Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 1st world nation on the same boat with the U.S. (economically speaking of course)
    Exactly what was first world about communist East Germany?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At low levels (kids), soccer is a sport where even the little fat, uncoordinated, clumsy kids can still run around and kick at a ball and feel like they are participating. The parents of the non-athletic kids can actually get involved in sports this way too. The better athletes then graduate to basketball, football, or baseball when they get older.

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    At low levels (kids), soccer is a sport where even the little fat, uncoordinated, clumsy kids can still run around and kick at a ball and feel like they are participating. The parents of the non-athletic kids can actually get involved in sports this way too. The better athletes then graduate to basketball, football, or baseball when they get older.
    What about that little nerdy white kid with down syndrome that dropped 30pts in one quarter? What does that say about basketball? and if you think that every football player is in better shape than most soccer players then you just have your head buried in your ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? From what I've seen there's always been places for the fat kids on football and baseball teams and a place for the tall uncoordinated kids on basketball teams.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly what was first world about communist East Germany?

Guessed I skipped over the "East" the first time around...

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    that is basically the essay I posted in a nuts

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Really? From what I've seen there's always been places for the fat kids on football and baseball teams and a place for the tall uncoordinated kids on basketball teams.
    Those fat kids can't up in soccer. Nothingness is expected. In baseball those kids run the risk of striking out 4x a game, or getting killed in football. In soccer they can just run around and fit in. They could go a whole season without even placing a foot on a ball, and nobody would even notice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is my take.

American Football is ing boring as . It is about 30 min of actual game play with about 2.5hrs of time outs, play calling, injuries, etc...The sport was made for TV advertising...the reason 90% of americans love it so much, is because they have been force fed this crap since they were born. TV loves football because it lets them parade 2hrs of commercials to a brain dead audience thinking they are watching sports.

Baseball...I kind of like it, i played it for 7 years....but to watch an MLB game on TV is just ing brutal. What a boring sport to watch, i mean a bunch of guys stand around while 2 people kinda do something...o a hit! oh nevermind its an out...oh well...lets go to a commercial! 9 innings the score is 0-0...well lets keep it going!!! 16 innings later score 1 - 0....a winner! how exciting he hit a homerun, while the rest of the team sat around and played DS in the dugout!

Soccer is a constant movement game, constant adjustments and strategy, its a defensive contest to see who can make teh adjustments to break the defense...i love the structure of the leagues as the previous poster mentioned, i love the continual play of the games (without having commercials crammed down my throat for 3hrs) I love the strategy and the constant push and pull of the two teams till one breaks open...I dont need lots of points to entertain me, i enjoy athletes competing, and if you think these guys are not extremely talented athletes, you really need to rethink wtf you call an athlete...This is a sport that is ABOUT the sport, and not about the thousands of endorsements and commercials....its a game, and its over...nothing in between. IF you think american football is about anything other than TV money, your are kidding yourself...it is ALL about selling you , the sports are just the byproduct to keep you watching the commercials. Case in point is the damn super bowl...which should be renamed the "commercial bowl"

Take ing poker and nascar off the damn TV...the fact that american's have decided these things are sports television worthy ing baffel me...Some fat sits around and gets lucky, wins thousands of dollars!!! oohhhh thats sports history!!!

Some redneck soops up his car and drives around in circles for 10,000 miles...wow!!! look at that!!!

ughh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you about a 0-0 nine inning baseball game and then say you don't need points to entertain you a paragraph later?

On soccer:

(1) Nobody except the ref knows what time it really is.

(2) Nobody except the ref knows when the game is ending.

(3) 90 minutes (plus, depending on extra time) divided over two halves is way too long for my attention span. Why can't they play 15 minute quarters like the indoor teams used to? And yes, I like the time outs in football and basketball - gives me a chance to piss / get another beer / socialize while not missing any action.

(4) I'm somewhat baffled that a country with the athletic resources of the United States, population 300 million, loses to Ghana or to the left hand remnant of Czechoslovakia by 3 goals. Call it elitist or whatever. We should be able to put 11 Nike-clad, IMG trained American kids out and beat Ghana in everything from soccer to speed quarters.

I'm with you on Nascar and poker. It's fun to drive fast and play cards for money, but that doesn't mean I want to watch it on television.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you about a 0-0 nine inning baseball game and then say you don't need points to entertain you a paragraph later?
    Well i think watching a game that may end in a draw is a little more exciting to watch when you have action the whole time (soccer). in a 0-0 baseball game, you really have maybe 2 to 4 players out of 10 actually doing anything at all remotely athletic at any given time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm somewhat baffled that a country with the athletic resources of the United States, population 300 million, loses to Ghana or to the left hand remnant of Czechoslovakia by 3 goals. Call it elitist or whatever. We should be able to put 11 Nike-clad, IMG trained American kids out and beat Ghana in everything from soccer to speed quarters.
    Because it isnt about winning really in american sports. it is about selling the out of the merchandise. IT is about at ude, and chest thumping, and how many bentleys you drive and how big of rims can you fit on them. If you are model quality young guy, with a bentley and 45" rims with plutonium teeth, you are a superstar, and of course assumed you are good at what you do.

you go out there and play against the in grinders of the world, the ghana's, and the eastern euro's who basically lived off of soccer their whole lives, who slept using a damn soccer ball as a pillow...a soccer ball that their family saved up 3 months salary to buy...these guys got nothing to hide, so they rely solely on their skills to get it done. They have the drive and hunger that most amercan athletes have kind of lost...if an american athlete is not going to make 5 brazillion dollars for bending his leg....he'd rather not be bothered...bring on the rims es!

thats why i think america is often exposed on the world stage in most sports.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it isnt about winning really in american sports. it is about selling the out of the merchandise. IT is about at ude, and chest thumping, and how many bentleys you drive and how big of rims can you fit on them. If you are model quality young guy, with a bentley and 45" rims with plutonium teeth, you are a superstar, and of course assumed you are good at what you do.

you go out there and play against the in grinders of the world, the ghana's, and the eastern euro's who basically lived off of soccer their whole lives, who slept using a damn soccer ball as a pillow...a soccer ball that their family saved up 3 months salary to buy...these guys got nothing to hide, so they rely solely on their skills to get it done. They have the drive and hunger that most amercan athletes have kind of lost...if an american athlete is not going to make 5 brazillion dollars for bending his leg....he'd rather not be bothered...bring on the rims es!

thats why i think america is often exposed on the world stage in most sports.
    hmm... most sports? seriously, you don't watch a lot of sports do ya? About the only two sports I can think of where the US sucks are rugby and football, other than that the US is first or top ten in every other sport. Think about it. Of course the US has the best athletes in the world, but doesn't mean when it comes to football. What Thunder Dan said is bull , and with every comment he adds, it becomes abundantly clear that he knows about football.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    World Sports: Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, baseball, hocky...

How many have the us dominated, i cant really even think of one...but maybe im wrong?

PS: i guess i should validate my statement and say team sports...
    Last edited by Soul_Patch; 07-30-2007 at 01:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    World Sports: Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, baseball, hocky...

How many have the us dominated, i cant really even think of one...but maybe im wrong?

PS: i guess i should validate my statement and say team sports...
    The US dominates basketball...all bull aside. Sure, they haven't been that successful these past years, but there's no doubt that USA is and always will be the basketball rulers. Baseball? With the amount of the population in the US and how popular it is, they probably should dominate it, but they're still up there. I don't really know baseball so I won't go into that.

Rugby...you're right they suck. No idea about Hockey...does Canada own that?

And soccer....well, certainly not.

But they definitely own basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so....there is arguably ONE sport they dominate, but really havent in the past 10 years.

Hockey is definately not owned by americans

Baseball gets its talent from asia, cuba and other latin american communities

rugby....i really dont even know since i dont think its ever been publicised at all...for that matter i didnt even really know america had a national rugby team.

Basketball...well...like i said, its been years since we have won anything on the world stage...aren't we on the ropes for even qualifying for the next olympics?

you know when the US stopped being dominating in basketball? When shoe endorsements, blingbling and corporate ownership of players became more important than the sport.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    hmm... most sports? seriously, you don't watch a lot of sports do ya? About the only two sports I can think of where the US sucks are rugby and football, other than that the US is first or top ten in every other sport. Think about it. Of course the US has the best athletes in the world, but doesn't mean when it comes to football. What Thunder Dan said is bull , and with every comment he adds, it becomes abundantly clear that he knows about football.
    America is not the best in baseball (see 2006 WBC) America does not dominate golf (see Ryder Cups over the last century) I thank god we suck at soccer.- just another comment from Thunder Dan
    Last edited by Thunder Dan; 07-30-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America is not the best in baseball (see 2006 WBC) America does not dominate golf (see Ryder Cups over the last century) I thank god we suck at soccer.- just another comment from Thunder Dan
    notice I said first or top ten... so yeah, another comment from you

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On soccer:

(1) Nobody except the ref knows what time it really is.

(2) Nobody except the ref knows when the game is ending.

(3) 90 minutes (plus, depending on extra time) divided over two halves is way too long for my attention span. Why can't they play 15 minute quarters like the indoor teams used to? And yes, I like the time outs in football and basketball - gives me a chance to piss / get another beer / socialize while not missing any action.

(4) I'm somewhat baffled that a country with the athletic resources of the United States, population 300 million, loses to Ghana or to the left hand remnant of Czechoslovakia by 3 goals. Call it elitist or whatever. We should be able to put 11 Nike-clad, IMG trained American kids out and beat Ghana in everything from soccer to speed quarters.

I'm with you on Nascar and poker. It's fun to drive fast and play cards for money, but that doesn't mean I want to watch it on television.
    Weak arguments

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree

Thread Information