Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A ing picture of some McBride guy sure makes your argument. David Big Papi Ortiz probably has a hot bod, same with Roger Clemens. How about Shaq's 6-pack? It doesn't even get better than that.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I will say this:

The ONLY, ONLY time soccer is entertaining is on end of the game shots or whatever you call them.

The ones where whoever makes the most wins.

ONLY part of soccer that I would watch.

yeah that part isn't so bad, but true soccer guys don't consider that a credible win if they win by penalty kicks.

See hockey is basically soccer, but you would get killed if you put some skates on and skated with those guys. I could fit in on MLS field, and just run around acting like I was doing something.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    alvarez stop sticking up for your argentinian blood

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    A ing picture of some McBride guy sure makes your argument. David Big Papi Ortiz probably has a hot bod, same with Roger Clemens. How about Shaq's 6-pack? It doesn't even get better than that.
    I never have to worry about going to a basketball game or baseball game and having half my team ripping off their shirts for no reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright boys I'm off to lifting and then football practice.

ThunderDan, I'll make sure to take a shirtless picture of myself in the mirror for you. From the information you've given me you'd probably enjoy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never have to worry about going to a basketball game or baseball game and having half my team ripping off their shirts for no reason
    Well, how was that HS football locker room back in your day?

Did you enjoy the showers?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Alright boys I'm off to lifting and then football practice.

ThunderDan, I'll make sure to take a shirtless picture of myself in the mirror for you. From the information you've given me you'd probably enjoy it.

after you score a goal I expect nothing less than a rip off of the shirt, then prancing around like a little prince and hugging and carrying on with your other shirtless teammates

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Thunder Dan reminds me of JGW

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Thunder Dan reminds me of JGW

lol who is that?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    a stud

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do so many people feel so threatened by soccer? I don't get it.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What the , ya watch sports to look at the athletes' bodies?

Baseball players got some of the fattest guys out there, then when you see a muscular baseball player, they're assumed to be on 'roids. So I doubt the popularity of soccer has anything to do with the physique of soccer players. Are NASCAR drivers buff too?

I've been watching the World Cup since 1990 and I got into European League soccer games like 5-6 years ago. That about soccer games ending 0-0 must be some myth that people keep regurgitating. I'd say about 1 every 15-20 matches ends in 0-0 if you observe the English, Spanish and Italian leagues.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I don't think I'm threatened by it, I'm just tierd of hearing how it will be big in a couple years, when in fact it will never get big in the U.S.

You know Hitler, Saddam and Stalin all loved soccer. That should be to no suprise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

nuff said. Soccer is a femme sport. Guys don't want any part in it.
    So I guess that this does prove that Nash is a women than right? He grew up playing such a femme sport

Btw, I think its funny that you think a guy taking his sweaty ass jersey off after a game is femme, I have seen many, many NBA players take their jerseys off after a game to throw in the crowd, pretty diva huh?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    So I guess that this does prove that Nash is a women than right? He grew up playing such a femme sport

you saw him flop like a soccer stud when he was pushed by Horry. It must hurt getting checked into a padded wall. They should have taken him off on that board they do in soccer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I'm threatened by it, I'm just tierd of hearing how it will be big in a couple years, when in fact it will never get big in the U.S.

You know Hitler, Saddam and Stalin all loved soccer. That should be to no suprise
    You sound very threatened from your numerous attempts discrediting soccer as a sport.

To be honest, I don't think it will ever be big in the US either. There are too many xenophobes who won't accept soccer because isn't "Made in the USA" or they're offended that rest of the world calls it "football". But on the other hand, soccer is very popular with the hispanic population which also happens to be the fastest growing minority group. As this group grows so does their purchasing power. As purchasing power shifts so will trends so who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's much easier to stick with what they know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah becuase they are American. America is the only country where the good athletes don't want any part in soccer
    Because historically there hasn't been a pro league in the US offering guaranteed decimillion contracts to play the game, among other reasons.

As the MLS grows and player salaries grow, you can bet that the number of athletes playing the game will grow as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And questioning the athleticism of players in the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, MLS, etc...is rather stupid. Sure, you could fit in there, just like you could fit in on a NBA court if you just ran up and down the 94 feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's much easier to stick with what they know.
    Good point. It is more challenging to explore a new sport. Most viewers probably do not want to be challenged when being entertained.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But on the other hand, soccer is very popular with the hispanic population which also happens to be the fastest growing minority group. As this group grows so does their purchasing power. As purchasing power shifts so will trends so who knows.

Yeah, didn't you see the minimum wage just went up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, didn't you see the minimum wage just went up?
    Please elaborate Captain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal minimum wage goes up today

Click-2-Listen
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007

By Erin Quinn

Tribune-Herald staff writer

In her black visor and purple Taco Cabana polo shirt, 54-year-old Alice Carreon spent Monday morning sweeping up the Waco fast food restaurant’s parking lot.

Dirty diapers. Beer bottles. Half-drunken fountain drinks that leaked soda on her shoes when she picked them up.

The soft-spoken mother of six and grandmother of 13 has been working in Waco fast food restaurants for the past 10 years. She has no car. And the bills just keep piling up.

She married too young at 15, she said, and never had a chance to have dreams of her own.

While she makes $6.25 an hour, $1.10 more than minimum wage, Carreon is hoping that the federally mandated $2.10 increase in minimum wage which takes effect today will help her.

The raise will be phased in between now and summer 2009. Minimum wage workers will get an additional 70-cent boost each summer for the next two years, ending in 2009 at $7.25 an hour. That comes to just above $15,000 yearly before taxes for a 52-week work year.

Someone in such a job and earning $5.85 an hour would bring home $12,168 a year before taxes. The federal poverty level for singles is $10,210, for couples is $13,690 and is $17,170 for families of three.

Congressman Chet Edwards released a statement Monday saying 1.7 million Texans will benefit from the increase.

“I believe an honest day’s work deserves an honest day’s pay and this needed increase rewards work, not welfare,” he states in the release. “This increase is long overdue.”

The hike in minimum wage is the first in a decade. About 1.7 million people made $5.15 or less in 2006, according to the U.S. Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“The reality for a minimum wage worker is that every penny makes a difference because low-wage workers make the choice between putting food on the table and paying for electricity or buying clothes for their children,” said Beth Shulman, former vice president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.

Poverty and the minimum wage are becoming a major issue in the Democratic presidential race. John Edwards and Barack Obama are emphasizing raising the minimum wage during their tours of impoverished areas.

Edwards, who said he wants to eliminate poverty within a generation, favors raising the minimum wage to $9.50. Obama is advocating a “living wage” that would go up as inflation rises and he has promised to eliminate the phrase “working poor.”

More than two dozen states and the District of Columbia already have minimum wages higher than the federal one. Even in those states, an increase in the federal minimum wage probably will have a ripple effect.

“It’s a long overdue first step,” said Cindia Cameron, the national organizing director of 9to5, the National Association of Working Women. Minimum wage workers typically are young, single and female and are often black or Hispanic.

Even when the full increase is enacted, minimum wage workers will be just scraping by. “It’s not enough money to meet your basic needs, I’m talking about your rent, your gas, and gas to get back and forth to work,” said Sonya Murphy, head organizer of the Mississippi Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

But at the same time, employers who pay many of these low-wage workers say increasing the minimum wage only means they have to raise the prices of the products, cut back on employees’ hours or let some workers go.

“When you go into the grocery story now, you may be checking your own groceries, you may be bagging your own groceries,” said Jill Jenkins, chief economist for the Employment Policies Ins ute. “All of these things are because of mandated wage hikes. When you have to pay more, employers begin to find other options to keep costs down.”

According to the National Restaurant Association, the last minimum wage increase cost the restaurant industry more than 146,000 jobs and restaurant owners put off plans to hire an additional 106,000 employees.

At $7.25 an hour, the most likely response from restaurants will be “increases in menu prices, elimination of some positions and reduction of staff hours to try and offset some of the increased labor costs,” said Brendan Flanagan, the association’s vice president of federal relations.

Others say the effect on the economy will be negligible.

A PNC Economic Outlook survey done in April showed three out of four small- and middle-market business owners said raising the minimum wage would have little or no impact on their businesses. “In a tighter labor market, they already raised wages to be compe ive,” said Stuart Hoffman, chief economist for PNC Financial Services Group.

Regardless, Edwards states “The bottom line is that Americans who work in full-time jobs should not be living in poverty in the United States of America.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which of course means all hispanics earn the minimum wage. Did jgw hack CaptMike's handle?

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ... the amount of ignorance being displayed in this thread is mind boggling. Capt Mike, you´re just being a . You know nothing about football, and yet talk like you're a ing expert, plus that little dig about Buenos Aires

Let me tell you something son, the average Argentinian knows world geography, THAT we know... its math and physics that s us up. As to the part about Buenos Aires being equal to New York's crappy parts just makes me realize you've most likely spent an hour or two going from the airport to the bus terminal to get to Bariloche. You know about Buenos Aires, and if you'd known anything about football, you wouldn't have had to resort to idiotic little insults like those to prove your point.

I don't speak for SAtown or the others. I don't think football is the greatest sport. I do think people like you simply bag on football because you don't play it. Its the same bull at ude displayed in American politics between Repubs and Demos... "I like this... so anything else is inferior!... whatever makes sense" Its bull partisanship.

Football has its qualities and you people saying that you could be a pro football player are out of your ing minds. It takes a of a lot of skill to play professional football, and I'm not talking playing for 40k a year in the states I'm talking the elite. Those bagging on football simply because its not an American sport should really think twice about what they are criticizing and why. I'm not saying you should like it, but don't knock it just because. Same goes for those claiming football is the greatest sport of all time.

Thread Information