My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- The "Real Deal" has the opportunity he was looking for. Evander Holyfield will face Sultan Ibragimov for the WBO heavyweight le at Khodynka Arena in Moscow on October 13.

The chance for Holyfield to win a heavyweight le for the fifth time in his Hall of Fame career came when WBA heavyweight champ Ruslan Chagaev pulled out of the bout against Ibragimov for undisclosed reasons.

"This is the first step on my quest to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, and I'm glad Sultan Ibragimov was willing to step up and give me a shot," Holyfield said. "I'm looking forward to fighting in Moscow for the first time and winning my fifth heavyweight le there."

Not nearly the fighter he used to be when he defeated the likes of Mike Tyson, Rid Bowe and Larry Holmes among others, the 44-year-old Holyfield (42-8-2, 27 KOs) has won his last four bouts. He won a unanimous decision over Lou Savarese in his last fight on June 30.

Holyfield's winning streak has come on the heels of losing a unanimous decision to Larry Donald in New York in 2004. In August 2005, the New York Daily News reported that the New York State Athletic Commission had banned Holyfield from boxing in New York due to "diminishing skills."

A 2000 Olympic Silver medalist for Russia, Ibragimov (21-0-1, 17 KOs) won the WBO belt in June when he won a decision from Shannon Briggs.

"Of course I'm disappointed that Chagaev pulled out of our fight and won't allow me to unify our les, but fighting a legend like Evan Holyfield is even better," Ibragimov said. "And though I respect what he has done in his career, once the bell rings it will be all business, because he is trying to take what I have worked so hard for - my world championship."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
    Last edited by Evan; 08-02-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Holyfied was on with Mauro (Aug 2nd - second segment - after Joe Doerksen)
    http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/programs/fight/

Evander sounds S L O W...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pretty sad.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Hasnt Holyfield retire yet? Is the light-heavy division that void of competent fighters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holyfied was on with Mauro (Aug 2nd - second segment - after Joe Doerksen)
    http://www.hardcoresportsradio.com/programs/fight/

Evander sounds S L O W...
    he sounds the same if not a little better to me.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    a week or two back on espn classic they showed one of holyfields early fights from 1988. it's 2007 and dude is still getting in the ring, racking up some wins. that is pretty impressive even if i think he shoulda retired some time back.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    he sounds the same if not a little better to me.
    He was on The Ticket in Dallas earlier this year and all anybody could talk about was how bad he sounded... (I think he was in studio)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Last time I heard him (think it was the ticket) he sounded real bad. Like someone who went to bed a bit drunk and was waken up an hour later with a microhpone.

But thats how these punch drunk guys get, they have good and bad days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was on The Ticket in Dallas earlier this year and all anybody could talk about was how bad he sounded... (I think he was in studio)
    He's always sounded terrible. At the beginning of his career I couldn't understand a word he said. There's no doubt the guy has taken way too many hits, but I didn't hear the "Meldrick Taylor" type of slurring in that clip. Nevertheless, I would say he should retire, but I'm sort of rooting for him.

Thread Information