborn and headstrong, and we hate people from parts unknown telling us how we should love soccer because everyone else does. The true reason we don't like soccer is because the rest of the world says we should... are most of the time are s about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However Americans are stubborn and headstrong, and we hate people from parts unknown telling us how we should love soccer because everyone else does.
    True, your average American couldn't point out Argentina on a labeled world map.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    True, your average American couldn't point out Argentina on a labeled world map.
    I could. I've been to a Chelsea match in England, which would be considered the highest level, and it was still boring. The crowd is more entertaining than the reason you are there. They have to keep themselves entertained by singing and chanting the whole game. It's one of those sports where the people who play it are really the only ones who care about it, kind of like golf. Football in America is different, and there is a part of the essay I posted that talks about it: we see football players on T.V. and know they could kill us. And we are somehow drawn to that. Soccer players are just that, soccer players. They might be the best conditioned athletes in the world, but we could all be them if we wanted to, all we would have to do is eat right and not smoke and we are well on our way to becoming soccer players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best thing about the match I went to in Russia (Zenit v Spartak) was that someone in the crowd threw a flare right into the foam pads used for the high jump, and they lit right up. They were, in turn, right next to the advertisement boards all around the field, so they started going up in flames as well. The game actually was stopped for quite awhile because of the huge bonfire. Good times.

Probably true. If I were to give them feedback from my jaunts there, I would tell them to not spend much time in Buenos Aires unless they liked the dirty parts of NYC and LA, but to stay in Bariloche.

I guess it is just a sign of what's going on in the world when your average American doesn't know where most Latin American countries are, and your average Argentinian couldn't tell you where Iraq or Israel or Taiwan is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer players are just that, soccer players. They might be the best conditioned athletes in the world, but we could all be them if we wanted to, all we would have to do is eat right and not smoke and we are well on our way to becoming soccer players.
    I bet you can't even dribble a soccer ball.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I bet you can't even dribble a soccer ball.
    I played indoor soccer up until high school, I bet I can. I bet I can't make a 3 pointer in an NBA game, hit a 90mph fastball (or 85mph curve) or catch a pass across the middle of a NFL game even though I played both basketball and football in high school and baseball till my sophmore year in college

I bet I couldn't even take down a QB in the NFL if I got a open shot at him.
    Last edited by Thunder Dan; 07-25-2007 at 12:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably true. If I were to give them feedback from my jaunts there, I would tell them to not spend much time in Buenos Aires unless they liked the dirty parts of NYC and LA
    You could, but you would be wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could. I've been to a Chelsea match in England, which would be considered the highest level, and it was still boring. The crowd is more entertaining than the reason you are there. They have to keep themselves entertained by singing and chanting the whole game. It's one of those sports where the people who play it are really the only ones who care about it, kind of like golf. Football in America is different, and there is a part of the essay I posted that talks about it: we see football players on T.V. and know they could kill us. And we are somehow drawn to that. Soccer players are just that, soccer players. They might be the best conditioned athletes in the world, but we could all be them if we wanted to, all we would have to do is eat right and not smoke and we are well on our way to becoming soccer players.

Of course we could all be pro soccer players, it's no big deal. Having the skill to pla at the international level is just the minute part of it, the rest is just cake. You're right.

If you wanna be like that, we could all be professional football players as well. It's not like it requires a 6'8" frame, height sure does help in football, but nothing like in basketball. All you gotta do is lift your ass off and take supplements to get huge. Keep in somewhat shape and have the right at ude, sure, if I started over I could be a professional football player.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    My take is probably more credible in here than mosts.

I played soccer since I was 5 till I was about 11.

SOCCER IS ING BORING!

who can watch a sport where the score can end up 0-0

SOCCER!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My take is probably more credible in here than mosts.

I played soccer since I was 5 till I was about 11.

SOCCER IS ING BORING!

who can watch a sport where the score can end up 0-0

SOCCER!
    Baseball can end 0-0 just as easily.

They just keep you at the stadium and you have to sit through extra innings, and by the time you leave you saw yourself a good 6 hours of exciting baseball.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Of course we could all be pro soccer players, it's no big deal. Having the skill to pla at the international level is just the minute part of it, the rest is just cake. You're right.

If you wanna be like that, we could all be professional football players as well. It's not like it requires a 6'8" frame, height sure does help in football, but nothing like in basketball. All you gotta do is lift your ass off and take supplements to get huge. Keep in somewhat shape and have the right at ude, sure, if I started over I could be a professional football player.
    you could be a pro in the MLS. All you have to do is play soccer for you whole life and you are already well on your way to being MLS material. All of Americas great athletes play football and basketball, they want no part in soccer. So all you have to do is not smoke, and be decent at soccer and you'll be paid 40k a year to play in front of 5,000 people in suburbs of big cities across America.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The MLS also blows.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    plus, if you actually read the essay I posted (which I'm sure you didn't). It's true, pro soccer players just look like average guys. People don't idolize guys who look just like them and act like bags. We want to be Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, and other athletes we know we could never be. Thats why people are facinated with Tiger Woods and no other golfer on tour. We are all just like every other golfer on the PGA tour, but nowhere close to Tiger

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Baseball can end 0-0 just as easily.

They just keep you at the stadium and you have to sit through extra innings, and by the time you leave you saw yourself a good 6 hours of exciting baseball.
    how often does that happen?

even if, there's still more to baseball than kicking a ball.

singles/doubles/triples are exciting to see, rather than a pass that happens 2052036026 times in a soccer game.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

singles/doubles/triples are exciting to see, rather than a pass that happens 2052036026 times in a soccer game.

you can go to a soccer match and only see 1 or 2 shots on goal. Also, you don't even know when it will end. It's 90 minutes, but it might really be 91 or 92, who knows?! Plus, you have to put up with all the bags taking off their shirts and crying everytime someone kicks their shin guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of Americas great athletes play football and basketball, they want no part in soccer.
    I'm sure Ronaldinho is a pretty great athlete, Carlos Tevez, and that kid Lionel Messi...these guys have a little athletic ability. If you've seen them on the soccer field, you could tell. If Messi were brought up in the US and he played football in HS, I'm sure he could be a of a running back.

Look man, I'm not here to debate which sports are better, because I'm currently in HS and I play football and basketball. But I'm pretty sure that "all of Americas great athletes play football and basketball" comment is just pathetic. My friend that's gonna go to college for soccer is a of an athlete, but he sucks ass at basketball and can't play football because of soccer in the fall. He'd be the fastest kid on our team and would make a great RB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plus, if you actually read the essay I posted (which I'm sure you didn't). It's true, pro soccer players just look like average guys. People don't idolize guys who look just like them and act like bags. We want to be Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, and other athletes we know we could never be. Thats why people are facinated with Tiger Woods and no other golfer on tour. We are all just like every other golfer on the PGA tour, but nowhere close to Tiger
    They act like bags? More so than Terrell Owens and Mike Vick, or Allen Iverson?

Don't even talk to me about golf, that blows.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I'm sure Ronaldinho is a pretty great athlete, Carlos Tevez, and that kid Lionel Messi...these guys have a little athletic ability. If you've seen them on the soccer field, you could tell. If Messi were brought up in the US and he played football in HS, I'm sure he could be a of a running back.

Look man, I'm not here to debate which sports are better, because I'm currently in HS and I play football and basketball. But I'm pretty sure that "all of Americas great athletes play football and basketball" comment is just pathetic. My friend that's gonna go to college for soccer is a of an athlete, but he sucks ass at basketball and can't play football because of soccer in the fall. He'd be the fastest kid on our team and would make a great RB.
    yeah becuase they are American. America is the only country where the good athletes don't want any part in soccer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Singles are very exciting to see, you're right.

Dude...all you see on the highlights of a baseball game are a few strike outs, a few pop outs, and maybe 27 plays where the batter is out at first.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    They act like bags? More so than Terrell Owens and Mike Vick, or Allen Iverson?

Don't even talk to me about golf, that blows.

nuff said. Soccer is a femme sport. Guys don't want any part in it.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I will say this:

The ONLY, ONLY time soccer is entertaining is on end of the game shots or whatever you call them.

The ones where whoever makes the most wins.

ONLY part of soccer that I would watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you just wanna check out some hot male bodies?

Just start watching body bulding compe ions.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count

nuff said. Soccer is a femme sport. Guys don't want any part in it.
    mike dunleavy?

Thread Information