Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...Que?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone that has said they could play professional football in this thread, even MLS, is ing kidding themselves, no matter how long you played it or how good you are at other sports, no chance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young, single and female and are often black or Hispanic.
    Look. I can copy and paste too

Can you elaborate a little?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I got that from South Park.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the comments being made by Thunder Dan and NorCal510 are so naive and down right ignorant that they don't even merit responses...

No, Thunder Dan.... you would easily get yanked out of a professional soccer game by minute 10, even if you happened to be in the best shape of your life.

You still need tactical discernment...
    skills
    talent
    and vision...

Since you don't understand the sport well enough to be able to elaborate on why all of these attributes are needed... how then can you even make such comments???

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Good point. It is more challenging to explore a new sport. Most viewers probably do not want to be challenged when being entertained.
    I know everything there is to know about soccer. Like I said, I played it up until the 9th grade. It is still boring.

The MLS will never take off. All the great talent in soccer will go overseas to the people who care about it.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    anyone that has said they could play professional football in this thread, even MLS, is ing kidding themselves, no matter how long you played it or how good you are at other sports, no chance
    look at MLS rosters. Most of the guys are just out of college and are playing it b/c it beats any other job out of college. When they get older they just give it up, and the good ones move over seas. It's basically just minor league baseball. Except people actually try to be minor league baseball players so its harder to become one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know everything there is to know about soccer. Like I said, I played it up until the 9th grade. It is still boring.

The MLS will never take off. All the great talent in soccer will go overseas to the people who care about it.
    I didn't mean you personally. More in a general sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read
    what is there to know about soccer? Like I have learned alot about baseball like pitching situations and when to send guys off and running, when to pinch hit and that sort of thing. But is there really anything in depth to know about soccer other than on penalty and corner kicks where to send guys? Not really

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what is there to know about soccer? Like I have learned alot about baseball like pitching situations and when to send guys off and running, when to pinch hit and that sort of thing. But is there really anything in depth to know about soccer other than on penalty and corner kicks where to send guys? Not really
    I just find the notion that one would claim to know everything about a sport because one played it until the 9th grade funny.
    Maybe your right as far as the game being played itself, rules and what not, but as far as the leagues, tournaments, and players are concerned, it would take a little more convincing

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I just find the notion that one would claim to know everything about a sport because one played it until the 9th grade funny.
    Maybe your right as far as the game being played itself, rules and what not, but as far as the leagues, tournaments, and players are concerned, it would take a little more convincing
    I do understand all the European leagues and how they work. I understand all of that. I think that part is awesome. I wish American sports had the followings set up the way they are in Europe where you root for your town's team. I also like how your record determines your future and what league you play in. All of that is cool, I wish it were like that over here (like my favorite team, the Browns should have been kicked out of the NFL by now). So all of that is cool, but the sport itself it brutal to try to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do understand all the European leagues and how they work. I understand all of that. I think that part is awesome. I wish American sports had the followings set up the way they are in Europe where you root for your town's team. I also like how your record determines your future and what league you play in. All of that is cool, I wish it were like that over here (like my favorite team, the Browns should have been kicked out of the NFL by now). So all of that is cool, but the sport itself it brutal to try to watch.
    Well I guess that could be said for all sports, just depends on what you gravitate towards
    I dont understand how people can watch Nascar, but thats just me.
    And I really cant understand how American fans can claim soccer is boring to watch, but baseball is exciting
    Regardless though, my personal feelings only mean that it doesnt do it for me, doesnt make the sport boring

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is a much different stance than blowing off the sport in one fell swoop, and suggesting that anyone could do it....

If becoming an elite soccer player were easy to do... I would have quit my day job to join Real Madrid, FC Barcelona or the likes....

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Does soccer need the United States?

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    give me a break! you think because you played it 'till you were what? 14 you know everything there is to know about the sport? seriously, you know jack ! if all there was to know about the sport you could learn by 14, coaching a team to win the UEFA cup would be a cake walk. Like in everything else, the challenge isn't in crappy highschool quality football, its in the REAL THING, where pros play pros and the game is taken to the ultimate level. So you played in high school, big deal, doesn't mean anything.

see, thats the problem here. American's think football is their high school "soccer", and thats bull ! Thats like comparing the major leagues with peewee baseball. Just so its clear, nobody is talking about the football you played when you were 14, alright?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan, I used to do more dunks than him on my Fisher Price basketball net...

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    soccer and the haters in this thread

sport... tennis is harder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after you score a goal I expect nothing less than a rip off of the shirt, then prancing around like a little prince and hugging and carrying on with your other shirtless teammates
    Well we go by touchdowns and field goals in football.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    soccer and the haters in this thread

sport... tennis is harder.
    Norcal you have 30 pounds and about 4 inches on me and I'd still make you my in anything.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Norcal you have 30 pounds and about 4 inches on me and I'd still make you my in anything.
    dude, how do you know this? you don't even know my athletic capabilities.

dude, i'd rock you in these sports: football (could go either way), basketball, baseball, volleyball, tennis

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    btw, you are 5'9 150lbs? how can you be playing football...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw, you are 5'9 150lbs? how can you be playing football...?
    Im probably 5'8" actually. My weight is also pretty deceiving, I can't gain weight, I've talked about it in another thread a while ago. Most people who guess my weight think I weigh 165. I've also been getting stronger this year, gaining muscle, but my weight stays the same.

How? I don't know, being pretty quick, tough, and strong typically makes a decent corner or safety. Believe it or not I'm actually better known as a receiver than a corner, even though most receivers gotta be like 6'3" at least?

What a dumb comment. How can Earl Boykins be in the NBA when he's 5'5" and 130 lbs???? What about Mugsy Bogues when he played?
    Last edited by ALVAREZ6; 07-25-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Soccer will never be big in the us because americans have a love for instant gratification. They want to see thier team winning by means of score, they want to see flashy plays that actually "score".

I love basketball but youll never see me travel to other parts of the world to watch our team play in a world wide tourny, unless it was at the oly only cause Im there to watch soccer in the first place!
    That's basically all there is to it. Americans like points. We are infactuated with points. We like to see those points with a little "style." IF soccer ever counts a goal as 3 points each and they did it with style, I GUARANTEE the popularity of the sport will skyrocket in this country. But I hope that never happens. It's a beautiful sport to watch if you actual sat down and learned the game. What I don't like about the sport is that they don't mind settling for ties. That also will not sit well with Americans.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Im probably 5'8" actually. My weight is also pretty deceiving, I can't gain weight, I've talked about it in another thread a while ago. Most people who guess my weight think I weigh 165. I've also been getting stronger this year, gaining muscle, but my weight stays the same.

How? I don't know, being pretty quick, tough, and strong typically makes a decent corner or safety. Believe it or not I'm actually better known as a receiver than a corner, even though most receivers gotta be like 6'3" at least?

What a dumb comment. How can Earl Boykins be in the NBA when he's 5'5" and 130 lbs???? What about Mugsy Bogues when he played?
    umm, mugsy bogues or boykins doesn't have to take down shaq, where as in football, a smaller guy (you) is expected to take down the bigger dudes.

yours was a dumb comment, actually.

being small in basketball > being small in football

Thread Information